IGNORED

USB audio cracked... finally!

17 hours ago, fas42 said:

If a vocalist is singing directly at you, live, no PA - and then slowly turns around as she keeps singing, the same song - the frequency spectrum of her voice will change dramatically, as received by your ears, as she does this. Does the "timbre" of her voice change such that her voice now sounds artificial, or wrong?

Good replay will generate the same subjective experience.

Hmmm.  this is a good example of often why a replay system with no visual component may not "get it right" in a sense, when it really is getting it right.

When the example above occurs in a live situation, the visual information, of seeing the singer point in a different direction, alerts the ear/brain mechanism to adjust the perception of timbre, making it seem consistent.  In an audio playback system, with no visual cues to go on, the ear/brain will get confused a bit by the same auditory information, and this may lead to listening difficulty and a loss of timbral accuracy (or perceived timbral accuracy).

Sorry, did not mean to interject really, but it is an interesting example...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I ordered a LUSH, as i have been looking for more USB cables of interest to try.  I know Peter has no love for blurry sound, so I am hopeful for good performance with this cable.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

6 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

It can. But in this case, it's a cable made out of spec to cause certain things to happen in the transceiver of the source computer. At least that is what I think Peter said the last time he said something concrete about where the "magic" happens. Since there are a bunch of different USB transceiver chip sets and variations within implementations using each chip set, I find it hard to believe that a single "Lush" cable spec can affect all the transceivers in exactly the same way so the "magic" happens.

I don't doubt that Peter can build a cable that will do something cool with a particular implementation....I just don't think it can happen in all implementations without tuning. It doesn't make engineering sense. Hell, I remember working on Ethernet cards at Apple and changing anything in the design (trace paths, resistor manufacturers, chip manufacturers, etc.) could wreak havoc on signal behavior. Marginal, but in spec cables, could cause failures as well. We once had to make a card an inch longer to make room for different layout so we could get marginal cables to work consitently.

And I am supposed to believe that one specially massaged USB cable will affect all USB implementations exactly the same way? No sir..... 

On the one hand, I agree with you: the transmitter-cable-receiver is a system, and changing any one element will effect the outcome of the transmission properties, so how could a single cable be idealized for every possible USB implementation?  But, it appears that Peter's design approach is different enough from most USB cables, that it will be (nearly) universally "good" sounding, or at least "different" sounding.

It is also true that different USB receiver circuits in DACs are not usually all that different, generally there is one of two parts, an XMOS or Atmel processor with an onboard receiver.  What does Phase use in their DAC?  If it is Amanero based then it is the Atmel.  Then, maybe the interfaces are different in the trace length and routing to the chip, and the use, or not, of damping resistors on the trace to the chip.

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

I don't know of a physical mechanism that requires music to be played to effect physical relaxations, perhaps voltages might effect connectors -- could try the trick of hooking up headphones to amp output (beware -- don't turn music on!!!) and see if hum decreases -- I honestly don't know what the limits of audibility are just that there are a host of mechanisms wrt electronic settling -- probably should become inaudible after less than a few days but who knows (and I don't lose any sleep over these sorts of things)

I am no physicist, but it does seem to me that bias across dielectrics (cables, wires, and PCBs) could cause them to take a charge which might then effect the signals moving through them, considering that a cable, or a PCB, has capacitances.

An, perhaps interesting, aside; at audio shows, such as RMAF, one can see that many exhibitors leave systems playing, music, or "break in noise" when they shut down.

Oh yeah, the Lush USB cable is "breaking in" here...

SONORE computer audio

12 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Unless we know the engineer's true intention, backed up with measurements and statistics, then we won't know if their product is designed to present the cleanest, true reproduction of the recording or they are shaping the sound to be warm and more analog like or some other signature type.  In the end it doesn't matter if you like how it sounds unless the engineer is misleading you to believe they are cleaning noise and you're getting the true reproduction, when in fact you're getting a DSP modified sound.

I think the above remark represents a "slippery slope" so to speak.  The idea that, "... it doesn't matter" is not actually true in my mind, as here is the problem with this approach:  If one is trying to build a system that is true to the music (recording), then that system should be as neutral (in tonality terms) and as resolving (in terms of musical details and without any artifacts) as possible.  If components are being developed to "shape" sound we are away from being true to the recording, we are actually building a system which leans towards making all recordings sound a certain way.

The problem becomes more apparent when mixing and matching components:  the audiophile ends up in an endless balancing act, mixing "warm/soft" interconnects with cold/hard amplification, and on...  this results in problems every time a new component is brought into the system for evaluation, as the component in question may be neutral and resolving and "perfect" in every way, but in the flawed (shaped) system, this component may seem to not be so perfect...

While we hear much discussion about "musical" systems, and often how systems can be made "musical" by actually softening the sound (SET amplification, etc), in my experience, the very best and most musical systems which I have heard are the ones with the ultimate resolution and the least artifacts, and are not "softened" or "smoothed" to make them more musical.  Ultimately, the system with the most resolution, and the least artifacts, sounds the best, as it relaxes the demands made on the ear brain system and allows for deeper listening (connection with the music).

In regards to LUSH, my question would be: is LUSH accurate, and as such is it increasing resolution and reducing artifacts, such that the listener hears more music and makes a greater connection, or, is it reducing resolution in some sense, performing a "cover up" of musical artifacts?

SONORE computer audio

Alex, glad you brought the conversation back to LUSH.  I may post some listening observations soon, as I have close to week of play on the cable now and it is time for a bit of A/B comparisons, but unlike many here, I am not so sure about this cable with my system...

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Wish I could be there, but will be moving to a new home most likely in November, so time and budget will have to be concentrated there.  Next year....

Cool, BTW Sonore owes you a dinner, perhaps at RMAF 2018.

SONORE computer audio

That could be interpreted as evidence that blind testing is flawed.

SONORE computer audio

19 minutes ago, rickca said:

While that is true, a jitter free signal entering the DAC (chip I think you mean) does not guarantee "perfect" analog sound at the output.  There are many ways that noise from the digital input side of a DAC (component) can couple with the analog signal, and cause audible distortions.

Many of the efforts of good high end manufacturers are focused on reducing noise on the input side, and on reducing radiated RF (internally) which can cause analog distortions.  Are these often low level effects, yes of course, that is exactly what high end sound is about.

Additionally, there is little guarantee that there will be a low (it will never be jitter free, no such thing) level jitter signal at the DAC, and that these same noise sources can and will effect masterclock performance.

Optimizing a DAC for all these problems is not easy.  We must remember that a DAC is a mixed signal system, Digital and Analog, and clock signals themselves are analog signals.

SONORE computer audio

3 minutes ago, CuteStudio said:

Is there another mechanism that can explain any of the claims for the cable within the known laws of physics?

You are completely uniformed.  Additionally, it is not the responsibility of anyone here to educate you.  If I suspected that you even cared to learn, I might try, but it is clear you are only here to listen to your own thoughts, and bask in your superior nature.  Please stop wasting our time and adding noise.

SONORE computer audio

19 minutes ago, GeneZ said:

Could it be?   That with the modem disconnected that Windows shuts down certain background activities that creeps into effecting the sound when the audio source itself is found on the hard drive?

Easily could be...  Reasons like this are part of why many choose to use audiophile sources, in my case, an Ethernet connected Audio renderer, getting all commercial computer gear as far (physically and electrically) from the audio system as is reasonable.  Just an ultra low noise Renderer, made for audio, in the playback system.

SONORE computer audio

6 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

I'm not so sure ASA is the mechanism used to distinguish realism in audio playback. 'good hifi sound' , now a pejorative term, is pretty good at presenting multiple discrete sounds spread in the sound stage. Perhaps it is *too* easy for us to de-scramble making it unrealistic and a cue that it is not real.

Intuitively I think it has more to do with more fundamental qualities of the sound like tone, dynamics and scale.

All I know is when the sound quality is what I consider good my dog and cat also pay attention to the sound. They know when its fake like on the TV and ignore it. Perhaps it just means I have the same taste in music as my dog :-(

I can see it now, dogs at RMAF!  Dogs in every listening test at dealers across the country!  Hahaha.  Classic post.

SONORE computer audio