IGNORED

LPSU choices, new contender.....

4 hours ago, marce said:

The first one has no details regarding its operation, though a read through the blurb gives us a hint:

"resulting in a very stable and clean, battery like, power input for the final low" 

and in the Q&A, it mentions the supercaps are being used as a filter bank, with a following regulator, a LPS with step down transformer front end. perhaps.

The second, well they use audiophile and audio grade often enough so it should be good... the bespoke fixed cable with a great lump on the end tickles my EMC senses a bit, as does the general purpose plastic case, interchangeable cable ends and other hints to a mass produced generic PSU.

Without any figures or measurements who can tell though.

Hi Marce,

Thank you very much for your reply 😀

Cheers Monge

6 hours ago, Tomslin said:

Hi Alex

Try to think little “outside the box” and leave the regulator issue there inside. I know that it’s possible to design a PSU without and still get a terrific sound quality. Even better in some cases 😁

I am already thinking outside the box, as all the implementations that I have seen have a voltage regulator AFTER the Ultra Caps. 

I agree with the reply from Marce.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

14 hours ago, sandyk said:

I am already thinking outside the box, as all the implementations that I have seen have a voltage regulator AFTER the Ultra Caps. 

AFAIK, not this one:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/327105-develop-ultra-capacitor-power-supply-lifepo4-battery-power-supply.html

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

20 minutes ago, matthias said:

Matt

It's my bedtime and I haven't got time now to read the whole DIY thread, but talking about the number of battery recharges suggests that the output voltage will vary with Ampere Hours used.

I don't know if my quick and dirty experimental design will work or not,:$  (probably goofed badly somewhere) but this is what I had intended trying .

It would be powered via a LM317T 5V regulator. The relay contacts would S/C the series resistors when the UltraCaps are almost  charged . I use this technique in the JLH PSU for my PC's internal LG BR writer.

BTW, 100FARAD is a lot of UltraCap power compared with most UltraCap PSUs. 

Alex

100F Filter cap.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

On 21. April 2019 at 2:45 PM, sandyk said:

It seems to me that we are losing the main advantages of a very low output impedance, huge current supply capabilities, and a neutral presentation from the Ultra Caps by using voltage regulators with various types and values of filter capacitors AFTER the Ultra Caps.

Agree,

"iancanada" in the mentioned diyaudio thread thinks the same:

"Both ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 power supply are passive power source. They are totally different to all kinds of regulators which are based on feedback. The most important thing is the perfect load response, much better than any regulator."

The new Farad PS from Pink Faun seems to use regulators AFTER the Ultra Caps:

"All supplies have an IEC power input and gold plated GX16-4 output for flexible power cable choice, high induction double shielded power transformer, schottky rectifiers, a choke power supply buffering, and a first stabilization charging the super capacitor bank to create a dynamic battery alike source. From this source the output voltage is stabilized by a fast transient, low noise regulator and post filtered with ultra low ESR polymer and reversed shape high voltage ceramic capacitors."

The Uptone Audio LPS-1.2 use regulators AFTER the Ultra Caps as well.

So, do exist manufacturers of Ultra Cap PSs without regulators AFTER the caps?

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

4 hours ago, Tomslin said:

Yes it does, here is one I know:

https://www.ciunas.biz/new-welcome

This doesn't surprise me. John Kenny is the guy behind them, and I have previously been involved in another forum along with John.

We are both on the same page in many areas INCLUDING the " Bits are Bits" area where John and Marcin from JPlay verified my reports with extended listening sessions.

On 4/25/2019 at 12:18 AM, matthias said:

Interesting,

any listening impressions with this UC PS?

I am wondering why @Pink Faun use regulators after the UCs.

Matt

I haven't listened to it, unfortunately.

There are at least some impressions in the TirNaHiFi thread I previously linked to:

http://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4652&start=10

Hard to say why they use regulators, only speculations without to ask himself. It can be related to commercial reasons or that they simply consider it better. Or maybe both.