IGNORED

LPSU choices, new contender.....

Don't see anything in the nearest large city that has "other than mundane parts," as Alex puts it, but then I don't do enough DIY to be that sophisticated in my search.  Anyway, please forgive the OT.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 minute ago, Superdad said:

Don't be dissin' the Shack man!  x-D

In my youth I bought parts for my color organs and then later TRS computers.  Plus spare parts in a pinch.  They were no Allied Radio, but hey, they were open on Friday evening and the weekends.

So many memories.  Building crystal radios, Radio Direction finding stuff for Ham Radio, stuff for the model railroad.  Magic!

7 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Don't be dissin' the Shack man!  x-D

Perhaps they were a little better than the Radio Shack stores we had in Sydney a while back ?

They did originally have a quality low capacitance shielded cable for amplifier internal wiring here though.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

17 hours ago, Jud said:

Not sure how saying I'd like to have a pick and place machine to allow me to enjoy DIY in retirement can be interpreted as any sort of hostility to PB's products.

Does he seem to make a bit of a fetish about not using surface mount components? Yes. Have at least two people I know are skilled at product design, barrows and Superdad, said there are surface mount products that work as well as or better than through-hole products? Yes. Does this mean PB's products can't work well for the price? No. Does it mean that "No surface mount products anywhere" is marketing rather than necessarily an indication of better quality? Yep.

I apologise. I have clearly misunderstood your communication. Not heard of "pick and place machine"?

17 hours ago, sandyk said:

Going by the lack of detailed specifications anywhere, I doubt that he even has equipment capable of making anything other than basic measurements such as measuring DC voltages to a reasonable precision, which any high quality DMM can do. With the DC power supplies he doesn't even supply output noise specifications.

It's all short on detail and long on hype.

I don't doubt that the products work, but see no reason to believe they are more than just basic implementations which will do the job with non critical applications

With the TT voltage regulator, it would be interesting to see how well it retains the set voltage under varying load conditions and temperature variations.

thanks for your views.

6 minutes ago, activist38 said:

e are all quaking in our boots Doc (?)  !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

6 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Yes there is. For starts you could try!

@The Computer Audiophile is this really the level of courtesy we want to extend to new members?

Healthy scepticism and some challenging questions are fine. But open derision and hostility. Frankly I'm a bit embarrassed by this whole thread and the reaction to it.

Cheers,

Alan

....don't forget Alan, MANSR is a troll by his own admission. Have Fun! Maybe he will go away if we just IGNORE him (and not react)?

Just now, sandyk said:

We are all quaking in our boots Doc (?)  !

6 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

My two cents and then I'll drop it. Between the replies the Op received and the replies the manufacturer got so shortly after joining I'd fully understand if both unsubscribed and left this forum. 

.......Alam

Unfortunately the CA/AS forum does appear to have a growing reputation around the internet for "droll/troll putdowns", members being banned while "the usual high-post count individuals" are always aloud to get away with their aggression to newbies, who are also met with suspicion and hostility! Many people have indeed left this place for these exact reasons, and that is sad because with open minded members like me and you, this could be a really really positive and constructive source of help and information, but not while the element are left unchecked! What happened to: innocent until proven guilty? comments I've read whilst surfing the web include: "that place is only any good if you want a good laugh", their claims are totally unrealistic, you simply can't believe anything you read on there (from the trollers), too many subjective claims without substance, I'll never use that 'resource' ever again, they drove me into depression" etc. etc.   ......and the list goes on and on! "BUT!" I thought why not give it a try as an open minded person and see what happens? Unfortunately the ex-members have proved to be pretty spot on with their observations so far! NO OFFENCE INTENDED TO THE GOOD SOULS LIKE YOURSELF! Perhaps the good members could simply ignore the trolls and eventually they will see that they are wasting their own time and energy, and will go away to some other forum to spread their vile accusations elsewhere? The key is that everyone MUST IGNORE THEM, don't add fuel to the fire, if we keep responding to them they will only keep on firing at us. And yes I do practice what I preach, and simply ignore or don't choose to respond to them, but it's no good just me doing that alone! It has to involve all the good people here and point it out and expose it like bullying in a school. We must all be willing to highlight and route out this negativity and that way, CA/AS can be once again clean and helpful, just like when it first started up. In other words: "ban the bullies, not the bully fighters! Thank you!

As an admin/mod. I would get this place sorted out in no time, and maybe that's why I could never be? Maybe the current mods. like it the way it is? But only the owner of the forum could replace the mods. were necessary. Yep, it's a sad story!

5 hours ago, 4est said:

Oh come on. If you aren't experienced enough to know how to remove a through hole part, you probably haven't had to fix much gear. SMD work requires much more precision and prep. As to the parts, here we are talking about resistors, filter caps and some ICs. I likely could get any through hole part here in town today at the local counter.

I've never found much difference in assembling through hole and surface mount. With surface you just put the components on the board with say tweezers and bake the whole lot en-mass, in that respect through hole is more time consuming and fiddling with a soldering iron and that's why I think through hole is more professional, fitting one component at a time.

7 hours ago, sandyk said:

Unfortunately,  you are highly unlikely to gain a marked increase in sales without additional performance information made available on your website .Even many ebay vendors give basic specifications of their products which makes it easier for prospective buyers to make some kind of informed choice, although a product hand  made by a professional such as yourself, and fully tested would be preferred by many people, even if it cost more.

Very few would expect you to make detailed photographs available, but a brief description of the topology used,  and where they differ from cheap Asian generic products , especially with power supplies would help.

...this statement has some merit.

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

e are all quaking in our boots Doc (?)  !

NO! I'm serious. If I had a product that you had never seen, used, or tested and you made those kind of damaging remarks, I would be seeking legal redress, but most professional builders like PB are too busy to be embroiled with this kind of smear campaign. And if I was admin, I would delete it. "Shaking in your boots" is just another snide and derogatory remark I will ignore.

21 minutes ago, activist38 said:

Unfortunately the CA/AS forum does appear to have a growing reputation around the internet for "droll/troll putdowns", members being banned while "the usual high-post count individuals" are always aloud to get away with their aggression to newbies, who are also met with suspicion and hostility! Many people have indeed left this place for these exact reasons, and that is sad because with open minded members like me and you, this could be a really really positive and constructive source of help and information, but not while the element are left unchecked! What happened to: innocent until proven guilty? comments I've read whilst surfing the web include: "that place is only any good if you want a good laugh", their claims are totally unrealistic, you simply can't believe anything you read on there (from the trollers), too many subjective claims without substance, I'll never use that 'resource' ever again, they drove me into depression" etc. etc.   ......and the list goes on and on! "BUT!" I thought why not give it a try as an open minded person and see what happens? Unfortunately the ex-members have proved to be pretty spot on with their observations so far! NO OFFENCE INTENDED TO THE GOOD SOULS LIKE YOURSELF! Perhaps the good members could simply ignore the trolls and eventually they will see that they are wasting their own time and energy, and will go away to some other forum to spread their vile accusations elsewhere? The key is that everyone MUST IGNORE THEM, don't add fuel to the fire, if we keep responding to them they will only keep on firing at us. And yes I do practice what I preach, and simply ignore or don't choose to respond to them, but it's no good just me doing that alone! It has to involve all the good people here and point it out and expose it like bullying in a school. We must all be willing to highlight and route out this negativity and that way, CA/AS can be once again clean and helpful, just like when it first started up. In other words: "ban the bullies, not the bully fighters! Thank you!

As an admin/mod. I would get this place sorted out in no time, and maybe that's why I could never be? Maybe the current mods. like it the way it is? But only the owner of the forum could replace the mods. were necessary. Yep, it's a sad story!

Sorry but much as I criticised the lack of courtesy towards yourself and Paul its also true that you are not blameless here. Your reactions were unnecessarily confrontational at times.

Also in all honesty the above rant and the Mansr is by his own admission a troll comment have me feeling that the poster who accused you of being the third incarnation of quite rightly banned persistent trouble maker doc365/valveboy.

This user was rightly banned for continued confrontational posts, picking fights and derailing threads.

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

And although you have made many good and worthwhile points that I like and applaud, you too can be ignored if you continue with your stupid remarks, your choice? You are showing your true nature, but keep going this way and I'll ignore you even if you have made good points in the past, it's no skin off my nose, see if I care.

21 minutes ago, Blackmorec said:

Come on folks, this is the internet....a forum where mainly anonymous people exchange views. A place where some posters are well known experienced industry gurus, who’s points of view are qualified and valuable and where others are completely unknown, without any qualified experience or any attributes that readers can use to judge the veracity of their posts. 

Let me translate this original post into how I read it. 

Hi I’m a new guy who nobody has met. I may or may not have a hi-fi system....no one knows.  I’m here to promote a new product that no-one has heard of. I’ve compared it to what you guys consider the industry standard, which I borrowed from an unnamed source.  I used double blind testing, where neither I nor whoever was organising the test knew which power supply was connected, to ascertain that this new product is just as good as your industry standard.  Here’s a website you can go to to read about and buy said product. 

When a response comes in about what the new supply was connected to, it’s answered vaguely with something like ‘various DACs and Servers’, so no mention of the context in which the new products were tested, just a vague....’several different components’. 

When some doubts are raised, which frankly were IMO deserved,  they are meet with effrontery. 

So, in summary, given that this is the internet, where trust should be reserved for qualified posters i.e people who’s bona fides can be verified by either industry connections or a posting track record,  recommendations from completely unverified posters should be treated with caution.  This is just the reality of the internet. 

thank you. yes, in the main I agree! But to set the record straight:

I am unknown and new! however, I reserve the right and privacy to not tell 'all and sundry' about my private life - who has done so on here?

I can verify that I do have a hi-fi system, but I'm not producing receipts on here to prove it- tell me who has? Anyone on here could be lying for that matter!

I'm not here purely to promote a product, that is untrue! - this just happened to be my first post. 

I don't know how long PB has been in business and therefore don't know if it is entirely new, but quite a few have bought directly and through ebay with recommendations that are available for people to see and read. I suspect he has been in the electronics industry for several years if not all his life.

I do not have permission to reveal the owner of the Paul Hynes supply ID, as he has never got involved in "these things" (forums), and I respect his decision.

In my blind test I couldn't observe which supply was being used in three different systems. The Hynes and Baldwin were both used in each system and I couldn't tell which was being used (Baldwin A/Hynes A), (Baldwin B/, Hynes B), (Baldwin C/Hynes C). The usual speakers and amps etc. were used: McIntosh, Tannoy, PSAudio etc. The important part being that the identical systems were used without swapping anything other than the PSU's; which other brands were used is therefore irrelevant to the test conditions.

I did supply the vendor’s website address, that is true.

Components don't matter as long as THE SAME SYSTEM is used in all/both tests, the only variable is the PSU. Nothing else changed and I can't see why the make and model of everything else should make some difference to this test?

I apologise if there is any effrontery, that was not my intention. Perhaps you can show me where I did this?

"trust should be reserved for qualified posters", ….so new posters never have any opportunity to gain that trust?

Yes, there should be an element of caution, but like several have said in just this thread alone, that caution seems to translate into acceptable:   ...derision, contempt, mockery, ridicule, taunts, disparagement & obloquy. It's not just me but others too who have pointed to this. 

Purchasers on the internet (ebay/check feedback) have given recommendations of these PB products.

I have no affiliation with the defendant, sorry manufacturer. 

Is the court adjourned to consider its verdict now? Can I be excused? 

1 hour ago, BigAlMc said:

Sorry but much as I criticised the lack of courtesy towards yourself and Paul its also true that you are not blameless here. Your reactions were unnecessarily confrontational at times.

Also in all honesty the above rant and the Mansr is by his own admission a troll comment have me feeling that the poster who accused you of being the third incarnation of quite rightly banned persistent trouble maker doc365/valveboy.

This user was rightly banned for continued confrontational posts, picking fights and derailing threads.

show me where?

1 hour ago, BigAlMc said:

that is not me, I just wanted to recommend a product that is all. I don't wish to fight or be confrontational in anyway. Why would I derail my own thread of recommendation? Doesn't make any sense?

OK, if you think that is me, I will now definitely NOT respond any more to this, my own thread. No matter how much derision or sarcasm is put to me, I will now ignore it. Your accusation is not welcome either.

I have made the recommendation for the product and that is it, I will not get embroiled any further in this discussion - OK?

I am sorry if you feel that I have done something wrong. But it's others who are attacking me, not me attacking them initially. If someone attacks me then naturally I feel I have the right to respond. But now I'll just ignore it, it's pointless and the thread should be locked. But I haven't done anything wrong to be banned for, all I've done is recommended a product and people have come in with all sorts of suspicion and accusations.

6 hours ago, activist38 said:

I apologise. I have clearly misunderstood your communication. Not heard of "pick and place machine"?

Superdad had a photo of it in a post in this thread. It’s a machine that you can program to pick up small surface mount parts from a tape and place them in the appropriate spots on a circuit board. These (at some expense) are available to the home hobbyist/prototyper/small manufacturer. Because I have just enough of a hereditary tremor in my dominant hand not to be able to do fine soldering work (as mansr put it, my hands are “insufficiently resolving”), something like that (hopefully less expensive by then) would allow me to pursue an interest in DIY when I retire in a couple of years.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

7 hours ago, Jud said:

Don't see anything in the nearest large city that has "other than mundane parts," as Alex puts it, but then I don't do enough DIY to be that sophisticated in my search.  Anyway, please forgive the OT.

Do you think there is anything other than mundane parts in those? They are after all simple 60Hz> DC power supplies. Any high frequency regulation capability would largely be negated by the external leads and connections. High frequency (reduced spacing) being one of the advantages of using SMD.

Just because you are not aware of them, doesn't mean they do not exist. People fix electronic items everyday. Oh sure, if you are looking for teflon film and foil caps, you will need to order them online. Simple parts with leads such as metal film resistors, film caps and many ICs are stocked items. Seriously, how many of you have had to actually work on this stuff? I live in a metro area of about 400,000 and we have at least one, but there used to be more. We have a lot of industry here in West Michigan, but I doubt that we are an exception. Businesses rely on crap working. Industry does not like to wait.

IMO, the whole spiel about SMD vs through hole is a red herring chosen by Mans as an argument tool. I can think of no reason why they would be better in this instance. I am NOT suggesting that either type of part is superior. They both have advantages and disadvantages depending upon the use. I am not looking to argue here, but IMO Mans' declaring BS was BS and just an opportunity to pounce on yet another person he disagrees with. It is sorta sad to see things come to this. This site was at one time a helpful sorta place. These days it is fetid with egos and arrogance. I am not at all pinning that on you Jud.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Points for use of "fetid" in a sentence? 🙂

Would be nice if the manufacturer could come back to the thread (if he's not tired of the whole thing already) and have a chat along the lines @sandyk was asking about, rather than any more back and forth about extraneous stuff.