IGNORED

Sonore opticalRendu

4 hours ago, Em2016 said:

This is rather important though... Rendu's + Uptone LPS-1.2 is a rather popular combo, so we do need to know, for the  upcoming opticalRendu...

Agree...people need to know which is why I asked barrows to post his findings. However public argument and the conjecture it brings is not helpful. When we have an answer we will post it.

5 hours ago, R1200CL said:

What’s that, and why ?

3CE0C91D-F222-4E3A-BA99-6EB530C638DE.jpeg

That is the set up I used to test the current draw of the opticalRendu board.  On the left is the power supply with the DC cable coming out, that DC cable goes into an adapter cable with an inline series resistor (a 1 ohm, 1% Caddock MP930 part circled in red by you) and then plugs into the opticalRendu board on the right (obscured from prying eyes by the red anti static foam).  Current is then measured by monitoring the voltage drop across the resistor-this is a very precise and easy way of measuring current.

I posted the picture because some folks thought my estimates were controversial, so I wanted t make sure people understood that I actually took the time to produce accurate reliable results.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

@vortecjr I assume you are using LED rather than VCSELS in the opticalRendu since your starter kit comes with OM1 cable ... is this right?  Why does Adrian recommend Owens ClearCurve OM4 or OM5 with the SE?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

39 minutes ago, Mercman said:

Barrows,

Do I need to purchase an SFP module for the Signature Rendu SE upgrade I recently sent you?

Thanks

Hi Steve,  Nope!  The upgrade package will include two SFP transceivers: one will be installed in the Signature, and one will be packaged along with it.  The second SFP transceiver is to be used in your FMC, or other Network device (Router, Switch) which has an SFP cage/optical output.  

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

2 minutes ago, barrows said:

Hi Steve,  Nope!  The upgrade package will include two SFP transceivers: one will be installed in the Signature, and one will be packaged along with it.  The second SFP transceiver is to be used in your FMC, or other Network device (Router, Switch) which has an SFP cage/optical output.  

Thanks Barrows!

Steve Plaskin

1 hour ago, lxgreen said:

Now I’m confused. I ordered the SE upgrade, bought the OM4 fiber you recommended. Do I also need to purchase an FMC?

Does your existing Network have a switch or router with an optical output (SFP cage)?  If so then you will not need an FMC.  If you have no existing Network component with an optical port (SFP cage) then you will need an FMC to convert from electrical Ethernet to optical.  We provide the SFP transceiver (a module which fits inside the SFP cage) for both the Signature Rendu and the upstream converter.

For the Signature Rendu with optical upgrade a simple connection scheme looks like this:

Server-wired Ethernet (CAT 6A, etc)-Router-wired Ethernet (CAT 6A, etc)-FMC-optical cable (LC-LC, OM1, etc.)-Signature Rendu/optical.  In this scheme the FMC (fiber media converter) just converts from wired Ethernet (CAT 6A etc) to optical cable (LC-LC OM1 etc).

This is the basic set up, of course there are many possible variations.  The main thing to understand here is that the Signature Rendu with the optical upgrade takes an optical cable input, so some device upstream has to use an optical cable as well: that device could be an FMC to convert from electrical to optical signaling, or it could be Network switch with an optical port, or it could be a Router with an optical port.

SONORE computer audio

2 hours ago, barrows said:

Does your existing Network have a switch or router with an optical output (SFP cage)?  If so then you will not need an FMC.  If you have no existing Network component with an optical port (SFP cage) then you will need an FMC to convert from electrical Ethernet to optical.  We provide the SFP transceiver (a module which fits inside the SFP cage) for both the Signature Rendu and the upstream converter.

For the Signature Rendu with optical upgrade a simple connection scheme looks like this:

Server-wired Ethernet (CAT 6A, etc)-Router-wired Ethernet (CAT 6A, etc)-FMC-optical cable (LC-LC, OM1, etc.)-Signature Rendu/optical.  In this scheme the FMC (fiber media converter) just converts from wired Ethernet (CAT 6A etc) to optical cable (LC-LC OM1 etc).

This is the basic set up, of course there are many possible variations.  The main thing to understand here is that the Signature Rendu with the optical upgrade takes an optical cable input, so some device upstream has to use an optical cable as well: that device could be an FMC to convert from electrical to optical signaling, or it could be Network switch with an optical port, or it could be a Router with an optical port.

I hate to be an annoyance here, but your communication re this upgrade is really poor. I sent an email to you asking how to order the upgrade, you replied with the tiers of upgrade available which, as far as I can tell, is nowhere on your website. You also indicated I needed an OM4 fiber and supplied the link, which I immediately ordered. Now, since I have a standard Ethernet switch, I obviously don’t have an optical port. I guess it is supposed to be obvious that now I also need an FMC; but since I have never seen what the upgrade looks like nor what additional parts I need I don’t see why some kind of simple diagram with parts and part numbers or order links would be quite useful. Why are you making a simple upgrade so difficult? I will order an fmc now but can you provide me with which I should buy and where? I’d be surprised if I was the only one having problems trying to get this right the first time.

24 minutes ago, lxgreen said:

I hate to be an annoyance here, but your communication re this upgrade is really poor

I am sorry you feel you are receiving poor support!  I have not received any e-mail from you that I am aware of?  Do you mean you sent an e-mail to someone else at Sonore perhaps?

In any case, I do not handle sales, and do not know what the pricing is of the different tiers of the upgrade.  For information regarding pricing and ordering you need to contact:

[email protected], that is Adrian, he handles sales.

I am happy to answer any technical questions you might have here on this thread.

As far as FMCs go I am using this one it is plug and play:

https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-1000BASE-T-Converter-Switching-TFC-GSFP/dp/B01M32YPHJ/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_4?keywords=Trendnet+TFC-GSFP%2FA&qid=1551653118&s=gateway&sr=8-4-fkmrnull

You should have no problem with your OM4 optical cable as long as it has LC/LC terminations.

Please let me know if I can help in any other way.

SONORE computer audio

4 minutes ago, barrows said:

I am sorry you feel you are receiving poor support!  I have not received any e-mail from you that I am aware of?  Do you mean you sent an e-mail to someone else at Sonore perhaps?

In any case, I do not handle sales, and do not know what the pricing is of the different tiers of the upgrade.  For information regarding pricing and ordering you need to contact:

[email protected], that is Adrian, he handles sales.

I am happy to answer any technical questions you might have here on this thread.

As far as FMCs go I am using this one it is plug and play:

https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-1000BASE-T-Converter-Switching-TFC-GSFP/dp/B01M32YPHJ/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_4?keywords=Trendnet+TFC-GSFP%2FA&qid=1551653118&s=gateway&sr=8-4-fkmrnull

You should have no problem with your OM4 optical cable as long as it has LC/LC terminations.

Please let me know if I can help in any other way.

So sorry. You are correct. Adrian is the one I emailed. I appreciate your suggestion for an fmc

57 minutes ago, lxgreen said:

I hate to be an annoyance here, but your communication re this upgrade is really poor.

You could just get the starter kit.  Start reading posts by @vortecjr (Jesus from Sonore) here

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55216-sonore-systemoptique/?do=findComment&comment=918599

I think Adrian just assumed that everyone had been following along in that thread.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

19 minutes ago, lxgreen said:

So sorry. You are correct. Adrian is the one I emailed. I appreciate your suggestion for an fmc

No worries, I am happy to be able to help.

SONORE computer audio

Right now Barrows is upgrading my Sonore Signature Rendu SE with the full SystemOptique package!

I had emailed Adrian with no response so I will ask Barrows:

Adrian mentioned that the  Sonore Optical Module (ethernet to optical/optical to ethernet converter) will be available for sale in maybe two months; and that I will be able to use this which includes the cabling to connecgt/provide optical into the Signature Rendu SE. He said this will be better than what you buy off the shelf say at Amazon.

1. This begs the question whether the upgraded unit have both ethernet and fiber inputs (so I can simply use the ethernet input until the Sonore Optical Module is available)?

2.  If the upgraded Rendu SE will only have a fiber input, I do have a TP-Link Gigabit Ethernet Media Converter, 1000Mbps RJ45 to 1000M Multi-Mode SC Fiber (MC200CM). Is this converter compatible with the upgraded unit for me to use until the Sonore Optical Module is available?

3.  If the upgraded Rendu SE only has optical input and my above fiber module is not compatible with the upgraded Rendu SE, then I assume I should buy the optical module that you use (https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-1000BASE-T-Converter-Switching-TFC-GSFP/dp/B01M32YPHJ/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_4?keywords=Trendnet+TFC-GSFP%2FA&qid=1551653118&s=gateway&sr=8-4-fkmrnull).  Can you give me the link for the optical cable to buy

compatible with the upgraded Rendu SE.

4.  Can you explain if the upcoming Sonore Optical Module should provide better audio performance than the above off the shelf stuff at Amazon and why?

Thanks.

Hi Steve,

First, regarding the opticalModule, it is not available yet, and I have no comment on it as for how it may or may not improve the performance of the optical network.  All I know about it is that it will be a high quality converter, engineered to high standards, with clean power supplies and a high performance clock.  As suitable FMCs are available at fairly low cost, I would suggest that purchasing a suitable FMC for use at first will offer excellent performance, and then later one can ponder whether to upgrade to an opticalModule when they become available.

The Signature Rendu optical upgrade comes with only the optical fiber input.  And will require an optical cable feed from the network. 

You have this one?

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Ethernet-Converter-Multi-Mode-MC200CM/dp/B003AVRLZI/ref=sr_1_1?hvadid=177227451809&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1014647&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=1196064297251843885&hvtargid=kwd-22004222242&keywords=tp+link+mc200cm&qid=1551730227&s=gateway&sr=8-1&tag=googhydr-20

I am not sure if it will work.  Unfortunately we cannot vouch for every type of converter out there.  Maybe @vortecjr, knows the answer to this question?  Looks like this one wants to run at 1000 Mbps which may be a problem.

As to cables, the official Sonore recommendation is for OM1 cables.  The SFP transceivers we provide use LC-LC connections, and the cable is multimode. 

SONORE computer audio

https://www.colorpowercables.com/fiber-optic-cables-panels/om1-62-5-125-multimode-duplex-fiber-optic-patch-cable/

Hi Steve,

Above is the link to purchasing cable.  They are reliable, offer quick service, and test every cable after termination.  If it turns out your current FMC will work (if Jesus checks in and confirms such), then you would need to purchase an SC-LC terminated cable, as your FMC has built-in SC only connections.  All the SFP transceiver modules provided by Sonore are for LC connectors.

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, Steve Bruzonsky said:

2.  If the upgraded Rendu SE will only have a fiber input, I do have a TP-Link Gigabit Ethernet Media Converter, 1000Mbps RJ45 to 1000M Multi-Mode SC Fiber (MC200CM). Is this converter compatible with the upgraded unit for me to use until the Sonore Optical Module is available?

fyi -- i have these fmcs and use one to connect my endpoint (a nuc) to an sfp port on my switch.  you just need to get a fiber cable like this to work with the lc sfp module.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Sorry, but I am a bit confused by all this well intended jabber. Since this stuff costs barely nothing, its easier just to get what Barrows uses.

So I will get:

Barrows, I assume your above cable link was for the media converter I already have. Can you give me the proper link to purchase the same cable you have to go with the media converter you use with the upgraded Sonore Signature Rendu SE/System Optique. Thanks.

I am using this with complete success here:

https://www.colorpowercables.com/fiber-optic-cables-panels/OM3-10Gb-50-125-multimode-duplex-fiber-optic-patch-cable/?sku=D-L2L2-3R2-007M&options=LC/LC-7m-(23ft)

With the FMC i linked to, and the Signature Rendu/optical.  I figured using the cable with the ClearCurve feature would be good given the testing and moving stuff around I do here.  But Sonore's official recommendation is for OM1, which is a little more affordable (as in the first cable link).  Either cable will work perfectly with our products and the SFP transceivers we provide.  As the optical networking stuff is mostly fairly affordable, I would suggest starting out with s simple, proven, set up first.  Then if the need to tweak things, or try potential "upgrades" strikes, one has a good proven baseline performance first.  

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, barrows said:

But Sonore's official recommendation is for OM1, which is a little more affordable (as in the first cable link).

Oh yes, I see that their OM1 is $8.90 for 7m and the OM3 is $10.50 🤣

Custom room treatments for headphone users.