IGNORED

Darko spreading misinformation.

6 hours ago, plissken said:

I think it's funny when people debate the finer points of fidelity when it comes to turn-tables. It's like self proclaimed surgeons debating spit and polish vs elbow grease when it comes to sterilizing their scalpel.

Well, if you're stuck playing LPs then you care.

Some LP albums never made it to CD or files, some sound better on LP, some LPs can be found where the CDs can't be found...

4 hours ago, Richard Dale said:

The video is about the usability problems of entry level decks, such as the Rega Planar 2. For instance, the Rega lacks automatic speed changing and you need to move the belt on the pulley to switch from 33 to 45 rpm, it doesn’t have any sort of leveling system, you can’t adjust the vertical tracking angle on the arm, and it doesn’t have a detachable head shell.

For a little more money the Technics fixes these usability problems, although John Darko actually prefers the sound of the Rega/Denon cartridge combo. At no point did he call either of these decks ‘high end’, and so I fail to see what your point is.

He signed off by saying 'if you like my attitude to high end audio, its not always about sound quality but also funtionality and aesthetics'. 

He also scored the Rega 2 nine out of ten.

Any inkling what my point is? 

22 minutes ago, Rexp said:

He signed off by saying 'if you like my attitude to high end audio, its not always about sound quality but also funtionality and aesthetics'. 

He also scored the Rega 2 nine out of ten.

Any inkling what my point is? 

There's nothing wrong in saying that we can choose functionality over SQ. Obviously, having both is preferable. 

As for his ratings, I actually don't follow Darko, but I think his audience is more interested in "mid-range" gear (price wise) - high end is relative. 1000$ equipment is "high end" to a general public. 

Saying he is spreading "misinformation" is a little excessive. If you don't like him, don't waste your time watching his videos :) 

1 hour ago, hopkins said:

There's nothing wrong in saying that we can choose functionality over SQ. Obviously, having both is preferable. 

As for his ratings, I actually don't follow Darko, but I think his audience is more interested in "mid-range" gear (price wise) - high end is relative. 1000$ equipment is "high end" to a general public. 

Saying he is spreading "misinformation" is a little excessive. If you don't like him, don't waste your time watching his videos :) 

High end audio is not a reletive term. It is reserved for the pinnacle of music reproduction. 

13 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

GUTB also considers price to be the only indicator of what is, and what isn't, high end enough. In my opinion, it's an attitude guaranteed to drive people away from audiophilia.

You know what the number one thing I hear from people immediately after they tell me that they want better sound?  "I'm not an audiophile or anything." And its because of exactly that attitude. A good friend of mine recently bought a Rega turntable and he was really excited about it. What do you think would have happened if I had come at him with the attitude of, it sucks because it's not expensive enough?

Quite a strange response since I didn't mention price. 

The pinnacle is pretty easy to define - assuming you want accuracy ... if the intention is to have a rig be an additional effects unit, the next one in the chain, going on from the last one used when doing the mastering - then all bets are off! 🙂

Continuing from the first goal, if the "high end" system imparts zero audible signature, at any sane volume, for all recordings, then you've got to the top ...

31 minutes ago, March Audio said:

Often it is a term used for a pinnacle in price and not performance.

Very true, on the other hand some people seem to have a problem with all high priced audio gear, a kind of reverse snobbery. 

How odd, I think he has one the most sensible and responsible approaches I've seen.

On 4/18/2021 at 2:58 PM, davide256 said:

I've stopped using anything from Darko. He's more interested in peddling "hip" components then reviewing for comparative merit. Its all about how many

views he gets.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

5 hours ago, Sam Lord said:

How odd, I think he has one the most sensible and responsible approaches I've seen.

Lol, Darko name drops Frank Schroeder fitted the cartridge to his Rega P2, yet Mr Schroeder rightly classes this deck as Entry-level, Darko gives it 9 out of 10. He also pokes fun at the idea there are huge SQ improvements to be had by upgrading. If you've never heard a high end system I guess you might find this comforting.