IGNORED

Article: MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

37 minutes ago, Doug Schneider said:

The problem in this instance is that the audio writers and pros who "fell" for that simple marketing tactic did so without questioning it, when they really should've had the chops to at least question it. They're not general consumers -- they are supposed to be above that.

Exactly why this chapter involving the romance between MQA and the audiophile press is so problematic. It is reflective of the immaturity and the naïveté IMO of many of those running the show as "journalists".

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

1 hour ago, Archimago said:

When personalities become so important, we naturally also see the converse. This is demonstrated by the argument Stereophile (Atkinson) raises about this article being written by someone using a pseudonym.

With respect, yes, this is a core belief of mine, and has been since I worked in a research lab at the end of the 1960s. You have something relevant o say, hang it on the peg of your actual name. Just as I have done all my life - and even Doug Schneider has done! Until then, while I have read your article, and certainly have opinions on what you have written, I shall keep my thoughts to myself.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

7 hours ago, adamdea said:

I agree with all of this, but in the hope that this sad affair has opened a chink of rationality into commercially oriented personality disorder that is audiophilia:-

once one has grasped that MQA is not based on any solid new science, idoes not have solutions to concrete problems,  then  one really ought to ask why it is that one can basically say what one likes about the sound of these files- they sound great, it's a whole new world, -they sound terrible, my ears are bleeding, they have silky highs but at the expense of thematic solidity.... whatever.

The uncomfortable truth is that the industry needs new products more than the ear needs higher resolution. 

a chink of rationality into commercially oriented personality disorder that is audiophilia:-

Nicely stated.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Well, Mr Atkinson, 'Mr. I have worked in a research lab', what is stopping you from repeating the experiments and trying to find out if you get the same findings? 

This is what scientists do! Scientists see if other peoples findings are real. Are you a real scientist, or are you a coward?

It is clear as a day, that only scientific findings are the ones to be debated. If a team of Chinese physicists make a new finding by some practical experiment, then I'm sure other physicists try to make the same finding regardless if they know the actual names of the Chinese scientists.

@John_Atkinsonare you a real scientist, or are you a coward?

11 hours ago, Doug Schneider said:

Plus, he has his archimago.blogspot.com, which lends credibility that he's a real person.

Hi Doug - just my humble opinion, but to be honest it doesn't matter if he's not a real person and his article (and blogs) was written by a computer.

The technical points raised in Archi's article, regardless if it were written by a human or a computer or a centipede, should be treated as technical points. If there's a response / rebuttal, then a response should be to the technical points, not to whoever/whatever wrote the article.

11 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

YES, like Sam Tellig did

You are correct in that Stereophile writer Tom Gillett wrote for the magazine using a pseudonym. This was agreed to in 1984 and was grandfathered in when I took over from J. Gordon Holt 2 years later. While I honored the agreement with Tom, it never sat well with me.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

9 hours ago, crenca said:

So, like Arsene Wenger they are a dead man walking - but like Arsene Wenger they are surrounded by a club culture that reinforces them...

I agree with everything you say, but I have to point out that Arsenal played well yesterday. 

You are not a sound quality measurement device

13 hours ago, Doug Schneider said:

I'm reminded about the "weapons of mass destruction" argument that the Bush government put forward in the early 2000s to justify the incursion into Iraq. At that time, there were many naysayers, but the mainstream media at the time fell in line, didn't question, and for the most part went along with it and fooled the public because of that. Years later, when this was all looked at, it was obvious the media of the time was as complicit as those telling the lies. I feel the same thing happened here -- those who should've known better should've asked more questions at the beginning.

Doug Schneider
SoundStage!

Please tell me you’re not equating a run up to a war to an advertising campaign for a music format. A war in which millions of lives were affected, countries were torn apart and our own military forces lost not only members but squandered billions of dollars in the pursuit of those “weapons” which were never found. 

Shame on you. 

David

2 minutes ago, realhifi said:

Please tell me you’re not equating a run up to a war to an advertising campaign for a music format. A war in which millions of lives were affected, countries were torn apart and our own military forces lost not only members but squandered billions of dollars in the pursuit of those “weapons” which were never found. 

Shame on you. 

It might have been an unfortunate example but it is an example, none the less.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

50 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

You are correct in that Stereophile writer Tom Gillett wrote for the magazine using a pseudonym. This was agreed to in 1984 and was grandfathered in when I took over from J. Gordon Holt 2 years later. While I honored the agreement with Tom, it never sat well with me.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

Difference is that everyone and their brother knew who Sam Tellig really was. Not what I’d call a well kept secret. As far as I know it appears Mr. Archimago’s identity is a mystery. 

David