IGNORED

Objective proof the UpTone Regen ISO can improve a DAC's output(*)

41 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

@plissken Take these statements as an example of bias sneaking through. He is supposed to be reporting scientific facts based on measurements. I see a clear bias in these statements.

• Like the original Uptone Regen, this too is stuffed in a tiny, commodity hobby project aluminum box:
  • Other than trying to save money, I can't figure out why a device like this needs to be stuffed into a small enclosure.

Don't forget his post where he stipulated that a larger enclosure may have allowed them to pay more attention to getting the mains noise of the SMPS down. 

• Anyway, as you see there is not much to the device.

There isn't. It's a USB 3.x silicon with some galvanic isolation and a very inexpensive dip switch. 

• There is a red switch that allows isolation to be turned on and off. It is the chintzy switch that feels like it is going to break any minute when you touch it.

I know what switch he's talking about and don't disagree with the assessment of a bottom barrel switch on a $325 device. Looking at my Emotiva DC-1 that has been sold for as little as $429 direct from Emotiva and I heartily agree. 

• As an aside, some of you may know that UpTone cancelled my order of the ISO Regen due not wanting to sell it to me. So I had to resort to a friend of the forum to order it and send it to me. He incurred shipping costs and I will too in sending it back them. Really silly and unprofessional move on their behalf. Note however that none of this has interfered with my judgement of the product.

His measurements are his judgement. I've seen no one find fault with the posted measurements. 

• If someone has seen any measurements that show the output of the DAC to vary with ISO Regen, I love to see it. For now, I have no choice but to declare it ineffective.
  • And Cosby says, "there comes [....] the time where you give the ridiculous a chance. "

He's found one DAC and he's no longer declaring it 'ineffective'. This isn't on Amir, it's on Alex. Yes this part is solely to blame on UpTone. I've asked multiple times for Alex over the past year to name 1 DAC that showed a marked improvement. Yet no answer forthcoming. 

He basically said given his experience and what he as able to bench the regen with that at that point in time 'For Now' he would have to declare it ineffective. It's not a painted into a corner position. 

My suggestion is get a DAC from a manufacturer that actually posts what the output does and how well composed the DAC is. Benchmark does, Emotiva does, you can look at other manufacturers for this also. 

Then, 22 comments into the article and on the seconds page, below the measurements, he says the ISO Regen is actually help full. No mention of this in the main article where most people will read and come to conclusions. If this was your product, would you be OK with this, knowing that people won't even get to the seconds page?

This is a matter of interpretation. If the ISOR helps all these high priced DAC's out then there are a bunch of audiophiles with gear that are steaming piles of junk.

Edit: Many people have suggested that his method is like a scientific paper with peer review. Based on the above, I don't believe so.

Many have suggested if he's in error then others can prove him wrong. I don't know so much about the 'scientific' part. Your bias is clearly showing through on this. You've an axe to grind. 

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Agreed. I would like to remove that comment, but don't want to be seen as removing something of substance when it is brought up etc... I know it sounds strange, but I feel like someone would call me biased for removing it after it was brought up.

Yes it sounds very strange. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

34 minutes ago, plissken said:

Don't forget his post where he stipulated that a larger enclosure may have allowed them to pay more attention to getting the mains noise of the SMPS down. 

There isn't. It's a USB 3.x silicon with some galvanic isolation and a very inexpensive dip switch. 

I know what switch he's talking about and don't disagree with the assessment of a bottom barrel switch on a $325 device. Looking at my Emotiva DC-1 that has been sold for as little as $429 direct from Emotiva and I heartily agree. 

His measurements are his judgement. I've seen no one find fault with the posted measurements. 

He's found one DAC and he's no longer declaring it 'ineffective'. This isn't on Amir, it's on Alex. Yes this part is solely to blame on UpTone. I've asked multiple times for Alex over the past year to name 1 DAC that showed a marked improvement. Yet no answer forthcoming. 

He basically said given his experience and what he as able to bench the regen with that at that point in time 'For Now' he would have to declare it ineffective. It's not a painted into a corner position. 

My suggestion is get a DAC from a manufacturer that actually posts what the output does and how well composed the DAC is. Benchmark does, Emotiva does, you can look at other manufacturers for this also. 

This is a matter of interpretation. If the ISOR helps all these high priced DAC's out then there are a bunch of audiophiles with gear that are steaming piles of junk.

Many have suggested if he's in error then others can prove him wrong. I don't know so much about the 'scientific' part. Your bias is clearly showing through on this. You've an axe to grind. 

If you don't see the word selection as showing a bias, there's not much I can do. We'll just disagree. I write for a living. When I'm looking to describe a product in a balanced way, I don't use anything like those words. If I wanted to quietly disparage a product, I'd sneak in cheap shots. However, that's not me. 

You're still not addressing the fact that when this product helped a DAC that has sold thousands of units, he left it as a second page "footnote." Instead, you call it a bad DAC, not a good Regen, and most people don't see that it may help them. Oh well. 

Read through the comments in this thread. People are suggesting he operates just like a scientific paper / process with peer review. I didn't make that up. I couldn't have in this case.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

55 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You're still not addressing the fact that when this product helped a DAC that has sold thousands of units, he left it as a second page "footnote." Instead, you call it a bad DAC, not a good Regen, and most people don't see that it may help them. Oh well. 

Correct, it's a bad DAC. A good Regen would improve all. That's the premise behind the product. It's supposed to allow the circuitry in DAC's to work less therefore improving the Analog output. 

55 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Read through the comments in this thread. People are suggesting he operates just like a scientific paper / process with peer review. I didn't make that up. I couldn't have in this case.

Then you should acknowledge the people that said it's just measurements and they are open to interpretation and rebuttal. 

52 minutes ago, Superdad said:

NEWS FLASH:

Standard jitter and noise measurements fail to correlate to a LOT of the differences that people hear with digital components.  Amir himself has proven that with tests of a $79 DAC showing those metrics to equal megabuck DACs.  But are you really saying that nobody can hear the musical differences between them?

Why do you refuse to sit for a biased controlled evaluation if you are so convinced of the above? 

I'm saying that with two, well designed, competent, DAC's you can't hear the difference with your ISOR or not. Instead of dropping $655 plus the cost of a DAC, just get a good DAC. 

Would you be willing to hold a blind evaluation event at RMAF or Axpona 2018? 

14 hours ago, esldude said:

So what is the DAC which sounds poor with the Macbook USB?

Several that I own, and others I have borrowed (both low and high price points): PS Audio, SIMaudio, Resonessence Labs, Musical Fidelity, iFi, etc...

But remember the original question was the sound as compared to a good disc player. So it isn't fair to say these DACs sound "poor" (your words not mine) over USB from a Macbook, just as compared to a good disc player the sound is both veiled and noticeably smaller in soundstage, with inferior stereo image focus. It's of course listenable, but I'm interested in besting the disc player. 

Thank you for your input, but I figured out yesterday I was in the wrong thread entirely, and was pointed to a thread with actual end users of the IsoREGEN that can provide first hand experience and comparisons to other set-ups. Thats probably going to be a better barometer for me than the (apparently) infamous Amir's measurements are.

52 minutes ago, plissken said:

Why do you refuse to sit for a biased controlled evaluation if you are so convinced of the above? 

I'm saying that with two, well designed, competent, DAC's you can't hear the difference with your ISOR or not. Instead of dropping $655 plus the cost of a DAC, just get a good DAC. 

I don't consider the Mytek Brooklyn to be a cheap, poorly designed DAC, which is something consistent with what professional reviewers says.  Nevertheless, the ISO REGEN definitely contributes to the enjoyment of my listening experience when the audio delivered through it is preceded by the IR.  Whether there's hard data to support this assertion is irrelevant to me; every single person who hears my audio rig agrees that the IR adds realism to the listening experience.  So unless you assert that the Brooklyn is NOT a competent and well-designed DAC, I just don't understand your point. 

After catching up with this thread, then taking a break from it, I just realized how much time I wasted talking about some of this. I'd rather talk about some of the more enjoyable parts of our hobby, even with the same people that I disagree with in this thread. 

Perhaps this stuff brings out the not-so-fun side in some of us. I'm done with this topic :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

NEWS FLASH:

Standard jitter and noise measurements fail to correlate to a LOT of the differences that people hear with digital components.  Amir himself has proven that with tests of a $79 DAC showing those metrics to equal megabuck DACs.  But are you really saying that nobody can hear the musical differences between them?

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

1 hour ago, plissken said:

Enough of this! I agree Chris

So who here is really interested in advancing the State Of The Art?  Time to be getting beyond all this  "last night as I sat there looking at the new Product X I just bought for $xxxxx dollars, my system sounded so much better"  Talk about BIAS!.

I've proposed this to Amir but how about you Chris  @The Computer Audiophile  get onboard a plan to start setting up some bias controlled blind listening and find out what products really add value and those that may be marginal at best. Next big audio show using some high quality headphones and switching setups, along with a blind,  anonymous (if desired) paper voting system.

This industry needs to have some integrity and respect regained,  lets start backing claims with supportable evidence.

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

John and others are developing tests and equipment that we hope will show and prove what we have been saying--and what thousands of people have been hearing--with regards to upstream jitter and SI affecting DAC performance.  And yes, I mean at the analog output.  (The effects can already be measured on the ground-plane and at the clock inside the DAC.)

Time to put up or shut up Alex, we've all heard this claim from you for quite some time now. "You guys are going to put up repeatable measurements,  and reveal a new magic dust analyzer that will prove your claims of audibility.. "We're waiting for it!

Is this what you want me banned for?  Requesting you come thru with your continued promises?  Or is it you just don't like being held accountable?

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

It wasn't me who said that. What's going on here?

Chris, my understanding is that you directed us to comments Amir has made on his web site. In my reply to you, above, I said that I accept your point - in other words, if Amir has made problematic comments on his site, which indicate he is not operating in good faith, I will check that out. If I am mistaken and you didn't point us to that, my apologies.

As for the character assassination (the claims that Amir has a personality disorder and so on), I did not mean to imply that you said that. If the way my comment was written implied that, it was purely based on unclear writing, not on any bad intention on my part.

Does this help clear things up? 

3 hours ago, Thomas savage said:

if he has commercial motives I'm not the man to employ, if he wanted everything his way I'm not the man to employ. 

3 hours ago, Thomas savage said:

Not because of some commercial master plan

I noticed there is a Dealer (wittily titled) section in the forum, and the one dealer who benefits is Purite Audio. Did he pay money to the site to have his own section? Which other dealers can join? Of course I don't see advertising banners, but ASR can gain by increasing the companies who can sponsor?