IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

2 hours ago, magnium said:

Welcome @JayM

For those who pre-order the Taiko DC DC-ATX and interested in the Taiko DIY case, is there a possibility of consolidating the orders to save shipping costs?

Hard to say if I will order the case without knowing the design and cost but just throwing it out there!

Unfortunately for now it is not possible to consolidate shipping of these two items due to our internal logistics. The DC DC-ATX's only require a few more components before we can fully assemble and ship them. The DIY chassis however requires a lot more production steps to be completed before they can be shipped, this might take a while.

I have high hopes that I will be able to share some drawings or 'renders' of the DIY chassis with everyone on this forum tomorrow when I'm back at the office. Exact costs are not yet clear, this will be communicated in due time.

Hopefully I've answered all your questions.

Jay

Works at Taiko Audio

1 hour ago, Dev said:

@Nenon I am under the impression that the transformer should be available for sale independent of the chassis. I should be able to buy the DC DC-ATX along with the transformer. Is that not the case ?

That is the case. There will be plenty of transformers, since the minimum order Emile had to place was quite big. It was the only way to get this transformer (which I liked the most in my tests). 

As for the shipping and ordering logistics, ETAs, etc. I will leave it to @JayM

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

7 hours ago, JayM said:

Hello everyone! 

My real name is Jelle, but all my American/English friends call me Jay. Somehow my Dutch name keeps – unintentionally - being pronounced as Jelly or Yellow.

So, hello everyone, I am Jay! ;)

For a - relatively short – while I’ve been working closely with Emile, Edward, Ton, Ted and Wout at Taiko audio. We’ve recently moved from our old, shared facility in Hengelo to our own new headquarters in Oldenzaal. Our new location and set-up will allow us to do a lot more development and testing.

To manage the ever-increasing complexity of our operation, Emile has asked me to work with him as General Manager for Taiko Audio. In the coming months we will try to streamline our production and logistics process to expedite the time between order placements and actual shipping. This will enable us to fulfil orders faster and faster in the coming months.

That brings me to the reason why I’ve decided to introduce myself in this thread.  Until now we’ve only shipped a very limited amount of DC DC-ATX’s for testing.  If our supplier delivers some of the last needed components for the DC DC-ATX as scheduled, we will be able to ship all existing (paid) pre-orders on the 30th of April. 

Everyone who pre-ordered a DC DC-ATX can expect an email in the upcoming days:)

Bienvenido !!

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

On 2/8/2021 at 2:28 PM, bit01 said:

Thumbs up to the Furutech FP-S55N mentioned above. I have tried it in JSSG and the FP-S032N on the PHD SR7T dual rail. They both offered similar performance but were better than a bunch of others I tried.

I believe the connectors (Wattgate EVOs) I have on the FP-S55N can be improved. I noticed a slightly better SQ when I removed the plastic backshells (please do not try this for safety reasons -your own and others in your home!! )

On 2/8/2021 at 2:34 PM, ASRMichael said:

That’s my findings also. I used to use wattgate but then moved to Furutech NCF type connectors. Also my final connectors. There’s no need to change again. 

Add Furutech nano liquid once or twice a year. Job done. 

I switched out the Wattgate EVOs for the Furutechs FI-46 NCF (G) and I am quite happy with  these on their FP-S55N bulk wire. I perceive a more relaxed 'free flow' to the  music and a robust detailed extended low end! Lovely.

17 hours ago, JayM said:

I have high hopes that I will be able to share some drawings or 'renders' of the DIY chassis with everyone on this forum tomorrow when I'm back at the office.

Thx Jay

dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - Siltech Double Crown PC, Tara Labs Zero Evo AES; dCS Vivaldi DAC - Siltech Double Crown PC - Tara Labs Zero Evo XLR; dCS Vivaldi Clock - Siltech Double Crown PC - Viard Platinum BNC; Mutec Ref10 SE-120 - Shunyata Sigma Digital PC - AR Cox Triple C BNC; Music Server - La Sound Olympia PC; Spectral DMC-30SS MKii - Crystal Ultimate Dream PC; Spectral DMC-400RS - Tiglon 2000A PC - AR RTP6 Abs. - Transparent Reference G5 spk cable; Rockport Atria MKi, Shunyata Triton V2 + Typhon - Sigma HC PC, Thixar SMD Ultimate Rack + CMS Platinum MKiii / Tripoint Troy Signature BLK

https://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=124319&extra=page=1

2 hours ago, JayM said:

As I promised yesterday, here are some pictures to give an indication how the DIY chassis will look.

The external size of the chassis is 483mm wide, 496 mm long and 177 mm high (including the feet).

The internal size of the chassis is 416mm wide, 483 mm long and 150 mm high.

The whole chassis will be CNC-machined out of high grade aluminium.

We still have to add the recess for IEC on the back plate, the rest of the chassis is pretty veracious to the final product.

The chassis will come in black, this will be the exact same colour as the black version of SGM Extreme servers, unfortunately other colours are not an option so far. 

We hope to send the definite plans into production somewhere near the end of next week.

DIY chassis 1.JPG

DIY chassis 2.JPG

DIY chassis 3.JPG

Thanks for the information. Do you have information;

- passive CPU cooling capabilities? What is TDP rating?
- Will CPU heatsink & heat pipes be included? 
- will it be compatible with other motherboards & CPU? 

- would also be good to see a render of full size motherboard & atx inside the case. 

Thanks

39 minutes ago, Nenon said:

The real reason I am posting this is not to advertise his classified but to add perspective to some of the things we have discussed and give a real world example of how some of the DIY servers we are building compare to the top commercial products. I thought it would be interesting for people to read.

One of the many interesting takeaways from this is it was TAS and the USB card that the difference became so pronounced, justifying the sale of the DIY build. The importance of software and hardware integration is well stated here.

I wonder what the Taiko DC-ATX would have done for the DIY build, as it is absolutely a stunning game changer for me in my humble rig. (The change for me may be so drastic because I do not externally power my USB/NIC cards.)

@dminches- good luck on your sale and congratulations to the lucky buyer!

@Nenon - Thank you for the write up. Have you had a chance yet to listen to any of the larger more recent Paul Hynes builds in your system? (PHSR7T) I am inclined to believe it performs well but have no other LPSUs available for comparison.

Cheers

2 hours ago, JayM said:

Yes, the chassis will be set-up for passive CPU cooling, the TDP rating will be 2 x 85W at normal usage

Yes, CPU heatsinks and heat pipes will be included but only for the LGA3647 square.

Yes, it is compatible with motherboards mini ITX up to SSI EEB and all compatible CPU's under 2 x 85W at normal usage.

Unfortunately we are not be able to provide a render of the chassis with a full size motherboard & ATX as of now. When we receive our prototype chassis we might be able to provide some pictures with a full size motherboard & ATX in the case during test fitting.

Hopefully that answers everything!

Thanks can you just clarify; So the case is compatible with other motherboards & CPU’s but the Taiko cpu heatsink & heat pipes are not? 

Yes, CPU heatsinks and heat pipes will be included but only for the LGA3647 square.

1 hour ago, Nenon said:

But when you get to high current draws like the dual Xeon CPUs in the Extreme, regulated LPS is not the best technology to use. I would use and recommend the Taiko ATX with the unregulated LPS for the dual CPU project. In fact I would put this against any regulated LPS, no matter the price, including the high current DC4 I built for @dminches. I compared the two in my system and had a hard time deciding. But the Taiko ATX + unregulated LPS for the dual Xeon project sounded more transparent.  And that is an important part of voicing the server. 

Nenon,

I do not disagree, but AFAIK the PS in the Extreme is a regulated LPS as well.

So will Emile change to an UHQ version of the Taiko ATX for the Extreme?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

23 minutes ago, Marcin_gps said:

TAIKO DC-ATX + ... ? vs OPTIMO ATX?

Ideally:

Taiko DC-ATX + DC4 vs Optimo ATX

Taiko DC-ATX + PHSR7T vs Optimo ATX

Taiko DC-ATX + Nenon's Unregulated Linear Power Supply vs Optimo ATX

I have the Taiko DC-ATX in hand and will try the with19v 10A rated rail of my SR7T soon to power my i9 server (not sure if it can handle the load but still worth a shot, as I do not overclock).

Edit: @Nenon that PSU is a work of art. Well done.

18 minutes ago, Marcin_gps said:

TAIKO DC-ATX + ... ? vs OPTIMO ATX?

whats the price of the optimo atx?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

6 hours ago, JayM said:

The external size of the chassis is 483mm wide, 496 mm long and 177 mm high (including the feet).

Takes out measuring tape.  Hmm, exactly the same width as my AV rackmount which means I can’t easily fit it in.

Maybe if I can add notches on to top and bottom plate if there is enough spacing between the heatsink fins ...

Any advice on cutting tools for thick aluminum? 😇

15 minutes ago, Marcin_gps said:

Will be announced during the launch with all the details and pictures in the final enclosure. 

Regards, 

Marcin

@Marcin_gpswhat are the specs ? what kind of servers are you using to test this currently ? I am curious if you have plans to test with high power cpu with turbo boost, like an i9 K version ? 

1 minute ago, Dev said:

@Marcin_gpswhat are the specs ? what kind of servers are you using to test this currently ? I am curious if you have plans to test with high power cpu with turbo boost, like an i9 K version ? 

Please check 4 last posts on JCAT blog for more details: https://jcat.eu/editorial/

According to intel specification, max supported CPU TDP is 95W. Please see the table below:

130572436_822199581902493_1051247600043748590_n.thumb.png.22d51f550c7316b7f563ddfc39a0a624.png

JPLAY & JCAT Founder