IGNORED

LPSU choices, new contender.....

Please forgive me if I don't answer your posts. That is because I have found it necessary to press the IGNORE member button. Six and counting! I can't be doing with the hassle. Please use/dissect  PB product before making any further comment thank you! To my ears these 'PB' PSU's sound excellent, subjectively speaking. It's just a recommendation from a satisfied customer, you don't have to follow it or buy it! BUT don't knock it - if you haven't tried it! So what if he doesn't use surface mount components, surely that's his choice and his design? It's no big deal.

I prefer point to point valve amps rather than PCB's options, that's my choice also. Knit pick on that as well if you like, be my guest, I'll just press ignore member.

15 minutes ago, activist38 said:

Please forgive me if I don't answer your posts. That is because I have found it necessary to press the IGNORE member button. Six and counting! I can't be doing with the hassle. Please use/dissect  PB product before making any further comment thank you! To my ears these 'PB' PSU's sound excellent, subjectively speaking. It's just a recommendation from a satisfied customer, you don't have to follow it or buy it! BUT don't knock it - if you haven't tried it! So what if he doesn't use surface mount components, surely that's his choice and his design? It's no big deal.

I prefer point to point valve amps rather than PCB's options, that's my choice also. Knit pick on that as well if you like, be my guest, I'll just press ignore member.

Great feature that I've up to now under-utilized. 

Thanks for the reminder. 

I think it's time for me to abandon my own thread. I have made a recommendation as a customer of PB and hopefully someone will find it helpful as long as you remember to ignore the sceptics on here. The sceptics by the way have NOT tried these products or tested them so their comments are totally useless! Please feel free to talk amongst yourselves and have fun! Job done, seed sown.

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

Looks like the_doc735/valveboy is back again.

I know what you mean he is bit sensitive but the usual suspects have nicely synced up with there menses also.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

19 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Going by the lack of detailed specifications anywhere,

I wanted to say "have you seen the Paul Hynes website?". But he is currently putting up a new website, maybe with specs this time.

Under development:

7 minutes ago, RickyV said:

I wanted to say "have you seen the Paul Hynes website?". But he is currently putting up a new website, maybe with specs this time.

I have previously seen quite a bit of detail about some of Paul's products including the topology, as well as how damn fast some of the opamps he uses in the voltage regulators are. I have previously used a Paul Hynes 3.3V voltage regulator in my DIY DAC and it is clearly lower noise than a generic 3.3V voltage regulator such as a LM3940T-3.3.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

13 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I have previously seen quite a bit of detail about some of Paul's products including the topology, as well as how damn fast some of the opamps he uses in the voltage regulators are. I have previously used a Paul Hynes 3.3V voltage regulator in my DIY DAC and it is clearly lower noise than a generic 3.3V voltage regulator such as a LM3940T-3.3.

It was about the lack of detailed specifications on the website. 

And is a output noise voltage of 150uV low noise?

Under development:

13 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Wise @Jud likened this place ideally as like a pub. We are all sitting here enjoying our ales, and you’ve come in telling us about a new type of hops you’ve found. We are chatting about the best ways to grow hops. We talk about hops and different ales on a nightly basis. Some of us grow our own hops for ourselves, others sell the hops they grow, and others just want to drink. If that’s not of interest to you, we can continue our discussions amongst ourselves ...

Nice extension of the analogy, but with the apparent liberal use of the ignore list, he may never see it.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Wise @Jud likened this place ideally as like a pub. We are all sitting here enjoying our ales, and you’ve come in telling us about a new type of hops you’ve found. We are chatting about the best ways to grow hops. We talk about hops and different ales on a nightly basis. Some of us grow our own hops for ourselves, others sell the hops they grow, and others just want to drink. If that’s not of interest to you, we can continue our discussions amongst ourselves ...

Aha.....maybe that explains why a few get pissed and leave 😳 

Thx for explaining why you use SMDs (if not why you advertised it as a feature - are components meant to be replaced by the user?).  There have been a lot of trolls who joined here for one reason or another (including being kicked off of other fora) so people can be a bit testy to newcomers.

59 minutes ago, Neverfinished0 said:

Surface mount technology is useful for mass manufacturers - yet for an engineer is a nightmare to replace. Thus my 'sad' "copy" offerings are  made from solid state components which can be changed easily (by an old bloke with a soldering iron) should that be required.

That's bullshit. There's no more polite way of saying it.

Hi Paul,

Two questions. One easy, one a bit more challenging.

I'm considering my DC power supplies currently and am potentially in the market for 2 x 12 to 19v PSUs capable of 1.5 to 3amps each. (These would be to power two Intel NUCs).

Forgive me being candid but your website didn't help me figure out which of your units was best. Would you recommend I consider two of the DC units or one of the Big Supply units (I assume these are dual rail?).

Second, more challenging, question. The Op compared your PSUs favourably to the Paul Hynes SR4. This is high praise indeed (and probably explains some of the testing responses he received) given the reputation Mr Hynes products have here.

Without asking you to give away your secret sauce, why should I consider taking a punt on your work? No offence intended and genuine question.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

9 hours ago, RickyV said:

It was about the lack of detailed specifications on the website. 

And is a output noise voltage of 150uV low noise?

It is  less than that of a typical LM317 etc. that many have used without problems for many years, and is still more than good enough for many applications these days. The main advantages of devices like this were their very fast slew rate, which gave them ripple rejection capabilities to MUCH higher frequencies than the generic voltage regulators.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020