IGNORED

Paul's view on Cables, Audio Precision Analyzer, etc.

Blake

Some may have already listened to this interview and I already posted it in another thread, but I personally found this to be a very interesting interview, worthy of its own thread.  For those interested in the objective/subjective/measurement discussions here on AS, I think it is definitely worth a listen.  I tend to stay out of these sorts of discussions and have no agenda in posting this.  Anyone can feel free to comment as they want.

I recommend listening to the whole interview if you have the time, its not just about usb cables. Personally, I think it gets more interesting later on in the interview.

https://darko.audio/2020/02/expert-opinion-paul-mcgowan-ps-audio/

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Interesting that you include the Audio Precision analyzer in the title of this thread. 

While it is a very nice general purpose unit, it is not well suited to measuring jitter in DACs. What’s that? Heresy!

If you look at the specifications for the ADC in the top-of-the-line APx555, you will see that its own jitter is 600 picoseconds!

So that will swamp the jitter details of a device under test—which might be in the range of 10s of picoseconds. O.o

It is very hard to get 10ps jitter at a device pin and in the layouts I have seen RF techniques are not used and using an external clock and in device clock generation I would say is almost in achievable for commercial audio, and I thought phase related jitter was the new demon!🙂

Listened to quite a few of Paul's technical videos, he works and sells into the audiophile world so there is a bias....

For jitter, wouldn't better results be obtained by measuring at the clock input to the DAC chip using a (ridiculously expensive) phase noise analyser? These specs for a Rohde & Schwarz instrument should be good enough for most DACs:

image.png.309688c41da2344d46efc5768bd24b6f.png

Such a measurement obviously won't take into account any degradation within the DAC chip, which I don't know how bad it might be. Then again, if it is too bad, all those fancy clocks won't be doing any good.

14 hours ago, mansr said:

As a rule of thumb, if you're looking for the truth, you can take whatever Paul McGowan says and invert it.

is this an objective statement...?

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

3 hours ago, mansr said:

For jitter, wouldn't better results be obtained by measuring at the clock input to the DAC chip using a (ridiculously expensive) phase noise analyser? These specs for a Rohde & Schwarz instrument should be good enough for most DACs:

The Microsemi units—based on John Miles original Timepod—have better performance for much less money.

133318-5125a-datasheet

8 hours ago, Superdad said:

Interesting that you include the Audio Precision analyzer in the title of this thread. 

While it is a very nice general purpose unit, it is not well suited to measuring jitter in DACs. What’s that? Heresy!

If you look at the specifications for the ADC in the top-of-the-line APx555, you will see that its own jitter is 600 picoseconds!

So that will swamp the jitter details of a device under test—which might be in the range of 10s of picoseconds. O.o

Correct regarding specifications. BTW there are several methods for measuring lower jitter than own equipment, dual ADC + DSP is one of them. 😉

1 hour ago, mansr said:

And they seem impossible to buy.

John Miles--developer of the original Timepod (upon which the Symmetricon/Microsemi units are based) and author of the terrific and open-source s/w for it--has gone to work for Jackson Labs. His joining them has resulted in the recent introduction of the PhaseStation: http://www.jackson-labs.com/index.php/products/phasestation_signal_source_analyzer, at a much more reasonable $13,460. 

We have been dreaming about getting one for a while, though it may wait a bit longer as we are about to buy a high-speed differential logic analyzer (about $4K with probe kits) for another project.

11 minutes ago, Superdad said:

John Miles--developer of the original Timepod (upon which the Symmetricon/Microsemi units are based) and author of the terrific and open-source s/w for it--has gone to work for Jackson Labs. His joining them has resulted in the recent introduction of the PhaseStation: http://www.jackson-labs.com/index.php/products/phasestation_signal_source_analyzer, at a much more reasonable $13,460.

That amount of money for a device relying on proprietary software that may or may not work next year is not what I call reasonable.

5 minutes ago, mansr said:

Windows updates occasionally break old software, especially device drivers. If the vendor, for whatever reason, stops supporting the product, it is only a matter of time before it breaks. Happens all the time.

So you are suggesting it's a calculated risk that you would personally prefer not to take. Do you know this vendor's track record, or are you, perhaps, overgeneralizing because you just don't like the price?

20 hours ago, Blake said:

Some may have already listened to this interview and I already posted it in another thread, but I personally found this to be a very interesting interview, worthy of its own thread.  For those interested in the objective/subjective/measurement discussions here on AS, I think it is definitely worth a listen.  I tend to stay out of these sorts of discussions and have no agenda in posting this.  Anyone can feel free to comment as they want.

I recommend listening to the whole interview if you have the time, its not just about usb cables. Personally, I think it gets more interesting later on in the interview.

https://darko.audio/2020/02/expert-opinion-paul-mcgowan-ps-audio/

Blake good pointer. I really liked the interview, Thanks.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

1 hour ago, mansr said:

Windows updates occasionally break old software, especially device drivers. If the vendor, for whatever reason, stops supporting the product, it is only a matter of time before it breaks. Happens all the time.

Including Wi Fi dongles.

I recently had to replace a Wi Fi dongle due to a Windows update, even though the S/W was the most recent version .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

Including Wi Fi dongles.

I recently had to replace a Wi Fi dongle due to a Windows update, even though the S/W was the most recent version .

Oy... Don't get started on that. For the longest time I was getting customers to pay for the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. The reason is in local policy editor I was able to disable 'Windows Consumer Experience' (i.e. Candy Crush Saga and games like that from the market place from showing up).

That was great for years. Then I start getting calls from pissed off business owners because one day games started showing up in the start menu.

I drill down to the policy and there's a nice note from M$ saying that you now need either Enterprise or Ultimate edition.

@plissken you may want to try this.  The developer has done an incredible amount of work and it's free.

https://www.getblackbird.net/documentation/

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Just started listening, and got to the end of the first anecdote - as in, "What the F did you just do?!!" ... "Umm, changed the USB cable ..." ... couldn't get a better example of what real audio optimisation is all about, 😁.

Was the inserted cable, "fabulous" ... ? Nope - in fact it could be a pile of smelly poo, as far as its technical performance was concerned - what mattered is that its characteristics, in areas normally considered irrelevant, and therefore not "measured", were enough to counteract an area of weakness in the playback chain - it was a band aid to compensate for a lack of robustness in the underlying signal path.

Which seems almost impossible for most audiophiles to assimilate - so obsessed with Adding Goodness, that the time spent on thinking about Subtracting Badness is tiny in comparison - and hence the often huge struggles to "make the rig sound good!".