IGNORED

Sonore opticalRendu

Hello everyone, I am having the opportunity to change my Ultrarendu into an Opticalrendu.  

I know that these comparisons have already been made, but I didn't see a unanimity favoring opticalrendu.  

My network is already via optical cable separating the dirty side (room where the Core Roon + HQPLAYER is) in the sound room this fiber reaches a Sotm Switch and from there it goes to the Ultrarendu via network cable (CAT-7 Sotm with filter) after - Matrix - Directstream DAC.

I would like to know if in a scenario like mine this upgrade would be consistent or not, if you opt for Optical I would dispense with the Sotm switch.

Optical prices are pretty steep here in Brazil, costing more than twice as much as Ultra, this upgrade would have to be consistent and unambiguous to be worth it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Reg19 said:

Does the SFP model being used affect the sound quality in the oR? If so, which ones are recommended?

I once tried to change SFP. Bought something recommended by other audiophiles. Didn’t hear any change in comparison to stock module. And I’m normally very sensitive to such things. I was able to hear difference between Farad and Keces LPSU for example.

1 hour ago, Tihon said:

I once tried to change SFP. Bought something recommended by other audiophiles. Didn’t hear any change in comparison to stock module. And I’m normally very sensitive to such things. I was able to hear difference between Farad and Keces LPSU for example.

That makes sense. The principal behind using fiber in the signal path is that in the process of converting the bitstream from electric pulses to light pulses, any RF or EMI noise in the bitstream will be filtered out. SFP+ can carry a higher data rate, up to 10GHz, which is meaningless, since even the the 1GHz speed of SFP is more than enough for any audio stream. 

6 hours ago, Reg19 said:

Does the SFP model being used affect the sound quality in the oR? If so, which ones are recommended? Can we use SFP+ with the oR?

Yes, different SFP modules can sound different in highly resolving systems, the differences can be quite subtle.  For example, I would not recommend bothering to experiment with different SFP modules unless one has already optimized all other aspects of the Network set up:  especially the power supply for the oR, and opticalModule if in use.  Make sure these are the best supplies possible: The Sonore Power Supply is recommended for best performance.

If everything else is optimized and you would like to experiment with other SFPs, I will say I like the Finisar FTLF1421P1BTL as a pair in my opticalModule Deluxe and Signature Rendu SEoptical.  Note that these SFPs use single mode fiber (OS2, yellow) cables.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

17 hours ago, barrows said:

Yes, different SFP modules can sound different in highly resolving systems, the differences can be quite subtle.  For example, I would not recommend bothering to experiment with different SFP modules unless one has already optimized all other aspects of the Network set up:  especially the power supply for the oR, and opticalModule if in use.  Make sure these are the best supplies possible: The Sonore Power Supply is recommended for best performance.

If everything else is optimized and you would like to experiment with other SFPs, I will say I like the Finisar FTLF1421P1BTL as a pair in my opticalModule Deluxe and Signature Rendu SEoptical.  Note that these SFPs use single mode fiber (OS2, yellow) cables.

Thanks barrows! 🙏

I am attaching a photo of my oR setup. Hopefully, those are the power supplies that you recommended. I do have Synergistic Purple fuses in both my Sonore power supplies (though, this only makes a very minor difference, IMHO).

My goal is to make my oR setup sound a bit more fluid / analog (like my SoTM trifecta) and less digital. I know that it is possible as a few members have described their oR setup as very ‘analog’ sounding. I think my oR (with my current power supplies) sounds more dynamic and has better ‘blacks’ than my SoTM but is a bit more digital sounding.

FWIW: here is the rest of my system.

DAC: Holo Audio May L2

Preamp: (1) VAC Renaissance MkV or (2) Audio Research REF 6

Amps: (1) Parasound JC1+ monos, or (2) Pass Labs X260.8 monos

Speakers: Focal Maestro Utopia III + twin REL subs

I also noticed that while the SoTM is compatible with the Innuos Phoenix Net switch (that I am demoing), the oR is not (though, this factor is not of much importance to me).

84FFE88A-403E-463F-BE9E-E5B73B9E10F3.jpeg

@barrows  First: thank you for your detailed reply, Sir. If you're ever in the tri-state area and would like to audition / hear / critique my system & chat music / equipment over some drinks, let me know.

1. The one big 'area for improvement' I've always heard from the audiophiles who've heard my setup is that it is too warm. I've owned 3 other sets of Focal speakers before this one (Electra 1038Be, Sopra 3, and Scala Utopia). From experience, the smaller / earlier Focals tended to be bright. Surprisingly, Maestros have a warm signature - which does not blend well with the fact that JC1+ tend to be on the warm side too (or, at least, a bit less detailed in the top end).

2. Pass X260.8 monos are wonderful, especially for Jazz (they make you melt in your seat when paired with a good tube preamp) & with most other speakers, I'd keep them and sell the JC1+ monos. However, because my speakers' impedance dips down to 1.7 ohms at 110Hz, I find that the JC1+ are a better overall fit (especially for classical music). With speakers that can utilize their fantastic current delivering capacity, they are surprisingly underrated.

3. Yes, the Innuous switch connects to the opticalModule, Intel NUC (running Roon), and the Mac Studio (running HQPlayer). Yes, it is 100Mb, so that might be the reason why it does not work with the oM / oR.

4. Thanks for the 1421 SFP recommendation. Apparently, it is 'obsolete' according to Mouser. Must be discontinued.

5. I can vouch for your Sonore Audiophile Power Supply. It is tremendous. It seems to have a very low output impedance as it is quite dynamic with the oR & music has fast transients.

I shall PM you with my findings...

I have drawerful of SFPs from my experiments. My favorite is the singlemode Finisar FTLX1475D3BCV.

@Reg19 Wondering if you've tried the Innuos PhoenixUSB? I have both a PhoenixUSB and a PhoenixNet, and while I like both, in my setup the PhoenixUSB had a bigger impact on reducing digital harshness than the PhoenixNet. I also recently added a Sonore UltraDigital to go from USB to SPDIF into my Chord M Scaler—seems the SPDIF interface is a little less noisy (no idea about the Holo May inputs).

To my ears, Sablon USB & ethernet cables also help tame harshness.

best,

muski 

On 5/15/2023 at 11:07 AM, Tihon said:

I was able to hear difference between Farad and Keces LPSU for example.

and what were the main differences?

I have a farad, and saw the Keces at Munich, looked nice.. unfortunetly didnt see any setup in which brands of LPS I know were playing

3 hours ago, Tihon said:

Better LPSU normally gives darker (less harsh) sound, improve soundstage depth and dynamics. I’ve tried several LPSUs, Farad was the best.

Umm, while there is some truth to what you say, it is not the entire truth.  As one who designs power supplies, the differences in sonics depend on the specific differences between power supplies.  For example, a better power supply while often offering a more relaxed sound as you note, will also often allow for better retrieval of ambient details, the room sound (whether a real room or a imposed one via the recording process) will become more obvious and distinct.  Also small details regarding the timbre of instruments will be more present, and the entire presentation will become more real and alive, more like humans making music, rather than an electric facsimile.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

59 minutes ago, barrows said:

better retrieval of ambient details, the room sound (whether a real room or a imposed one via the recording process) will become more obvious and distinct.  Also small details regarding the timbre of instruments will be more present, and the entire presentation will become more real and alive, more like humans making music, rather than an electric facsimile

Absolutely agree on this. In my previous post I only mentioned the very basics, which is easy to hear.

I think PSUs (as one of the key components of "quality power") affect everything. Lower noise floor -> better retrieval of "small signals". And those "small signals" (details, quiet sounds - whatever we call it) is what gives us sense of realism in playback. Something like the difference between a modern 3D animation and a real movie.