IGNORED

Article: MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

3 hours ago, Pete-FIN said:

Mr. Atkinson, can you please answer this: Is it going to be an article about MQA deblurring, or an article that talks about many things including MQA deblurring?

I was intending to examine the deblurring. Recreating the audio origami on its own without access to MQA's own encoder, to determine the audibility of any artefacts, would mean reinventing the technology and I have neither the talent nor the time for that.

The way I see it, here is the moment when Stereophile can show that they can do proper and unbiased investigative journalism.

Thank you for your comment. But I fail to comprehend what the problem has been so far with our coverage of MQA, other than the fact that some people disagree with our conclusions. Consider the leaky nature of the MQA reconstruction filter, which has been raised as a criticism by Bruno Putzeys and others. We have examined the poor image rejection of this filter at length in the magazine. See, for example,  take a look at figs.10-22 at https://www.stereophile.com/content/aurender-a10-network-music-playerserver-measurements

Jim Austin, who has written the first 3 articles on MQA  for Stereophile, examines the DRM issue with MQA in our May issue and returns to the behavior of the MQA reconstruction filter in our June issue.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

6 minutes ago, Fokus said:

Jim Austin's articles contain factual errors that suggest that he does not quite understand MQA. Or signal theory, when you come to it.

In your opinion, not in mine. Otherwise I wouldn't have published Jim's articles.

6 minutes ago, Fokus said:

I pointed out some of these in the comment sections. I don't think I ever got a decent reply.

Under what name did you post to Stereophile.com? A quick search of the user database didn't find a "Fokus."

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

Well hopefully the following is NOT the future. 

One of my favorite recordings of all time is the redbook version of Radka Toneff & Dobroogsz "Fairytales" which just got Stereophile's Recording of the Month "award" (for whatever that is worth) as a new Original Master Edition (MQA).  Whether one likes the redbook recording is up to them; I love it; my concern is the method of remastering chosen for this amazing album.

I guess when it becomes available we can all compare it to the original

1 hour ago, Doug Schneider said:

the magazine that did go so over the top wasn't yours -- in fact, it's not even discussed her. Charley Hansen -- the most vocal anti-MQAer there was -- wouldn't even discuss them because, in his words, "they are a lost cause."

hehe, I wonder which magazine that would be? x-D

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

On 3/12/2018 at 7:59 PM, Kal Rubinson said:

Tellig ~ Gillet(e). Seemed obvious to me from the get-go.

But why would I even need to suspect he was using a pseudonym in the first place?   I don't recall a warning leaping out at me back in the days when i actually read his nonsense.

(And really, reversing a name *and* removing a letter....that's your idea of 'obvious'?)  

On 3/12/2018 at 9:29 PM, wdw said:

My young and dear hearted sales assistant was ernestly asking me why I was so interested in the product so I began by saying, well you know, Neil Young, but that wasn't working at all...so I regrouped and started in about levels of resolutions...but no further success.  She is taking music something at a local college but they haven't gifted her with any understanding of these very modest technical issues.

She's probably as conversant in the actual substance of them as Neil Young is.   There seems to be no audio flooby that old Neil will not embrace. Even though his hearing is surely shot even beyond the norm for his age.

On 3/13/2018 at 5:38 AM, adamdea said:

The major flaw with Meyer and Moran was that it turned out some of the sacds were upsampled redbook and no one had noticed. IIRC people were just asked to bring their favourite sacds. So not really a great point for hi res proponents, if methodologically a definite flaw in the study.

This is more goalpost-moving. 

Subjects brought their  favorite SACDs (not always the case, btw), that typically were thought to sound better than CD *by virtue of being SACD*.  That was the point.

M&M also pointed out, quite rightly, that different mastering was a plausible reason for actual difference in sound between released CD vs hi-rez versions.   'OMG but you didn't use DDD recordings!" is a red herring.   Up to that point no one was saying you can only appreciate the benefit of SACD (or DVD-A)  if you audition DDD (no analog step) recordings.   No one.  

On 3/13/2018 at 6:00 AM, Fokus said:

Another flaw, IIRC, was that they had people drive for hours (!), to an alien listening room (!), with an alien system (!), judge the sound in a fairly short time, and then drive back (possibly past the pub).

That might have been true for some trials, but it was not true for all.  Did you read the paper?  (And the supplements M&M posted online?)

On 3/13/2018 at 6:00 AM, Fokus said:

I know what my ears are worth after two hours in a car ...

Oh please.  Really.  Is *this* a thing now?  I can't say I've ever seen a research paper in psychoacoustics control for 'amount of time in a car to get to the research facility'. 

And think about all the reports from audio conventions where golden ears  reviewers ooh and ahh over the sound of systems they've never heard before....    

20 hours ago, james45974 said:

IMO, I had not really heard or paid attention to Bob Stuart before MQA, but hearing about the guy over the last few years of the MQA debate doesn't make me want to trust my musical enjoyment to him at all!

Did you ever buy any DVD-As?  Or a BluRay disc with Dolby TruHD? Or a Meridian DAC?   Then you've bought one of his products.  (Those first two feature Meridian's lossless compression method for audio data , MLP) 

6 minutes ago, sullis02 said:

Did you ever buy any DVD-As?  Or a BluRay disc with Dolby TruHD? Or a Meridian DAC?   Then you've bought one of his products.  (Those first two feature Meridian's lossless compression method for audio data , MLP) 

I never got onto the DVD-A train.  I am not a movie or TV person so I don't have any BluRay videos.  I do have game systems so if Bob's technology is included there I guess I may have some.

Jim

3 hours ago, Doug Schneider said:

What helped shake that was Chris's insistence not to pull down the "MQA is Vaporware" thread,

This implies that Chris was asked to pull the thread by a party or parties with sufficient  clout to make this a real prospect.  Is this really the case and if so, by whom? I find it hard to believe, as I can't readily see who that influential  party would be, in terms of potential lost advertising or sponsorship revenue for example.

1 hour ago, sullis02 said:

......back in the days when i actually read his nonsense.

1 hour ago, sullis02 said:

......... seems to be no audio flooby that old Neil will not embrace. Even though his hearing is surely shot even beyond the norm for his age.

Oh boy, another one shows up.  

5 minutes ago, wdw said:

Oh boy, another one shows up.  

I 'showed up' here in 2013.   Don't let the low post number fool you.

Do try to post an actual rebuttal,  though. Seeing someone defend Sam Tellig's and Neil Young's claims here would be at least entertaining (albeit a distraction from the MQA discussion).  

4 minutes ago, sullis02 said:

I 'showed up' here in 2013.   Don't let the low post number fool you.

Do try to post an actual rebuttal,  though. Seeing someone defend Sam Tellig's and Neil Young's claims here would be at least entertaining (albeit a distraction from the MQA discussion).  

Not attempting to defend anyone but I do not need to degrade someone to make my points.  There are a number of N. Young fans on this site although I am not one of them.  I enjoyed Tellig although never took it as anything other than entertainment.

5 minutes ago, Pete-FIN said:

'll tell you what the problem in your coverage has been. You have not investigated MQA's claim of 'recording studio sound'.

In my interviews with Bob Stuart, he has told me that the intention is that the analog signal output by the consumer's D/A converter is identical to that output by the mike preamps (in a purist recording) or the mixing console (in a conventional recording).  That the A/D conversion, transmission, storage and D/A conversion be transparent, other than there being an ultrasonic rolloff equivalent to a signal path of a few feet in air. This has been written about in the magazine.

5 minutes ago, Pete-FIN said:

Now is a good time for Stereophile to prove that they can do investigative journalism.

It is MQA's time-domain behavior, the claimed 'temporal deblurring," that is fundamental to Stuart's explanation. And as I have said before,  that is what I will be investigating in a future article. Up to now, what we have investigated and written about is MQA's  frequency-domain behavior and MQA's societal and commercial aspects. I don't comprehend why you and other posters to CA don't regard that as journalism, investigative or otherwise. Unless you are confusing Stereophile with another magazine?

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

46 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

the intention is that the analog signal output by the consumer's D/A converter is identical to that output by the mike preamps (in a purist recording) or the mixing console (in a conventional recording). 

The mic preamp out is an analog signal as is the DAC output. But, in between, digital conversions are required. True fidelity seems a tall order, especially with a lossy codec. What am I missing? And how can MQA outperform the quad-rate sampling advocated by Charles Hansen?

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables