IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

9 minutes ago, audiojerry said:

But knowing how effective Uptone's products have been in the past, and how terrific Uptone treats its customers, I will not hesitate to give the new Ether a try.    

.....Just wait until you hear the price ?

I’m afraid we may pass $500.

10 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Okay, now that the day's shipments are out the door I can take a breath and give a reasonable response to your very reasonable post. :)

It is not that we don't think excellent clocking is not worthwhile--in an Ethernet switch or elsewhere.

[As you know, John is working hard on a measurement system that may finally provide visual proof (of what many hear) of the "phase-noise finger-print" of clocking of packet data interfaces.  He has a strong theory on the why (a lot to do with ground-plane bounce and clock edges), but we want to show it visually--at the output of a DAC!]

And absolutely the key is in doing everything well. Power supplies, isolation, and clocking.  

It is just that so far, the "audiophile" switches on the market are just adding good clocks to a stock switch, or doing that plus adding passive Ethernet transformer isolators and ancillary passive parts (one of you reported that SOtM's engineer said their isolation is based on their iSO-CAT6 product).

Since what we are doing is more sophisticated, I am just wishing folks would not get hung up on the clocking--which will be excellent and which yes, can even be disciplined with an external 10MHz master for those who wish to carry it that far.

(It feels a bit like when we first announced the UltraCap LPS-1 and everyone got hung up talking about what AC>DC converter it could be charged with--rather than about all the really cool aspects of the design.)

Of course I realize that in the absence of our providing more detailed information about the design of the EtherREGEN (still trying to figure out what elements to reveal), people will chat about the areas they know of and whatever first comes to mind. 

I get that...B|

Alex you are both "Teaser and Firecat". Let's hope that everyone can stay on the "Peace Train" until you can start telling us more.  

Everyone I talk to in the electronics industry are talking about parts shortages and delays.  I hope it all works out.

And besides I need new speakers first so I can wait!  I hope,....  (putting the credit card back in the freezer now).  

Bob

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

You do not know that!  So why say that?

Truth be told, neither do I at the moment.  We are starting to add up the BoM, but at the moment I am more concerned with availability of of every part.  Some chips have multi-month lead times! >:(

After the wait, to find out the chips are counterfeit will not please anyone. How do you safeguard against that, buy lot numbers from the likes of TI?

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

1 hour ago, JohnSwenson said:

My personal leanings are against it, when we go with a different case we have not used before, there are ALWAYS several iterations of case and board that have to be done in order to get everything just right. This adds a lot of development cost AND a couple months to the delivery time. Do you guys REALLY want that?

John S.

Thanks John for the detailed explanation.

I'd think that no one wants to delay it a couple months.

I'd also guess that 50ohms is the way to go as I got the sense previously that I was in the minority with my 75ohm clock.

I guess I'll wait to see if you guys knock it out the park sufficiently to render the clock input unnecessary.

That or whether it plays nicely before or after my potential SoTM switch ?

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

2 hours ago, mansr said:

How difficult would it be for someone reasonably skilled to replace the connector and termination resistor?

Very ?

All these parts shall fit into the same box as LPS and UltraRendu is using. 

I don’t expect normal resistors to be used.

It’s  these miniature components. Whatever they are called.

If John or Alex was capable of doing a few 75 Ohm boards manual, at a extra cost of, let’s say $200. (Yes quite high), and if they had the time in addition, (which it seems they haven’t), yes probably, but my understanding is it’s almost impossible to do this kind of work.

I think John built his own machine for assembly prototypes. It’s described in another tread with video. 

But you will probably find someone willing to try. I think similar has been done with the Singxer SU-1 modification.

Is it worth the effort before someone has tested this out with a very good master clock ? And very expensive cables as well. 

10 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

The problem is that in order to have both a 50 and 75 external input you need both a 50 and 75 BNC jack. There is no way to properly electrically implement both with one jack. Any such approach will degrade the signal, I have a feeling those that want to use multi thousand dollar external clocks will NOT want to have the circuit deliberately degrade the signal! Thus in order to do it we will need to have both jacks. The big problem is there is no room for both jacks on the case we have been planning for, to do it would mean going to a larger enclosure which will cost more money, not just for the extra parts, but for the enclosure and larger board.

There is a good possibility that traces on the board will wind up being longer because of the larger board, possibly slightly degrading performance.  Is it worth it?

My personal leanings are against it, when we go with a different case we have not used before, there are ALWAYS several iterations of case and board that have to be done in order to get everything just right. This adds a lot of development cost AND a couple months to the delivery time. Do you guys REALLY want that?

John S.

You're the manufacturer. It's up to you to decide what you can deliver, and what tradeoffs you need to make to do so.

Obviously, as customers, we want the best performance AND ultimate flexibility. That doesn't make us bad people. It's what customers do!

If you can deliver only one impedance, then pick one (take a poll, for example) and do it - and accept the fact that perhaps some customers will regard that as a showstopper. That's life. You're not going to able to please everybody.

a 50 vs. 75 poll is a good idea - and a likely guess is that many of the potential buyers are on this site...

or a quick market analysis of which DACs have which only have one that are likely candidates could be done

- the latter is something a biz school intern could do...

38 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

a 50 vs. 75 poll is a good idea - and a likely guess is that many of the potential buyers are on this site...

or a quick market analysis of which DACs have which only have one that are likely candidates could be done

- the latter is something a biz school intern could do...

I vote 75.

But then I would. Being in the minority does not diminish my democratic right.

Like I voted against Brexit.

Like I'd have voted against Trump.

Er, eh, well.....

It's nice to be asked I guess ?

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers