IGNORED

LPSU choices, new contender.....

The other issue is that because of the surface tension of liquid solder, a component does not need to be placed exactly — place it “close enough” and when the solder heats, the component will “snap” in place. 

Like everything a little practice helps. In my experience, most DIY errors are due to errors in wiring which SMD greatly reduces. So trade offs but people should try home SMD ... has anyone used alternatives to “reflowster” ie cheap — if so, what?

Sorry for OT but eh.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

What kind of components does Paul Hynes use?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

Ralf sometimes trying to be funny doesn’t always work, this is one such occasion.

Either contribute or find another thread 

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

3 hours ago, jabbr said:

That may be a good argument for a home pick and place. 

The reality is is that some “touch up” of the baked board is often necessary, particularly with home equipment. 

I find a stereo microscope essential, particularly for inspection. I have used verify extensively and can tell you that there is a learning curve. I have worked with people who have hereditary tremors and although can be an issue for the most detailed work, often can be counteracted by resting the firearms and base of hands in the table, while using the fingers to manipulate the teasers. Food fir thought!

I can also say that the AmScope equipment is astonishingly good at that sub $1000 price point, as I’ve used products in the $40-400,000 range. 

Hi,

I solder surface mount using a cheap stereo microscope - £200 from a UK supplier. I use the smallest components that are possible given the design power requirements etc. Here is a picture of a 24bit R2R DAC i built using 0603 surface mount resistors.

image.thumb.jpeg.2350c397ea208da1be6ebbc6759a1436.jpeg

As others have said, i use the corner of the hand to pivot to obtain the relevant precision and stability.

Regards,

Shadders.

14 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

I solder surface mount using a cheap stereo microscope - £200 from a UK supplier. I use the smallest components that are possible given the design power requirements etc. Here is a picture of a 24bit R2R DAC i built using 0603 surface mount resistors.

image.thumb.jpeg.2350c397ea208da1be6ebbc6759a1436.jpeg

As others have said, i use the corner of the hand to pivot to obtain the relevant precision and stability.

Regards,

Shadders.

Very nice work.

With this type of tremor, as @jabbr knows but others might not, it's a little more complex than just bracing.  This tremor is what's called "postural," which means that having the hand in certain positions triggers it.  Bracing would be helpful (and thanks for the idea), but I'd also need to try to ensure that my hand, wrist and forearm aren't in a bad position (one that triggers tremors) during soldering.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

4 minutes ago, Jud said:

Very nice work.

With this type of tremor, as @jabbr knows but others might not, it's a little more complex than just bracing.  This tremor is what's called "postural," which means that having the hand in certain positions triggers it.  Bracing would be helpful (and thanks for the idea), but I'd also need to try to ensure that my hand, wrist and forearm aren't in a bad position (one that triggers tremors) during soldering.

Hi Jud,

Thanks. Takes a while to implement, but once you get used to the work, it is not too bad to complete.

For yourself, there are reasonably cheap reflow ovens - but, if it is just a one off hobby, then it would be a lot of money for the ad hoc build. I think jabbr referred to the oven approach - which i have seen projects to build a toaster oven type reflow oven - so this is a cheap route to acceptable results. Another alternative is the heat gun, which is used for surface mount reworking - this may be a solution for you ? They are relatively cheap too.

Regards,

Shadders.

39 minutes ago, Shadders said:

For yourself, there are reasonably cheap reflow ovens - but, if it is just a one off hobby, then it would be a lot of money for the ad hoc build. I think jabbr referred to the oven approach - which i have seen projects to build a toaster oven type reflow oven - so this is a cheap route to acceptable results. Another alternative is the heat gun, which is used for surface mount reworking - this may be a solution for you ? They are relatively cheap too.

For boards with components on one side only, a hot plate can be used too.

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

A combination of SMD and through-hole.

Some good pictures of the SR7EHD three rail version here: http://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3087

Thanks nice pictures. I had seen some partial pictures of the top side and was always a bit puzzled by the lack components but suspected that there must be some smd’s on the other side and indeed. All with nicely scratched of type numbers.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

5 minutes ago, mansr said:

Hi,

I have seen the references to the videos on how to frying pan 😀  your surface mount board. I would probably try and find a local business that has a reflow oven, or i would try the heat gun.

Regards,

Shadders.

13 minutes ago, mansr said:

Yes, both that and heat gun have uses. The advantage of the toaster oven with temp controller is that a true profile can be programmed such that the temp ramps up to a specified max, and then ramps down. It’s important particularly for more expensive ICs that they reach the proper temp for the solder but don’t get fried. 

10 hours ago, activist38 said:

Unfortunately the CA/AS forum does appear to have a growing reputation around the internet for "droll/troll putdowns", members being banned while "the usual high-post count individuals" are always aloud to get away with their aggression to newbies, who are also met with suspicion and hostility! Many people have indeed left this place for these exact reasons, and that is sad because with open minded members like me and you, this could be a really really positive and constructive source of help and information, but not while the element are left unchecked! What happened to: innocent until proven guilty? comments I've read whilst surfing the web include: "that place is only any good if you want a good laugh", their claims are totally unrealistic, you simply can't believe anything you read on there (from the trollers), too many subjective claims without substance, I'll never use that 'resource' ever again, they drove me into depression" etc. etc.   ......and the list goes on and on! "BUT!" I thought why not give it a try as an open minded person and see what happens? Unfortunately the ex-members have proved to be pretty spot on with their observations so far! NO OFFENCE INTENDED TO THE GOOD SOULS LIKE YOURSELF! Perhaps the good members could simply ignore the trolls and eventually they will see that they are wasting their own time and energy, and will go away to some other forum to spread their vile accusations elsewhere? The key is that everyone MUST IGNORE THEM, don't add fuel to the fire, if we keep responding to them they will only keep on firing at us. And yes I do practice what I preach, and simply ignore or don't choose to respond to them, but it's no good just me doing that alone! It has to involve all the good people here and point it out and expose it like bullying in a school. We must all be willing to highlight and route out this negativity and that way, CA/AS can be once again clean and helpful, just like when it first started up. In other words: "ban the bullies, not the bully fighters! Thank you!

As an admin/mod. I would get this place sorted out in no time, and maybe that's why I could never be? Maybe the current mods. like it the way it is? But only the owner of the forum could replace the mods. were necessary. Yep, it's a sad story!

40 posts in and already a civility screed.  Paul R has some competition...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

19 minutes ago, crenca said:

40 posts in and already a civility screed.  Paul R has some competition...

From which we've managed to get things back to chatting about audio, for a while at least.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, mansr said:

I was thinking of this kind of thing:

spacer.png

Oh that’s nice. 

The cheap toaster ovens have IR bulbs on top and bottom which allows uniform heating. You place a temperature sensor so that you could control the temp by cycling the toaster on and off. The automatic device cycles the toaster on and off to set the temperature as desired, and thus can vary with time. 

You can also also use one of the laser thermometers to measure the actual temp on the board.