IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

41 minutes ago, Dev said:

for a regular straight cable, yes but Shunyata has some noise cancellation trick (in that cylindrical thing) up their sleeves which can't be DIY'ed. Now weather that makes a difference in your system or not is another story and unless you try you won't know.

DI-OM-USB-Body.thumb.jpg.fbea4638398213af42ce818e7cf89577.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised to find magnets inside those cylinders.

I stopped tinkering with USB as I left it preferring I2S, all I can say is that a simple twisted pair made of solid UP OCC insulated with a mix of paper and silk does a great job already especially when shielded for EMI (yet not with metal mesh).

I did not get to go wild with other geometries, but the playground is open!

O eeh,  and leaving out the power wires, or at least shielding those separately

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

I have a Synergistic Research Galileo USB cable, which I will probably not be changing out any time soon.  It is also grounded to their Grounding Block SE.

Anyone have experience with the Shunyata Omega Ethernet cable?  I currently use a JCAT Signature Gold from Nenon’s Pink Faun Buffalo to my server and a Cardas Ethernet cable from a modded Buffalo to the Pink Faun Buffalo.

4 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Been busy today!!! 

Added a few copper pipes! 

Heatpipes is a rough job! Just bent them with my hands! Could of added a 4th but ran out of paste! 

Temps are around 29c @ 3.7gHz i9 10900k. Previously 31c

You’ll also see I had to extend my H5 case. It’s sitting in Panzerholz wood. My mobo is ATXE board. So had to make space for Taiko ATX (it’s now screwed straight into the Panzerholz wood. 

E02AF68D-4319-4E0A-B60E-1961FB13E6A0.jpeg

Excellent job! The extension of the chassis worked out very well. The Panzerholz must help a lot with keeping vibrations to a minimum. Solid build!

Quick question (looks great BTW!) does that Taiko ATX need cooling surface too or is it good to go as is?

I'm still on the fence buying it, but am going to build a prototype wooden case next week or so.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

4 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

Quick question (looks great BTW!) does that Taiko ATX need cooling surface too or is it good to go as is?

I'm still on the fence buying it, but am going to build a prototype wooden case next week or so.

It’s got thick copper plate at bottom. So good to go. I’ve used really small stand-offs also to raise a couple off the wood & H5 case. 

Get off the fence worth every penny! 

OK , OK , I'll put the order in tomorrow, have been tossing around many ideas for a full linear PSU but I figure I better start with this and then I can compare against something better than the Corsair AX1200i I'm now using....I can say that the sound at this moment is stupid good, a couple of weeks ago I had a small audio gathering and some attendees that are heavy into seriously good Vinyl systems were baffled at how much mid range and top end detail there is... the bass definition, control and range simply blew them away.

At the same note; I;ve been listening to some really good Vinyl recently and am finally caving in....I want to be able to play first pressing mono stuff and some first pressing stereo stuff...it has something to it that is uncanny.

18 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Been busy today!!! 

Added a few copper pipes! 

Heatpipes is a rough job! Just bent them with my hands! Could of added a 4th but ran out of paste! 

Temps are around 29c @ 3.7gHz i9 10900k. Previously 31c

You’ll also see I had to extend my H5 case. It’s sitting in Panzerholz wood. My mobo is ATXE board. So had to make space for Taiko ATX (it’s now screwed straight into the Panzerholz wood. 

E02AF68D-4319-4E0A-B60E-1961FB13E6A0.jpeg

Excellent job. I received my extra heat pipes from Aliexpress couple of weeks back but did not have time to install it yet.

where does one buy Panzerholz in the US ?

@ASRMichael Did you bend them (heatpipes) around something round or simply free hand? I am planning to push them over something round with my fingers, hoping to keep the inside diameter intact.

47 minutes ago, Dev said:

Excellent job. I received my extra heat pipes from Aliexpress couple of weeks back but did not have time to install it yet.

where does one buy Panzerholz in the US ?

I’m not sure. Guy in UK buys it from Germany & sells to Audio community. 

Have look here, few discussions on this US forum.,

https://advrider.com/f/threads/north-american-sources-for-densified-laminated-wood-or-transformer-wood.1090390/

Ref Taiko EPS. 

Thanks to @Exocer he spotted in my photo I’m only using 1 EPS connector from the Taiko ATX. To be honest I never noticed there was two, only ever seen the other labelled as PCIE. Doh!!! 

Is everyone else with Taiko ATX using both EPS connectors? 

Has anyone done any comparisons? 

@Exocerat least I can tell my wife it was you that spotted that! So you’ll be to blame for spending more cash on another cable! 😂

BC5038A9-A213-4E07-A3F5-2F88812F37A1.png

higher speed? Believe mine are 2666 those are 3200 

I'm not clear if higher mem speed does anything for SQ, 

I suspect that the CPU temperature is more important to know, if the case only gets a tiny percentage of the heat produced by the CPU the CPU may run blistering hot while the case stays cool. (not saying that is the fact as I have plenty of faith in Taiko).

Or am I missing something in that theory?

yeah I get that! I was just curious, perhaps the CPU temp can be read through the software, Daphile shows me the Xilinx card temperature, the CPU temp and some other temp readouts I always forget what they are.