IGNORED

Article: MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

53 minutes ago, mansr said:

Interpolation in general means calculating additional values between two given values. Applied to a sequence of samples, this naturally results in an integer multiple.

Also many possible kernels (base functions you use to create the interpolated shape - @mansr: obviously you know). I am not sure how sophisticated this gets in upsampling, but it can get pretty frigging crazy.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

I hate monopolies!  Thanks you so much for posting this article.

2 Ch stereo

Auralic Aries>Wireworld AES>Kitsune Holo Spring DAC L3>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>Sonic Euphoria (fully balance autoformer)>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>D-Sonic M3-1200S-A (Anaview AMS1000-2600)>Synergistic Tesla Accelerator cable>Ohm 3000 speakers plus Omni Harmonizer super tweeter

4 hours ago, Doug Schneider said:

Sam's real-life alter ego, Tom Gillett

And maybe the final word on this, thats the correct spelling of his name to my knowledge, despite various misspellings preceding in this thread (curiously including Kal's).

4 hours ago, wdw said:

Tellig was entertaining!

That he was, for many years (decades).

4 hours ago, wdw said:

To my mind Dudley is in the same realm.

Agreed, and sadly now seemingly part of a time gone by. The print magazines used to be something to look forward to, if not always taken with a grain of salt.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

7 hours ago, adamdea said:

The first 14 bit players were called 4 x oversampling I’m fairly sure.

That is generally correct, although many years ago I found a very old Philips document in which their 14 bit 4 x approach was named 'upsampling'.

To all interested: in the context of consumer audio, oversampling and upsampling always mean (except perhaps in a few freak products) increasing the sample rate of a given digital signal, accompanied with digital-domain anti-imaging/reconstruction/interpolation filtering.

The in/out sample rate ratio may be integer or not, in the grand scheme of things that is but a detail.

All other 'definitions' such as 'increasing the clock rate' or 'inserting zeroes' are obfuscating and thus useless.

2 hours ago, Fokus said:

That is generally correct, although many years ago I found a very old Philips document in which their 14 bit 4 x approach was named 'upsampling'.

To all interested: in the context of consumer audio, oversampling and upsampling always mean (except perhaps in a few freak products) increasing the sample rate of a given digital signal, accompanied with digital-domain anti-imaging/reconstruction/interpolation filtering.

The in/out sample rate ratio may be integer or not, in the grand scheme of things that is but a detail.

All other 'definitions' such as 'increasing the clock rate' or 'inserting zeroes' are obfuscating and thus useless.

Hi that's what I thought.

I suspect that most attempts distinguish over and upsampling are based on some view that this or that process (or product) is better. The especially seems to crop up with arguments that integer multiples are more natural becasue the preserve the original data or something. (a bit mystical IMHO, but possible I suppose that they are easier to do accurately)

I think the water may have been muddied further by ASRC.

You are not a sound quality measurement device

9 hours ago, Doug Schneider said:

I actually found two bits of information about this from Thierry Heeb (he was with Anagram): "Oversampling is an upsampling process where the ratio between output sampling frequency and input sampling frequency is an integer larger than 1. Upsampling is any kind of transformation providing an output sampling frequency that is higher than the input sampling frequency and not necessarily a ratio."

He also wrote an AES paper in 2006 on the subject, but I can't find it at the moment.

I also found this Spanish-language article that references Heeb and attempts to distinguish the two: http://www.revistacec.com/didactica/3014-upsampling-y-oversampling-3014.html

Doug
SoundStage!

Thanks Doug

It seems that different people use the terms in different ways. I suspect that at the root of this is the argument that it's somehow ok as long as you are just adding extra values, but suspect if all your samples are different. I'm not sure this is a sound engineering distinction. The distinction seems to reflect points people would like to make rather than reflecting actual usage. 

45 minutes ago, astromo said:

Thanks for shedding light on the back story.

I raised the Moran and Meyer work a few posts back to contrast with the lack of transparency and empirical validation being offered by the proponents of MQA. It was pointed out that the M&M work was flawed.

I don't see that as a problem.

For me, that's still a positive. They published their method, theories and results and in time it was critiqued. To their credit, M&M appear to have acknowledged their shortcomings. Other researchers have gained benefit from those mistakes and it has added to the body of knowledge. That's good science.

I still consider that there is a stark contrast between good scientific method and the blurred assertions put forward to support the case for MQA.

It's very disappointing that Archimago's identity has been used to detract from the effort he has made. The listening test that he's pulled together deserves due credit, as does the technical analysis. It wipes the floor with the alternate empirical work put forward by the MQA proponents, which, from what I've seen, is meagre at best.

I look forward to a robust, evidence based refutation of Archimago's essay. If the previous comments in the negative are any guide, I'll be waiting a good while before I see much of value in that regard.

We'll see.

The major flaw with Meyer and Moran was that it turned out some of the sacds were upsampled redbook and no one had noticed. IIRC people were just asked to bring their favourite sacds. So not really a great point for hi res proponents, if methodologically a definite flaw in the study.

19 minutes ago, adamdea said:

The major flaw with Meyer and Moran

Another flaw, IIRC, was that they had people drive for hours (!), to an alien listening room (!), with an alien system (!), judge the sound in a fairly short time, and then drive back (possibly past the pub).

I know what my ears are worth after two hours in a car ...

4 hours ago, astromo said:

It's very disappointing that Archimago's identity has been used to detract from the effort he has made.

I don't get that part either. The E=MC2 could have been attributed anonymously and it's significance not diluted one single iota as it relates to the anonymous donor of the theory. 

12 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

The only reason I posted about this at all was that I had always thought his identity was obvious to me.

Is this Stereophile's new M.O.? Arrive at an opinion that the average person probably wouldn't, then double-down without evidence?

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

3 minutes ago, wdw said:

Perhaps Mr. JA is so completely bound up in layers of NDA and cannot easily participate.

Could be it! He can't disclose that he can't disclose. Double-secret NDA.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

24 minutes ago, wdw said:

Perhaps Mr. JA is so completely bound up in layers of NDA and cannot easily participate.

Yep, I suspect the use of IP/NDA in this whole MQA episode is part of how these trade publications and even manufacturers got hoodwinked.  They simply did not have the expertise and experience to know what they were wading into, and the consequences there of.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

2 hours ago, beetlemania said:

Is this Stereophile's new M.O.? Arrive at an opinion that the average person probably wouldn't, then double-down without evidence?

Since when are conversations of an individual's personal recollections subject to scientific scrutiny?  If you want to believe my memory is faulty, so be it. 

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

8 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Since when are conversations of an individual's personal recollections subject to scientific scrutiny?  If you want to believe my memory is faulty, so be it. 

You wrote that you knew Tellig was a pseudonym before you were associated with Stereophile but provided no source that informed that knowledge - falsely, as far as I can tell, claiming "it was always in the magazine" . I've been reading Stereophile for ~30 years and have known about Tellig/Gillett for several years but I think I read about it on AudioAsylum, certainly not within the pages of Stereophile. I find it curious it was "obvious" to you.