IGNORED

LPSU choices, new contender.....

1 hour ago, mansr said:

If he were truly professional, he wouldn't be saying such nonsensical things.

Have to agree here.  There are a lot of really good surface mount parts out there for use in high end power supplies, to avoid using them has the potential to leave performance on the table.  Like: diodes, small value film capacitors for decoupling, relatively small value polymer capacitors for decoupling, etc.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

10 minutes ago, barrows said:

Have to agree here.  There are a lot of really good surface mount parts out there for use in high end power supplies, to avoid using them has the potential to leave performance on the table.  Like: diodes, small value film capacitors for decoupling, relatively small value polymer capacitors for decoupling, etc.

Yeah, surface mount is the preferred option these days, through-hole typically available for new parts only if mechanical strength necessitates it. As there is no electrical downside to surface mount (on the contrary, actually), refusing to use it is nothing short of stupid. Hand assembly is not difficult either if you stick to 0402 or larger parts.

14 minutes ago, mansr said:

Hand assembly is not difficult either if you stick to 0402 or larger parts.

0402 size parts are really a pain to hand place and solder.  Unless you like to spend all day with you face on a microscope.  For prototyping (not large production), clever folks built their own pick-and-place machine.  Couple with a small vapor-phase reflow oven it makes for beautiful boards.  :D

IMG_1710.thumb.jpeg.beff75518ecd38a79685a906e0ecbb76.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Superdad said:

0402 size parts are really a pain to hand place and solder.  Unless you like to spend all day with you face on a microscope.  For prototyping (not large production), clever folks built their own pick-and-place machine.  Couple with a small vapor-phase reflow oven it makes for beautiful boards.  :D

Thats an awful lot of work for occasional prototypes — perhaps for a full time designer ;)

For my purposes I use a “reflowster” temp controller with a toaster oven ... but it’s not available anymore ...

I also have a microscope which is almost essential https://www.amscope.com/applications/veterinary-zoology.html and not really that expensive. 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

40 minutes ago, Superdad said:

I've got a small hereditary tremor in my right (dominant) hand, so if something like these ever became inexpensive, it would be the saving of any ambitions I have to DIY in retirement.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 hours ago, barrows said:

so you discrediting his products?

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

2 hours ago, jabbr said:

Thats an awful lot of work for occasional prototypes — perhaps for a full time designer ;)

For my purposes I use a “reflowster” temp controller with a toaster oven ... but it’s not available anymore ...

I also have a microscope which is almost essential https://www.amscope.com/applications/veterinary-zoology.html and not really that expensive. 

...to all comment makers here: don't discredit products without trying them. Please hold back on your criticism if you have no proof to back up your accusations. Unsubstantiated allegations against a company or individual could potentially have very serious consequences for the allegation makers and I am surprised that the admin/mods on here don't take action against this unproven backlash. 

2 minutes ago, barrows said:

Did I?  Of course not, I have no experience with them and without testing, or at least seeing a schematic I have no idea what kind of performance his products might have (I have some experience designing linear power supplies).

But when he states that he does not use any  SMD parts, as if that were a good thing, it does give me pause, at least in terms of his marketing approach.

So, just insinuating that there is something dubious going on with the PB products? 

56 minutes ago, activist38 said:

...to all comment makers here: don't discredit products without trying them. Please hold back on your criticism if you have no proof to back up your accusations. Unsubstantiated allegations against a company or individual could potentially have very serious consequences for the allegation makers and I am surprised that the admin/mods on here don't take action against this unproven backlash. 

More likely just a batch more of the utterly irrelevant BS that clutters up so many of the threads on this forum.

22 minutes ago, barrows said:

I am not insinuating anything.  Perhaps English is your second language?

I clearly stated that there are indeed very good SMD parts which can be used to good effect in power supply designs such as these, and suggested that the statement made regarding no surface mount parts does not give me any confidence that the designer actually knows what he is talking about.  That is my take away (opinion) from such statements; indeed there may be audiophiles who read "no surface mount parts" and get all weak in the knees, but I choose parts for their performance, not how they mount to a PCB.

OK - cheers!

I also like sonore & uptone products for the record.

Please use/dissect  PB product before making any further comment thank you!