IGNORED

LPSU choices, new contender.....

....there are of course many quality LPSU's out there, I don't need to name them all.

But, I am looking at Sean Jacobs & in particular Paul Hynes.

I recently had the opportunity to blag a PH from an associate for an extensive test.

I have several amps, speakers, DAC's etc.

I made a subjective test (non scientific) with probably(?) a little known LPSU supplier:.....

https://www.reelaudio.co.uk/PSUDiscussion.shtml

The results were pretty mind blowing! These units, the 50W flavour are pretty hot in my opinion. They are much cheaper than pAUL hYNES units but deliver a similar experience with no loss of sound quality and the build quality is excellent too.

For anyone on a budget; don't knock it until you tried it! Well worth a punt at these prices. I now have several.

I think you would be pleasantly surprised by the results when you try them with everything from classical to rock n roll.

I have no affiliation with Paul Baldwin, this is just a customer recommendation.

No more el cheapo/no name Chinese power supplies.

Double blind tests were used.

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Always a bit ‘scary’, product recommendations as a first (or second) post though I’m not saying you’re a fraud.

What Hynes PSU did you compare with, powering what device?

There’s very little information on the specs of the PSU’s beyond power output.

I am merely making a recommendation based on my own personal listening experience. You do not have to follow it, that is entirely your own choice. Members with less financial means may find it useful. Thank you for your comment.

FYI: SR4 with players and streamers.

8 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Snore. Looks  similar to the Breeze Audio LPS's out of Hong Kong . 

don't base your conclusion on looks alone, don't judge the book by its cover. have you actually compared these in blind tests like me? If no?    ..what qualifies you to judge?

...it appears that members with longevity are using that to judge my integrity as a new member. Why? Long membership on here surely does not give them the right to put down new members without even giving them the benefit of the doubt?

I am trying to help and give my suggestions from a neutral point of view and I don't wish any ill feeling on anyone here. I hope someone can indeed benefit from my suggestions, but please don't put me down if you are reluctant to follow up on those suggestions.

It feels like instant suspicion directly aimed at me, even though I haven't done anything wrong. Please give me a chance, don't condemn me for merely making suggestions.

subjective, non-scientific, = fairly obvious what this means to anyone with an ounce of intelligence. i.e. no calculated measurements in a laboratory with oscilloscopes etc. Based on personal perception only.

I don't see how the double blind test amounts to anything scientific either, your just listening without knowing what equipment you are actually listening to. Although some will argue the scientific angle no doubt.

Thanx for the warm welcome to AS.

38 minutes ago, activist38 said:

subjective, non-scientific, = fairly obvious what this means to anyone with an ounce of intelligence. i.e. no calculated measurements in a laboratory with oscilloscopes etc. Based on personal perception only.

I don't see how the double blind test amounts to anything scientific either, your just listening without knowing what equipment you are actually listening to. Although some will argue the scientific angle no doubt.

Thanx for the warm welcome to AS.

Hi Activist 38,

Welcome to Audiophile Style,

Pls don’t take on board your less than stellar welcome.

I for one am interested in what you have to offer in the way of new equipment.

Thanks for making the effort to share your experiences.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

Hi @activist38,

+1 on the welcome to AS.

People are understandably a bit hesitant to believe an unknown product might be great despite a modest pricetag. But that's human nature.

I read your post with interest and went straight to the ReelAudio website to have a look. After all, all products are unknown at some point.

Thanks for sharing.

Will be good if others can share their experience too.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

4 hours ago, Dutch said:

Always a bit ‘scary’, product recommendations as a first (or second) post though I’m not saying you’re a fraud.

What Hynes PSU did you compare with, powering what device?

There’s very little information on the specs of the PSU’s beyond power output.

Bad Bad Bad Dutchy☝️ 😇 

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

Thank you all, for your welcome on here. Glad to see that you are not all immediately sceptical of new suggestions, and that's all they are! No one is forcing anyone to follow those suggestions, it's your own choice entirely. But any individual that 'thinks' there is something fraudulent about my suggestions/alternatives; that is OK too! Please feel free to think that if you wish because for every one person who thinks that way, there will be several who don't and have a more open minded approach to new ideas. If you try them and find it's not for you, then simply sell them on to someone else.

In the second or third reply to this someone said the Paul Baldwin device looks like a cheap re-branded/no name Chinese PSU. As I said "don't judge a book by the cover without reading it!". To emphasise this point I would like to say that the 'base model' of The Linear Solution LPSU looks identical to one of the cheap Chinese jobs, https://thelinearsolution.com/lps_912.html. But if you write and ask them they will tell you that a lot of thorough testing is put into the development of the unit with top quality PCB design, specially chosen parts, the purest cabling,  and expert soldering & connections, backed by a rock solid 5 year warranty and that is why it's $170 but the look-a-like Chinese job is only $55! (prices may differ slightly).

Well, it's the same story with Paul Baldwin PSU's. Small quote:

"Custom/Hand Built in the UK. 
These units utilise carefully designed circuits - transposed to circuit boards and then populated by me in the UK. No surface mount technology in sight!
Rear toggle switch to allow "Floating Ground" or "True Mains Ground" Earthing delivery to the Target unit, this allows custom switching to alleviate possible DIGI Equipment Ground Loops.
AC filtering/DC smoothing.
Example: Custom specially built dual rail Baldwin HiFi PSU 30VA etc. available on request.
Michell Tecnodec turntable specific 9.34VDC, with Vernier control which allows VERY fine Speed Control.
Etc."

But of course it is your prerogative to disbelieve these claims if you so wish(?), I'm only making a suggestion.

I for one would like to see detailed pictures of the inside. Maybe even some component numbers that are on the heatsink. That way it's easier to determine the quality.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

23 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

Hi Activist 38. It’s nothing to do with you per se.  Members have just learned  to be wary of first time posters who arrive promoting unknown products....especially those with a Hotmail.com e-mail address 

I'm not using a hotmail.com address?

42 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

because with surface mount technology the musicality stays on the surface and prevents you from getting that deep bass

ha ha, very funny! (reads sarcastic perhaps?). I think PB is well accustomed to this ridicule as a professional and takes the rough with the smooth.

If you are interested in PB products, please don't let these kind of comments deter you from trying them out. I think it's just a bit of fun, well let's hope so ay.