1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

That was funny. Did I ever said this?

It seems to me that the transmission of sound through an optical cable with the well suited DAC can produce more satisfactory sound than using the usb format. 

I have yet to hear Toslink sound as good  as a quality Coax SPDIF cable where isolation transformers are used for the Coax connection at both ends and 75 ohm BNC connectors are used at both  ends as well .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

3 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

.........................and/or multichannel.

Seriously, who cares about multichannel?  You and about ten other people in the world.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

5 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

It seems to me that the transmission of sound through an optical cable with the well suited DAC can produce more satisfactory sound than using the usb format. 

Must say, from my first experience with using a cheap as chips Toslink optical, that it doesn't appear to be a weak link - so far haven't found it it to be a bottleneck to the SQ.

1 hour ago, LowOrbit said:

To be pedantic (sorry) - USB is serial too. Universal Serial Bus. SPDIF sends the data in l/r frames and the dac uses the frame rate to derive the clock rate.

USB sends data in bursts at a fixed rate (24mhz iirc) and the dac buffers them. The sample rate is explicitly communicated in each burst. The clock renders the data into frames, reads out the buffer (again serial) into the decoding circuit and sound comes out the other end.

So the USB data clock should not matter at all - but many discover that it does.

So explain why  2 data paths D- D+ can be called serial?  Serial in my book means only  1 usable data path, all bits are sequential. if you have 2 or more data paths with clocking thats parallel data transmission.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

15 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

That has been my experience with using a Macbook as my streamer.  I have tried the USB output a few times and I always end up back with the Toslink out.  I would be curious how the USB output of a purpose built streamer such as the Zenith compares.  

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

USB-2 at 480 mbps can deliver all formats of audio but the cost is noise in the receiver and from the cable.  Cable shielding makes a difference, look at the Lush^2 and Lush^3 discussions for experiences.  I now have no USB in the signal path and am using AES/EBU into the DAC and would use optical, not Toslink (phase noise too high with cheap connector) if my DAC supported it.

3 hours ago, Martin Herløv Andersen said:

The Zen has landed, but I can't see it as a roon endpoint, so no sound 😩

Maybe my dac's usb are not compatible with the zen

Fixed it, had to turn on the dac first, then from standby mode turn on the Zen.

Now when I am here. I want to give my initial expression of the sound.

The Zen alone as a roon endpoint sounds a little better than my miniDSP HD Studio, blacker background, voices are warmer.

After listen for an hour I just had to try the Innuos Phoenix USB Reclocker. Cold it sounded good, but after an hour it started to sound really good. It was almost analog, or so I tell my self. But the reclocker is the real star.

1 hour ago, Martin Herløv Andersen said:

But the reclocker is the real star.

I am not surprised this is your finding. That is usually the same conclusion others have when they conduct comparative listening experiments in there own home with quality "usb doohickeys" with an open mind.  

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

4 hours ago, hopkins said:

We probably have forgotten  what a good system should sound like.

Heck, I've even been told recently by someone that a 1950s track sounded bad in his system because the system was so transparent. The power of self-persuasion is very strong :) It is often so easy to believe that spending thousands of dollars is going to be the recipe for success. If you have the latest uber-expensuve gear, why should it sound bad? 

The disease of believing that an ambitious system makes "less than perfect" recordings sound worse is very common, I'm afraid - and lots of people live with the consequences of believing the more expensive the gear, the less has to be done to resolve the final issues with the system. Unfortunately, the converse is true - the greater the capability of the setup, the more that has to be done to optimise every area ... not doing so leads to severe shrinkage of the number of recordings that can be listened to just for the pleasure of it 🙂.

4 hours ago, hopkins said:

On the other hand, you have those who believe transparency to be a bad thing. Sigh... 

Can music be enjoyed regardless of all this? Certainly, but it could be even better (especially if you don't spend your time listening to "audiophile" recordings...). 

Trouble is that it's 'hard', still, to sort out audio playback to the point where every recording "works" - time, energy, focus are all necessary, with lots of frustration on the journey - the end result will be magnificent, so this makes the effort to get there always worthwhile.

41 minutes ago, botrytis said:

People assume USB is bad with sighted listening. Do a blind test, it might surprise you. 

Your brain is biasing your listening against USB.

Your brain is biasing you in favor of USB.  See how easy that is?  

P.S. I am not "anti" USB.  I use USB cables in my audio systems.  I have just found it can be improved.  

6 hours ago, Superdad said:

I do seem to recall you enjoyed and recommended our original USB REGEN:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/uptone-audio-usb-regen
Just sayin’... 9_9

Guilty.  Here's the windup:

Because it's obviously built to a price, the U-DAC8 would be a likely candidate for some of the many devices offered to improve USB transmission or power supply; of the several such things I looked into, the first to arrive was UpTone Audio's USB Regen ($175)............................................................

......................I inserted it between my Mac mini (running Windows 7 via Apple's Boot Camp) and the U-DAC8;

Here's the pitch:

If it could work the same magic with higher-priced DACs such as my exaSound e28, the UpTone USB Regen, at $175, would qualify as a logical addition. But I don't yet know, because I lent the e28 to JA.

And here's the swing:

I stopped using the USB REGEN when the exaSound DAC returned to my system and I adopted the Baetis Prodigy (including the SoTM tX USBhubIN) as my source.  The insertion of the USB REGEN into that setup made no apparent difference.   

I do use it (thank you!) with the looooong Corning Optical USB cable to insert the missing 5V supply when necessary.  And I have no complaints about it in this application.  

So, I have no problems using add-ons (or doohickeys) when they are useful and effective but the climate here seems to deter USB users by implying that even a basic setup, regardless of what is on each end of the cable, demands several of them.  

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

19 hours ago, Martin Herløv Andersen said:

Fixed it, had to turn on the dac first, then from standby mode turn on the Zen.

Now when I am here. I want to give my initial expression of the sound.

The Zen alone as a roon endpoint sounds a little better than my miniDSP HD Studio, blacker background, voices are warmer.

After listen for an hour I just had to try the Innuos Phoenix USB Reclocker. Cold it sounded good, but after an hour it started to sound really good. It was almost analog, or so I tell my self. But the reclocker is the real star.

The Zen's claim to fame is as a 1 box server/USB endpoint. I'll be curious as to what you think after using it that way with the built in innuOS playback software.

Should sound better than Roon because of hardware optimization.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system