IGNORED

Sonore opticalRendu

41 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Oh yes, I see that their OM1 is $8.90 for 7m and the OM3 is $10.50 🤣

Hahah!  Exactly!  I am just making sure I supply the "official" recommendation, along with additional information...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

3 hours ago, Steve Bruzonsky said:

Sorry, but I am a bit confused by all this well intended jabber. Since this stuff costs barely nothing, its easier just to get what Barrows uses.

So I will get:

https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-1000BASE-T-Converter-Switching-TFC-GSFP/dp/B01M32YPHJ/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_4?keywords=Trendnet+TFC-GSFP%2FA&qid=1551653118&s=gateway&sr=8-4-fkmrnull

Barrows, I assume your above cable link was for the media converter I already have. Can you give me the proper link to purchase the same cable you have to go with the media converter you use with the upgraded Sonore Signature Rendu SE/System Optique. Thanks.

We have tested this FMC with our gear so no worries here. Your existing FMC might or might not work. I can't say for sure because we have not tested it. 

6 hours ago, barrows said:

I am using this with complete success here:

https://www.colorpowercables.com/fiber-optic-cables-panels/OM3-10Gb-50-125-multimode-duplex-fiber-optic-patch-cable/?sku=D-L2L2-3R2-007M&options=LC/LC-7m-(23ft)

With the FMC i linked to, and the Signature Rendu/optical.  I figured using the cable with the ClearCurve feature would be good given the testing and moving stuff around I do here.  But Sonore's official recommendation is for OM1, which is a little more affordable (as in the first cable link).  Either cable will work perfectly with our products and the SFP transceivers we provide.  As the optical networking stuff is mostly fairly affordable, I would suggest starting out with s simple, proven, set up first.  Then if the need to tweak things, or try potential "upgrades" strikes, one has a good proven baseline performance first.  

Thanks

10 minutes ago, Steve Bruzonsky said:

Hi Steve.  i am not using any special tweaks or supplies for the FMC right now, just running the stock cheap switcher!  Still, performance is spectacular here.  Of course at some point I will probably try another supply, or maybe wait 'til the opticalModule becomes available to try other things.  Note, in my system the FMC is in the workroom where all the commercial computer gear is, and not anywhere near the audio system.  That FMC takes 5V at 1A, so any supply capable of that output should work.  I am too busy right now to build something up for it...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

5 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Anyone best able to respond to this is welcome. Would I be correct in thinking that the design and functionality of the Sonore Optical Rendu would likely eliminate the benefit of adding an ISO Regen, as has improved my UltraRendu  meaningfully? 

JC 

Some people are doing this, but we have not endorsed it officially or tested without. 

On 3/16/2019 at 8:33 PM, iLguapo said:

How is it coming along?  Are we looking good for a pre-tax due day delivery ?  That will really balance things out 

Currently waiting on cases and fine tuning the operating system. I'm not able to post an expected ship date at this time. 

This weekend I plan to test this StarTech USB to fiber media converter

1758159361_ScreenShot2019-03-19at8_29_56AM.png.034a2aed88d299aa998735fa8420980f.png

This adapter would allow one to stream from a computer directly via optical Ethernet to an opticalRendu and provide 100% galvanic isolation over the connection. 

There are a couple of versions available on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2ue7hSf

1. StarTech USB A to Fiber Optic Converter, open SFP, Gigabit Ethernet

2. StarTech USB C to Fiber Optic Converter, open SFP, Gigabit Ethernet

57 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

This adapter would allow one to stream from a computer directly via optical Ethernet to an opticalRendu and provide 100% galvanic isolation over the connection.

This must be a product John can make even better as one of his next possible next projects 😀

USB to Ethernet converter. 

5 hours ago, vortecjr said:

This weekend I plan to test this StarTech USB to fiber media converter.

How would that be different or better than someone using your (less expensive and more optimized) opticalModule FMC—connected to the copper Ethernet port of their computer?

That StarTech unit does not act as a switch or router, so as with any FMC, the computer would still need another network connection—and I recall you are not a fan of people doing the problematic “bridging” dance.

Maybe a USB>fiber converter will be useful for laptops lacking an Ethernet port, but again, that fiber output still needs to go to someplace on the network which will give it an IP address.

Am I missing something here my friend? :)

—Alex C.

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

How would that be different or better than someone using your (less expensive and more optimized) opticalModule FMC—connected to the copper Ethernet port of their computer?

That StarTech unit does not act as a switch or router, so as with any FMC, the computer would still need another network connection—and I recall you are not a fan of people doing the problematic “bridging” dance.

Maybe a USB>fiber converter will be useful for laptops lacking an Ethernet port, but again, that fiber output still needs to go to someplace on the network which will give it an IP address.

—Alex C.

wouldn't it be advantageous to go endpoint > usb to fiber converter > fiber > sfp port on switch?  that would leave out a couple of power supplies at least.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
26 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

wouldn't it be advantageous to go endpoint > usb to fiber converter > fiber > sfp port on switch?  that would leave out a couple of power supplies at least.

Not quite following you, other than that the StarTech USB>fiber converter is powered by computer USB 5VBUS and the Sonore opticalModule FMC (as well as lesser, garden variety FMCs) does require a modest power supply.

Beyond that I'll await Jesus' explanation regarding the rationale for his interest in the StarTech.  I am genuinely curious. B|

4 hours ago, Superdad said:

—Alex C.

The opticalModule is not available yet and this is just another connection scheme. Also, Andrew has a lot of sonicTransporters in the wild and this would be a simple and effective way to convert them to optical output without the need for another power supply. I'm going to test with my Mac which can access the internet via WiFi and assign an IP address to another unit. Andrew has code in his sonicTransporters to access the internet via Ethernet and assign an IP address to another unit. So we just need to load the driver to get this to work.  

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

The opticalModule is not available yet and this is just another connection scheme. Also, Andrew has a lot of sonicTransporters in the wild and this would be a simple and effective way to convert them to optical output without the need for another power supply. 

Ah, makes sense.  Something fun to try. Thanks.  

[And indeed Macs make it easy to share a network connection with other ports/devices.  I've been doing that for years with the Apple Thunderbolt>Ethernet Adapter.]

14 hours ago, k-man said:

@Superdad You need to see this thread to see what this ‘forward thinking’ approach is all about.

This will please the Bridge Gang a lot.

That is not optical Ethernet. It’s also proprietary and only works with their gear. 

11 hours ago, jcn3 said:

That would add two USB processes to the endpoint and we like to keep USB assigned audio playback only.

@vortecjr

I’ve just learn that SFP’s get quite hot, and also requires more power. 

Is this correct, and if so, will your opticalRendu and optical Module get quite hot or at least hotter than the UltraRendu ?

Is the fiber interface the main reason for a possible more power draw from the opticalRendu ? (Compared to UltraRendu). 

This may also limit the possible future implementation of SFP on the SonicTransporter?

On 3/21/2019 at 12:43 PM, R1200CL said:

@vortecjr

I’ve just learn that SFP’s get quite hot, and also requires more power. 

Is this correct, and if so, will your opticalRendu and optical Module get quite hot or at least hotter than the UltraRendu ?

Is the fiber interface the main reason for a possible more power draw from the opticalRendu ? (Compared to UltraRendu). 

This may also limit the possible future implementation of SFP on the SonicTransporter?

I haven’t really noticed the SFP getting hot. It’s light though, but these are LED based and not laser based. The opticalRendu gets warm, but we expected this since there are more linear regulators and more circuits. The opticalModule uses less power.