IGNORED

Article: MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

1 hour ago, John_Atkinson said:

In my interviews with Bob Stuart, he has told me that the intention is that the analog signal output by the consumer's D/A converter is identical to that output by the mike preamps (in a purist recording) or the mixing console (in a conventional recording).  That the A/D conversion, transmission, storage and D/A conversion be transparent, other than there being an ultrasonic rolloff equivalent to a signal path of a few feet in air. This has been written about in the magazine.

Why when I read things like this does the word smug always come to mind?

It seems that those investigating this claim have shown that what reaches the consumer is an adulterated facsimile of the original!

Jim

1 hour ago, wdw said:

Not attempting to defend anyone but I do not need to degrade someone to make my points.  There are a number of N. Young fans on this site although I am not one of them.  I enjoyed Tellig although never took it as anything other than entertainment.

I'm sure you, like any adult, can distinguish the merit of an artist's work  (I like Neil's)  from his opinions on, say, technology. Right?

As for Tellig, how do you know he wouldn't find your opinion of his work 'degrading' too?

3 minutes ago, sullis02 said:

I'm sure you, like any adult, can distinguish the merit of an artist's work  (I like Neil's)  from his opinions on, say, technology. Right?

As for Tellig, how do you know he wouldn't find your opinion of his work 'degrading' too?

OK, fair comment,  Truce?

In my interviews with Bob Stuart, he has told me that the intention is that the analog signal output by the consumer's D/A converter is identical to that output by the mike preamps (in a purist recording) or the mixing console (in a conventional recording).  That the A/D conversion, transmission, storage and D/A conversion be transparent, other than there being an ultrasonic rolloff equivalent to a signal path of a few feet in air. This has been written about in the magazine.

And it always makes me ask: does Bob mean that he's going to somehow enforce the use of original mixdown master sources, rather than, say, versions that have been subsequently 'remastered' to reduce their dynamic range?   

IOW will it be 'audiophile quality' all down the line, or will it be like HDtracks, who must accept whatever mastering the record companies supply?

That was the *only* interesting aspect of MQA, to me.

19 minutes ago, mitchco said:

Hi John, as an ex 10 year recording/mixing engineer, DSP aficionado, and software engineer by day, I wonder what is the definition of deblurring or temporal deblurring?

I have a premonition that the name 'Milind Kunchur' will be invoked at some point.

I hope JA consults other experts like JJ Johnston, if so.

It is MQA's time-domain behavior, the claimed 'temporal deblurring," that is fundamental to Stuart's explanation.

Indeed, this is fundamental because the compression over typical networks is useless these days. But with that in mind, MQA is 3+ years old and this should have been questioned from the outset -- and it should be them who is made to prove their claim, not the other way around. Paul Miller was, I believe, the first print journalist through his "Hi-Fi News and Record Review" to take a critical look at MQA and all mentions by him so far have questioned the validity of the claim. On the other hand, all the early raves by other journalists attributed what they heard to improved time-domain performance. Don't you think that's putting the cart before the horse? If there is no time-domain improvement, what then? What accounted for the revolutionary improvements they supposedly heard?

Doug

SoundStage!

I am still confused by the "temporal deblurring" feature touted around... My interpretation is that the use of the much softer rolloff upsampling filters results in much milder phase shifts at high frequencies, which means that a harmonic (that would have a bunch of frequencies) has the signal arriving in a narrower time interval than if some of the frequencies were phase shifted (phase shifts in the frequency domain are time offsets in the time domain). Is this what this is all about? And if so would this not be incredibly imperceptible?

@Archimago or @mansr - Can you comment on this? 

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

5 minutes ago, miguelito said:

One more thing: I would love to see a transfer function for MQA vs the original file, if at all possible. I suspect some of the sound differences are, basically, eq. Listening to Keith Jarrett's Koln Concert, I get the distinct impression that the MQA version has been eq'd compared to the original high res I have (24/96 from HDTracks).

I thought some analysis showed around a .5 db increase in volume with MQA, same master.  I think it was in the big MQA thread on the Roon forums.  That would be enough for me to think it was better, my silly brain.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

8 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

I was intending to examine the deblurring.

Were your readers not interested in this two years ago?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

9 hours ago, Priaptor said:

Well hopefully the following is NOT the future. 

One of my favorite recordings of all time is the redbook version of Radka Toneff & Dobroogsz "Fairytales" which just got Stereophile's Recording of the Month "award" (for whatever that is worth) as a new Original Master Edition (MQA).  Whether one likes the redbook recording is up to them; I love it; my concern is the method of remastering chosen for this amazing album.

I guess when it becomes available we can all compare it to the original

Yes Priaptor,

A beautiful album and recording. Just checked and my CD has a DR13 value. Will be very interesting to see if this gets altered by the "Original Master Edition".

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

3 hours ago, Archimago said:

- Does it require impulse response data from all the ADCs, DSP processing used in the whole production chain, for each track that was affected, to work optimally? (ie. maybe it analyzes all the potential group delays and applies a "correction" filter to the track? One obvious issue with this is that in a multitrack recording, this also implies a need to remix.)

This MQA argument only makes sense in most cases where there is a mix of ADCs used or some tracks in the mix are purely digital like synthesizers, etc. 

- If there is no data about the equipment/process in the production chain, what does it do in a "batch" processing scenario? Important since it looks like the majority of the thousands of albums were not remixed and were not specially "authenticated"/supervised by the original artist/audio engineer.

Consider that about 8,000 albums have been encoded in MQA. Imagine there are 10 teams doing this encoding, and they manage to sort out all of the information of each album (ADCs etc) such that they can encode 1 album a day per team. And these teams work 252 days per year - ie every business day each team cranks out an album. This means that it will take 3.1 years for these teams to do these 8,000 albums. Ponder...

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

2 hours ago, Archimago said:

- Does it require impulse response data from all the ADCs, DSP processing used in the whole production chain, for each track that was affected, to work optimally? (ie. maybe it analyzes all the potential group delays and applies a "correction" filter to the track? One obvious issue with this is that in a multitrack recording, this also implies a need to remix.)

If MQA is not talking about phase delay introduced in what I take to be their idealized situational application:

Analogue input > ADC {here phase delay/distortion added} > MQA encoding {here phase delay/distortion removed} > MQA dac {here they are all over the place as to rather MQA dac makes a "deblurring" difference}

What else could they be talking about?  Has Bob Stuart discovered something "new" in signal processing?

Not that JA will add anything fundamental - how can he as he admits he has neither special access or the time/ability to reverse engineer.  The most he can do is to come up with an argument that puts a bit of coherency to MQA marketing materials, but so what?  He won't know if it is true any more than we will.

What am I missing?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

8 minutes ago, mansr said:

That's 95% of all music, minimum.

Exactly. And I meant to say the MQA argument makes no sense.

system pics

3 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Exactly. And I meant to say the MQA argument makes no sense.

On the other hand, they are doing something - we all have heard it (i.e. the volume increase, the digitus or "instrument separation" depending on your take, etc.).  So perhaps it "works" to some extent even in a non-idealized situation of 95% of modern recordings:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/38700-article-mqa-a-review-of-controversies-concerns-and-cautions/?page=24&tab=comments#comment-795567

at least, to some extent.  What that "something" is on the encoding side is the question.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

5 minutes ago, crenca said:

On the other hand, they are doing something - we all have heard it (i.e. the volume increase, the digitus or "instrument separation" depending on your take, etc.).  So perhaps it "works" to some extent even in a non-idealized situation of 95% of modern recordings:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/38700-article-mqa-a-review-of-controversies-concerns-and-cautions/?page=24&tab=comments#comment-795567

at least, to some extent.  What that "something" is on the encoding side is the question.

Perhaps it works is not really an endorsement is it?

system pics