10 minutes ago, mansr said:

If I power my router with a linear power supply, will Wikipedia articles be more accurate?

The accuracy of Wikipedia articles is governed solely by the verified quality of the input, which would appear to rule out virtually every member that primarily posts in the General area of this forum in respect to Computer Audio.

You don't need to use a Linear supply for a Router to help with the overall SQ of your system.

Try earthing the 0 volts side of it's SMPS plugpack as John Swenson has suggested.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

4 hours ago, m3lraaHnevetS said:

sorry to disturb your peace but in the first article I read:

AS: Since there's no such thing as 1s and 0s in digital transmission, what is being sent over our USB/Firewire/Ethernet cables when we play back music files?

CH: An ANALOG signal!

Steve Silberman: I think this is where things get misconstrued. The signals we think of abstractly as “digital” are in fact high-speed analog square waves, susceptible to all of the same damage and distortions as any other analog signal.

So now what?

A hell of a lot actually. Good ol' Steve, and I've watched his presentations, only knows about how to plug an Ethernet cable in.

Here's what I propose:

Put a router at one end of the house. Run a cable from the listening room to the router. You tell me when the router is on blocks or not.

1 hour ago, One and a half said:

Anything in the chain in front of a DAC has the ability to alter its sound, since even small amounts of noise interfere with the D to A conversion. If a router is in the chain preceding the DAC, then yes it can affect the DAC. The router down the street cannot since the crud from it is lost via the power lines... just as well, mind. Although some RF from un-suppressed inverters can travel for several hundred metres from the source, as evidenced on a commute to the office and having to put up with buzz on AM radio in slow moving traffic. Strange the further away, the noise volume peaks and troughs roughly when there's a cross beam on the power poles.

Anyway, I'm open to anti vibration measures for any signal path component, but first remove the electrical noise, since this evil needs to be tamed. There's always going to be those that dismiss the experience of the OP,  we know who you are, the vocal minority thread crappers, just look outside the bubble for a change. We don't need saving our souls, if you don't like the topic pi$$ off.

amen

Pink Faun Streamer —>  Pink Faun DAC --> Ayre AX5 --> Paradigm S8 

Anything in the chain in front of a DAC has the ability to alter its sound,
 since even small amounts of noise interfere with the D to A conversion.
 If a router is in the chain preceding the DAC, then yes it can affect the DAC.
 ......Anyway, I'm open to anti vibration measures for any signal path component,
but first remove the electrical noise, since this evil needs to be tamed

Back to serious again.

I completely agree with one and a half!

Anti Vibration is the icing on the cake.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

2 hours ago, One and a half said:

Anyway, I'm open to anti vibration measures for any signal path component, but first remove the electrical noise, since this evil needs to be tamed. There's always going to be those that dismiss the experience of the OP,  we know who you are, the vocal minority thread crappers, just look outside the bubble for a change. We don't need saving our souls, if you don't like the topic pi$$ off.

In the OP's specific case, ie, network streaming audio file (ie, yet to be decoded & played) tracks from a NAS on the same network & from TIDAL's online servers, there is no digital audio signal path through the network - so the router cannot be a component in the signal path!

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

44 minutes ago, Cebolla said:

In the OP's specific case, ie, network streaming audio file (ie, yet to be decoded & played) tracks from a NAS on the same network & from TIDAL's online servers, there is no digital audio signal path through the network - so the router cannot be a component in the signal path!

Except if one uses the built-in switch of typical home router. But that is easy to improve by adding a good separate switch on the network. Then the router device never even sees the traffic that doesn't touch internet.

I personally like the switches made by HPE with built-in PSU... I hate wall-warts and other external power dongles.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

9 hours ago, Cebolla said:

the router is a component in the confirmation bias path!

Now please stop using science and engineering to crap on this thread and let it become yet another safe space for the snowflakes to ignore reality and snort their fairy dust

10 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

...the snowflakes to ignore reality and snort their fairy dust

Don't they provide a sub-column for fairy dust content in air quality ratings out there?  :)

This message was sent from my mobile device leeching free wi-fi from Ye Olde Pancake House in a wizard's forest.

Here's the deal guys - There are people who just want to talk about subjective experiences. There are people who just want to talk about objectively verifiable facts. Most people are in the middle. 

Sometimes the groups of people don't mix well in conversations. If people are having a conversation about something and they aren't interested in what you have to say, get over it and leave them alone. You wouldn't pester people at a church or mosque about their beliefs if they asked you to leave, so don't do it online. 

This concept works both ways. Feel free to start discussions about why bits are bits, why routers aren't effected by isolation devices, or your experience with magic pixie dust lowering the noise floor. Those who want a balanced discussion will be happy to engage and read comments from both sides. Those who aren't interested in a balanced discussion can elect to keep the discussion focussed on a specific belief (objective or subjective).

In this specific topic, the OP and others are just interested in people's opinions about router enhancement. If you are onboard with the concept, have fun. If you think this is BS, please start a different topic refuting this concept. This way, both groups of people can read/comment in peace. If the OP is OK with it, the objective guys can even leave a comment about why they don't believe this stuff, then back off. Heck, I'm even cool with a new topic being started and a link to the new topic being left in this topic. For example, "I believe this stuff can't be real based on my education and experience, and I've started a topic with information that refutes this stuff ..."

I'd prefer if someone could start a different thread that was for completely open discussion. That's just my preference, but I don't really care which side of the fence anyone is on, if they want a specific topic to stick to a certain side. 

P.S. My own opinion on this topic is that I don't believe it's possible to change the sound with anything related to a router. I found @plissken comment about sending Tidal some vibration devices to solve the issue for everyone hilarious. I like to have a sense of humor about this great hobby of ours. However, I don't judge anyone for testing this stuff and hearing a difference. It's no skin off my back if someone uses vibration control under a router and hears a sonic benefit. I have respect for everyone here and I respect their opinions.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png