IGNORED

Paul's view on Cables, Audio Precision Analyzer, etc.

Blake

20 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

Anecdote, very recent event...

First, admittedly my engineering life is mostly objective.  However, sometimes a correspondent will mention that some results do not sound correct.  Man, it can really be a body-blow, and takes me a few minutes to quit the emotional response.  More often than not, that frustrating subjective observation is definitely finding something 'odd' or 'wrong'.   The problem for us who tend towards objective analysis is that we don't always know how to measure everything.  There are so many nuances in certain kinds of design that a measurment device that measures 'everything' important about a design or product just does not exist.   Some measurements are impractical to make.

----

Remember this true anecdote from the deep past (in the early '70s):

For those locked into objective and subjective thought -- EITHER ONE -- BOTH need to remember what happened about TIM (Transient intermodulation distortion), often a component of slew induced distortion/internal slew limits.

The pure objectivist should remember that sometimes we don't know how to measure everything.  Listen to the subjectivist, because sometimes they are giving critical information that could be helpful.  TIM isn't measured very well by the traditional HD measurement techniques, even IMD techniques have troubles.   As designs concepts change, then various things become more or less of a challenge (e.g. high transconductances like BJT transistors vs. vacuum tubes lower transconductances can seem an improvement, but also can encourage the slew induced distortion above.)

The pure subjectivist should remember that if a difference can be heard, then eventually we should try to figure out why.   Be aware and sensitive that the objectivist wants to do everything accurately and correctly, and even they can have also negative emotional responses. Often become frustrated that their works haven't done as well as they had hoped.  We might not know now (maybe never) how to objectively detect the failing as described by the subjectivist, but the objectivist will try to at least verify and understand.  The subjectivist should have more faith in the objective way of thinking also.

-----------------

If both parties can bridge the two major ways of thinking, then the mutual understanding would be improved.  No one is 100% correct all of the time.  Myself, I am less correct than most people, most of the time, but I keep on trying to do things  :-).

John

Well said John.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

9 minutes ago, Blake said:

I enjoyed both interviews.  The interesting tidbits to me from the two interviews:

1. PS Audio has the Audio Precision Analyzer.  Paul says the AP will show no measured differences when Ted Smith updates operating system code for PS Audio's Directstream DAC, yet it seems users definitely hear differences between different firmware code versions.

2. None of the engineers polled by Darko (PS Audio, Simaudio, MBL, Gordon Rankin) sell usb cables, but all say audible differences can exist between usb cables.  So they don't have a financial interest in making those claims.

3. Simaudio's Costa Koulisakis seems to be very much in the objective, measurement camp, but still believes usb cables can make audible differences.

My current thinking is, all the objective/subject debates revolve around the issue of whether the current measurement gear available today is capable of measuring every single sonic aspect/element that humans can perceive.  This also assumes we can characterize all aspects of sound and then set up measurement parameters for all of these sonic aspects.

If you believe we can measure all sonic aspects, then game over.  Things become very simple.  It also follows that if two components measure the same, they will sound 100% identical (identical sound staging, imaging, same amount of detail, timbre, tonal balance etc.).

If you believe there are at least some sonic aspects we cannot measure (even if say, we can measure 95% of what humans can detect), then things are not so straight-forward and one has to rely on our subjective observations for those aspects we cannot measure. 

Isn't it really as simple as that?

It seems like it should be that simple (or almost that simple). The problems arise when people on the extremes of the continuum push their beliefs on others. 

I don't believe in any higher power. I have no problem with others believing in a higher power or even the tooth fairy. I have no desire to find a tooth fairy forum and tell them they are all crazy. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

43 minutes ago, mansr said:

I don't feel stifled if others disagree. I feel stifled when they tell me to shut up.

I would feel stifled in that case as well. However, most on both sides don't use the words shut up. They weave a couple paragraphs or sentences that say everything except shut up and it has the same effect. 

@John Dyson

I'm curious how much you think the local environment might come into play as well, since it seems many of have theorized the differences (in cables esp) are down to the shielding of EM/RF etc.? For example, I work from home (photographer) so have a lot more banks of hard drives, computers, printers, etc all in close proximity to the networking gear and hifi(s). And if I snoop, there's at least a dozen or more wifi signals we're picking up from our urban-ish environment. I see it as yet another possible factor to be reasoned into the scientific analysis of the cable and switch sound theories. Which of course would be infinitely variable among consumers. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

22 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I would feel stifled in that case as well. However, most on both sides don't use the words shut up. They weave a couple paragraphs or sentences that say everything except shut up and it has the same effect. 

Yes, we all need to knock off the semantic dinging, which imo is the last resort of those who have nothing, and may as well constitute a 'shut up.' Just saw that big time from one side during a certain 'trial' that happened recently (and that's as far as I'll bring politics into this, and I'm not saying it doesn't happen on both sides of our argument). 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

Great reasoned response John. And I would imagine this design amelioration can come at a cost, so if one is not prepared or financially able to go up the ladder like that, then more inexpensive techniques (such as using a used commercial switch) can be of benefit. 

you may be interested in the Leica rendering thread I started a few days ago

you mentioned other WiFi signals... they are not very likely to constitute a noise source in your equipment - you can ''see' them because they are recognizable by your own WiFi system which is designed to pick up those signals at as low a level as possible

the visual analogy would be enough light to see by not causing sunburn

1 hour ago, John Dyson said:

Anecdote, very recent event...First, admittedly my engineering life is mostly objective. 

John

Thanks for your informative, educational and refreshing posts John. 

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

5 hours ago, John Dyson said:

Audiophile hobbyists who are involved in their own system improvements can benefit from both an objectivist and subjectivist viewpoint, but alas emotional religion gets in the way too often.

John

That doesn't prevent some of us from working well together though. ¬¬

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

3 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

@John Dyson

I'm curious how much you think the local environment might come into play as well, since it seems many of have theorized the differences (in cables esp) are down to the shielding of EM/RF etc.? For example, I work from home (photographer) so have a lot more banks of hard drives, computers, printers, etc all in close proximity to the networking gear and hifi(s). And if I snoop, there's at least a dozen or more wifi signals we're picking up from our urban-ish environment. I see it as yet another possible factor to be reasoned into the scientific analysis of the cable and switch sound theories. Which of course would be infinitely variable among consumers. 

Good discussion going on ... from my viewpoint where most people in this game quite resoundingly "miss the point" is that they want to narrow down on a specific item, area, or "thing" that is all-important, that guarantees a result, one way or the other - both subjectivists and objectivists suffer from this, as I see it. I don't know how many times I've been abused for not "giving away my secrets" over the years, that there's a magic formula somehow involved - I say, the magic formula is that I consider everything to be important - and the usual response is, there you go again, Frank, talking BS!! ...people just want life to be a simple set of Yes/No decisions, and if they're all ticked - then you will Live Happily, Ever After ...

You can make it simple ... something I do, 😉 ... listen, does what you hearing Always Sound Right - if Yes, then Enjoy, 😁 ... if No, then there is Something Wrong With the Rig - note, it is never, ever the recording; using this Get Out Of Jail Free card guarantees poor progress. So, if your ego can accept that your system is not the bees knees at this moment, then you can go the next step and try and work out where, and the where can be literally anything, the setup is not as, ummm, well sorted as it should be.

3 hours ago, John Dyson said:

Defensive engineering/defensive design and/or actual design experience is so very important.

John's posts here are very good - the above nails the core of the thinking needed ... no matter how well you think you have engineered or implemented something, if the subjective SQ doesn't measure up then you've missed something. Think of it this way ... there is always more that can be extracted from any recording you have right now, in a positive sense - it's your choice whether you wish to pursue that goal or not ...

19 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

I strong disagree with the section in bold.

Using one of your beloved car analogies, some roads (recordings) are like this:

b7c4a04f-7f1a-44ac-b689-9516f1b7c7e5-52365689_2576383472378953_4680490136083890176_n.thumb.jpg.44e5205f75e2354b48f6af1678628848.jpg

No futzing around with the car (the rig) is going to provide a satisfactory driving experience here.

Nothing like going for an 'extreme' example to try and rebut a point, 😉 ... yes, I could make a recording completely unlistenable to too, by running it through a distortions effect unit, and then compressing and clipping it to an inch of its life ... but I'm starting with the premise that the recording was released in a form such that it was intended to please people in the listening - perhaps I was unreasonable making that assumption, 🙂 ?

The futzing with the system is intended to remove every shred of 'personality' that the playback chain has - the goal is for it to be 100% neutral; never achievable, but it can be "good enough", I've found. What happens then is that the listening brain only has to deal with the idiosyncrasies of the recording itself, which just happens to be acceptable to the ear/brain, provided every last shred of detail in the recording is faithfully conveyed ... IME.

I could make a huge list of recordings that were 'awful', or marginal to listen to, that I own - when I first acquired them, and had a listen. One by one they toppled off the plateau of unpleasantness, as I made progress in tweaking a setup, and understood what was actually on the recording. But I won't ... 😁

40 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

I strong disagree with the section in bold.

Using one of your beloved car analogies, some roads (recordings) are like this:

b7c4a04f-7f1a-44ac-b689-9516f1b7c7e5-52365689_2576383472378953_4680490136083890176_n.thumb.jpg.44e5205f75e2354b48f6af1678628848.jpg

No futzing around with the car (the rig) is going to provide a satisfactory driving experience here.

spacer.png

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This is an example of why changes are coming. People feel stifled if others disagree, leading people to stop posting altogether. Not everyone and not every disagreement, but too often the disagreement just can't be said in a way that's acceptable. Many people are just rude to others. The only answer is to give them their own space to be rude. 

Sounds kind of like Fox News. Or MSN.  I can't watch either of them.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

23 minutes ago, rickca said:

In reply to The Computer Audiophile

The only answer is to give them their own space to be rude. 

Another unaffiliated forum perhaps ? :D

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020