IGNORED

LPSU choices, new contender.....

2 hours ago, jabbr said:

Oh that’s nice. 

The cheap toaster ovens have IR bulbs on top and bottom which allows uniform heating. You place a temperature sensor so that you could control the temp by cycling the toaster on and off. The automatic device cycles the toaster on and off to set the temperature as desired, and thus can vary with time. 

You can also also use one of the laser thermometers to measure the actual temp on the board. 

Not to throw a wrench in the works, but Paul was discussing repairs. I would never risk the whole board to replace one damaged part. In a pinch, two irons removes a resistor or cap. For ICs, saw off the legs with a knife and use some solder wick. For that matter, with boards like Shadder's example, I've just soldered it all by hand with a pair of optivisors.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

1 hour ago, 4est said:

Not to throw a wrench in the works, but Paul was discussing repairs. I would never risk the whole board to replace one damaged part. In a pinch, two irons removes a resistor or cap. For ICs, saw off the legs with a knife and use some solder wick. For that matter, with boards like Shadder's example, I've just soldered it all by hand with a pair of optivisors.

Absolutely and I have a small hot air gun for this purpose. I was commenting generally on techniques that hobbyists might use. 

I see that there are $200 range reflow ovens now but haven’t used one. There are a number of great SMD packages which are super low inductance but the contacts are all under the package and the temp controlled  oven is so much better for that!

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

And he is off.

46 minutes ago, mansr said:

Ain't no such thing.

He didn’t say that did he, as noiseless as possible,  not very strong response from him but think you have to read it as, as noiseless as I can make them. 

I do not think you or @Ralf11 are going to get a satisfactory response out of him. 

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

7 minutes ago, RickyV said:

He didn’t say that did he, as noiseless as possible, not very strong response but think you have to read it as, as noiseless as I can make them. 

That tells me precisely nothing.

Oh, I see the post has been edited. The "as possible" part wasn't there when I replied.

And that is what he what’s to tell you “ noting”, or he doesn’t know.

But still they can be good power supplies for non audiophile prices, that should interest you.

Under development:

5 minutes ago, RickyV said:

And that is what he what’s to tell you “ noting”, or he doesn’t know.

But still they can be good power supplies for non audiophile prices, that should interest you.

Sure, they might be good. There's just no way of knowing. Any number of reputable vendors will sell properly specced power supplies for perfectly reasonable prices, so I'll rather use those.

6 minutes ago, mansr said:

Sure, they might be good. There's just no way of knowing. Any number of reputable vendors will sell properly specced power supplies for perfectly reasonable prices, so I'll rather use those.

Okey, how do you know a Paul Hayes lpsu is any good. 

Under development:

Maybe we have to wait for someone who can measure the noise, slew rate and the output impedance of these lpsu.

Under development:

Yes, @Neverfinished0 don’t mind us we are crazy, sorry for all of this.

Under development:

6 hours ago, Jud said:

Very nice work.

With this type of tremor, as @jabbr knows but others might not, it's a little more complex than just bracing.  This tremor is what's called "postural," which means that having the hand in certain positions triggers it.  Bracing would be helpful (and thanks for the idea), but I'd also need to try to ensure that my hand, wrist and forearm aren't in a bad position (one that triggers tremors) during soldering.

Yes absolutely! Actually everyone has some degree of tremor and what you say is true for everyone. The key is to arrange your hands and arms in a relaxing position. One reason I love the microscope is that you can arrange so that the head is at a comfortable level for your neck and you can look straight ahead. You then place your arms and hands in a relaxed position. What you have to learn is to look straight ahead even though the view is down (rotate 90 degrees around x axis)

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

I don't get the argument over parts packages.  Just use what works for you.  If I want electronics that I can rework (stuff I do is not audio related), I use SO and 1206 size which I can just replace with an iron and I find this easier than thru hole.  Personally anything smaller I just send to a shop; I would never consider DIY for size and parts count of something like what @Shadders showed us, but hats off to him or anyone else who would.

5 minutes ago, psjug said:

I don't get the argument over parts packages.  Just use what works for you.  If I want electronics that I can rework (stuff I do is not audio related), I use SO and 1206 size which I can just replace with an iron and I find this easier than thru hole.  Personally anything smaller I just send to a shop; I would never consider DIY for size and parts count of something like what @Shadders showed us, but hats off to him or anyone else who would.

I like 0402 for decoupling capacitors since they can be placed close to the IC pins without obstructing adjacent traces too much. Elsewhere, I find 0603 more comfortable to work with.

6 minutes ago, mansr said:

I like 0402 for decoupling capacitors since they can be placed close to the IC pins without obstructing adjacent traces too much. Elsewhere, I find 0603 more comfortable to work with.

I don't go smaller than 0603 just to keep the possibility of reworking.  Smaller than that I would have to give up.  I think you are a couple notches ahead of me.

1 minute ago, psjug said:

I don't go smaller than 0603 just to keep the possibility of reworking.  Smaller than that I would have to give up.  I think you are a couple notches ahead of me.

Pointy tweezers and a decent hot air station are your friends.