IGNORED

Objective proof the UpTone Regen ISO can improve a DAC's output(*)

31 minutes ago, plissken said:

As some may or may not be aware Amir at AudioScienceReview.com has been benching DACs for some Jitter/Distortion base lining.

The worst measuring DAC he has is a Schitt Modi 2 that he applied the Regen ISO against (other DAC's remained unaffected).

5982537b27a00_SchiitModi2.thumb.png.313ba0b7b1d5c0b592436794eeaa660e.png

Looks like it cleans up the dirty 5v supply pretty well.

It does make sense that if such a device does work, the effect would be most demonstrable on a noisy DAC.

What surprised me (to the small extent that anything does anymore) is that, despite all the publicity to the contrary, the Schitt Modi 2 seems to have some serious fundamental design flaw.

57 minutes ago, wgscott said:

It does make sense that if such a device does work, the effect would be most demonstrable on a noisy DAC.

What surprised me (to the small extent that anything does anymore) is that, despite all the publicity to the contrary, the Schitt Modi 2 seems to have some serious fundamental design flaw.

Yes it it does seem that way.  Why is a good question?  The designer would seem capable of making something not so thrown off by the USB connection.  Plenty of others do it without costing much money. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

4 minutes ago, wgscott said:

So they can sell you this:  http://www.schiit.com/products/wyrd

That seems like an odd conclusion given that 

a) Schiit obviously would not agree their product measures poorly (or have an explanation for why it measures poorly with Amir's equipment), and so it follows they then would be unlikely to offer a product to fix a problem they don't believe or want people to believe exists.

b) Schiit claims nothing about actual improvements to sound via the Wyrd, or at least objectively believe it shouldn't be possible. It says so right on the product page. They do advertise that objectively it measures less noisily than a motherboard USB port. 

39 minutes ago, internethandle said:

That seems like an odd conclusion given that 

a) Schiit obviously would not agree their product measures poorly (or have an explanation for why it measures poorly with Amir's equipment), and so it follows they then would be unlikely to offer a product to fix a problem they don't believe or want people to believe exists.

b) Schiit claims nothing about actual improvements to sound via the Wyrd, or at least objectively believe it shouldn't be possible. It says so right on the product page. They do advertise that objectively it measures less noisily than a motherboard USB port. 

c) They don't give a schitt to optimize the USB buss on their DAC's and therefore don't believe what Amir shows with their products and absent other products really matters.

On 8/2/2017 at 8:03 PM, esldude said:

Don't you find it interesting that a $79 ADC/DAC with microphone inputs to boot, does not have this problem connected via USB?  Maybe Schiit should buy one and open it up to see how they managed that.

I not going to blindly believe Amir's results. When someone else duplicates the results, I will start giving them some credence. 

27 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

I am pretty sure my sentence is clear. 

I think it would be in UpTones interest to hire a 3rd party firm with an AP or other like analyzer and send a Modi 2 and ISO Regen and if the results are reproduced post them on their website. 

Not sure if it's cool to call out other manufacturers in this industry.

39 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

Amir's results could show the Modi was the quietist DAC under $100 and I wouldn't trust them....

Why?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Well you could reverse that question and ask why one SHOULD trust Amir. Isn't one of the functions of objectivism espousing the idea that one prove that something is true before asking that it be disproven? I could be totally mistaken, but I haven't seen any credentials from him other than retired tech executive with apparently a lot of cash to burn and (purportedly) an Audio Precision Analyzer. Other than that there's a paucity of information about who he is/might represent, what exact equipment and conditions he tests with/in, etc.

It's also bizarre that we're even having this conversation, given that the conclusion Amir reached with his output-only measurements of the ISO Regen's effect on various DAC's is that ISO Regen provides no additional benefit. That he found one solitary DAC where it had a measurable effect is nice, but I severely doubt Uptone is going to want to market their device as only measurably effective on Schiit Modi 2's, not that they'd necessarily need to (nor would Schiit likely let them). It's equally bizarre to me that a group of audio objectivists have concluded there are problems with products that tend to attract objectivists (if I recall correctly, Amir has also found fault with a Bifrost) due to their low prices/irreverent marketing and poo-pooing of audiophile "voodoo."  I can imagine Schiit objectivist acolytes demanding in turn that Amir and co. prove that such aberrations are even audible.

In terms of Schiit's response/why their DAC might be found to be behaving this way, I can only guess, but if I had to conjecture I'd say it would probably resemble something in Jason Stoddard's "Schiit Happened" chapter where he explicates measurements in general and specifically how Schiit employs them in designing and testing their own product, linked below:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up.701900/page-467#post_11763661

Still, for all my apologism, I do find it a little suspect, and wonder if the problems that Schiit was finding with customers having dropouts etc. with their USB implementations in their various DAC's (which was one of the primary reasons they developed the Wyrd, by their own account) has more to do with their USB receiving designs' vulnerabilities to USB port noise than with the noisy ports themselves. Regardless, with Gen 5 USB/Eitr it seems like they've at least solved that issue for most of their DAC's, but noticeably not for Modi, at least internally to the DAC and not yet.

Yes I suppose that's part of the issue - there's so few out there doing any sort of third-party measuring of audiophile gear that when one person pops up a large (maybe undue) amount of heed is given to their conclusions, which would be helped if there were more out there doing the same to the same equipment. It's going to be pretty hard to find a lot of people with an AP, although the units Jason himself mentions in the Schiit Happened chapter I linked above I suppose could be a starting point.  (edit: QuantAsylum is the manufacturer of said units)

And yes, I've always found Stereophile's measurements section partially so illuminating because they include a manufacturer comment/response.