IGNORED

Darko spreading misinformation.

On 4/20/2021 at 10:11 PM, Rexp said:

Lol, Darko name drops Frank Schroeder fitted the cartridge to his Rega P2, yet Mr Schroeder rightly classes this deck as Entry-level, Darko gives it 9 out of 10. He also pokes fun at the idea there are huge SQ improvements to be had by upgrading. If you've never heard a high end system I guess you might find this comforting. 

I suggest you pay more attention: he did not score the Rega 9 out of 10.  He accurately describes what upgrading brings in many evaluations.  I don't characterize as he does, but misinform is too strong a term.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/23/2021 at 11:37 AM, etane said:

i guess i would be spreading misinfo too.  my very bestest source is a turntable but ended up selling it along with my LP collection.  i got sick of the maintenance, so functionality matters to me.

Funtionality matters more to some, that is not misinfo. Telling folks that their highly functional mid-fi table is almost as good as a high-end table is misinfo. Unfotunately for Darko he doesn't have the ears to tell the diiference. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/25/2021 at 12:33 AM, Rexp said:

Funtionality matters more to some, that is not misinfo. Telling folks that their highly functional mid-fi table is almost as good as a high-end table is misinfo. Unfotunately for Darko he doesn't have the ears to tell the diiference. 

It's not misinfo "Telling folks that their highly functional mid-fi table is almost as good as a high-end table is misinfo". It might be better, never mind almost as good, if it allows them to listen to, and enjoy, more music.

"Unfotunately for Darko he doesn't have the ears to tell the diiference". Maybe he's too busy enjoying the music to care about the difference. In which case, it is the antithesis of "unfortunate" - he's the fortunate one who can forget about listening to the gear and listen to the music.

It is all relative.

On 8/20/2021 at 6:50 PM, RedSwede said:

It's not misinfo "Telling folks that their highly functional mid-fi table is almost as good as a high-end table is misinfo". It might be better, never mind almost as good, if it allows them to listen to, and enjoy, more music.

"Unfotunately for Darko he doesn't have the ears to tell the diiference". Maybe he's too busy enjoying the music to care about the difference. In which case, it is the antithesis of "unfortunate" - he's the fortunate one who can forget about listening to the gear and listen to the music.

It is all relative.

Ya there is no better, its all relative. What a pathetic way to live your life. 

• 4 months later...

In one of his most recent videos (Klipsch Forte IV) Darko now has a Rega P8 with Ortofon (looks like a Cadenza Black).  He was questioned about this in his Letters to the Editor Weeks #49-51 and indicated he has no plans to do a review of it.

Darko hasn't done much in the way of vinyl reviews and it looks like he is focussing more on speakers, amps and digital (and headphones).

With the Rega P8 he may have moved up to better quality while retaining the sound he liked from the P2.  Whether or not a P8 is considered high-end is up to the individual, there are certainly more expensive and better turntables out there, but it is better than the P2.

He reviewed the Mola Mola Kula integrated amp recently (with a phono stage included) and declined to provide any comment on the phono stage.  He was of the view that there are others better placed to judge phono stages.