IGNORED

Why Do People Come To Computer Audiophile To Display Their Contempt For Audiophiles?

17 hours ago, Daudio said:

What else would you have me do ? Shut up and let the antisocial behavior continue to drag this forum down, stifling speech*, and inhibiting traffic ???

I think not, but what say you ?

17 hours ago, rickca said:

I'm so glad someone is here to protect us from the meanies. 

Daudio, a fair question.

rickca, this isn't about protecting anyone, of course.

Daudio, can you point out to me a thread where writing personal comments about someone else stopped the antisocial behavior you're concerned about, rather than having it continue unabated or even worsen?  I agree we'd like a better quality of discussion; I just seriously doubt personal remarks are an effective way to get there.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

4 hours ago, master said:

The goal of every audiophile should be to better enjoy music... or at the very least to enjoy music.

To me anything/anyone that distracts from that goal would an anti-audiophile.

Agreed, but that definition for audiophile may be a bit broad. After all, I'd venture to say that most of the world population enjoys some sort of music, but that doesn't make everyone an audiophile.

I would suggest that an audiophile is one that is interested in all aspects of music reproduction, including the equipment and the recording methods used, to achieve a more realistic playback in order to enhance their enjoyment of music.

This definition includes the 'equipment junkies' and the 'measurement fanatics' and the 'liquid cable cognoscenti', as well as the 'MQA lovers', etc. For this reason, I find it hard to label anyone here as an anti-audiophile simply because they might have a different approach to achieving our common goal. Even if they are being aggressive in attacking the other side (but only as long as these attacks don't transition into personal.)

42 minutes ago, Jud said:

rickca, this isn't about protecting anyone, of course.

My comment was meant to be sarcastic.  I don't need someone to tell me who to dislike.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Withering humor ahead:

I long ago came to terms with the likelihood, aside from being reasonably or unreasonably highly knowledgeable about the technical aspects of this hobby, the majority of people who contribute vast amounts of time to hot button threads like this are fairly well off gentleman of a certain age who get together to yell all the nasty things they could never approach saying to their wives.  Which is fantastic except during a drought.  When fully engaged in, let's be honest here, shitposting most of the rest of the forum operates with almost no interference.  

"I've recently found ___ to be enjoyable through introduction to ___ by ___."

"That's enlightening given this slightly variant attempt to solve that irksome tendecy with said piece of equipment never sounded right to me."  

1 hour ago, Jud said:

I see a couple of potential difficulties with this formulation

Thought you might. Do you now see your thread title is a loaded question fallacy? That you fallaciously presumed "People" as guilty of your charge, then asked why 'they" are here?

Ok, now on to your next charge. :)

If I make the general statement that loosening screws on the chassis of a component to improve "sound" is absurd (a very real belief for some audiophiles) and said audiophile reading the general statement is deeply insulted (aka "collateral damage"), you're saying my act of criticism of the belief is unwarranted and unwanted on this forum?

By the way: When I suggested starting one's own thread, that can work for both people who want to have subjective discussions and those who want to keep things objective.  It's a big, big forum.  There have been various successful long threads where the OP has suggested keeping discussions along certain lines and that's been respected.  On the other hand, there have been threads started by both subjectivists and objectivists where people just could not keep themselves from diving in and spoiling the type of discussion the OP wanted to have.  (There's the recent amp break-in thread I've already mentioned, as well as a couple of @esldude's threads I can think of, the mere existence of which various subjectivists decided to treat as a personal affront.  @wgscott's recent thread can also be fairly seen, I think, as a request to answer an objective question that became hopelessly embroiled in useless argument.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

5 minutes ago, Jud said:

that became hopelessly embroiled in useless argument

That's why I started the following thread

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/32091-pointless-discussion-and-pithy-retorts/#comment-674818

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

2 hours ago, rickca said:

My comment was meant to be sarcastic.  I don't need someone to tell me who to dislike.

My earlier comment about someone protecting us from the meanies, and this quoted post were both directed at @Daudio, not at @Jud.    I agree with @Lebouwsky on Jud's even tempered contributions to CA.

6 minutes ago, jabbr said:

I am curious. I have fun explaining things... perhaps, just perhaps loosening screws affects the transmission of vibration to components. So if we are talking tube amps ... I could see this having an effect.

Now if this is indeed the case, I'd say do a proper vibration isolation, rather than screw around but y'know maybe what folks are hearing is real...

Maybe they have a screw loose and need their equipment to match.

1 minute ago, master said:

Yes, it could certainly be interpreted that way. But let me "attempt" to put things in a different way.

That said I've also met folks who refuse to watch such gems because they are not redone in color, are not high definition, come with black bars even on the sides, are in crappy Standard Definition, ad on DVD, and certainly no high definition version, and all I could find was a bad 240P version of the show... but I still watched it and enjoyed it immensely.

Hi,

Thanks for this response. I really appreciate it. Coming from a songwriting background, I know too well how one can be obsessed with gear and get lost in minutiae of "detail" of the sound to the point where they're not enjoying the music. I've learned the hard way and now will never buy music that I don't like because it was "well recorded." And, I think that many of us know musicians who "listen for content" on crappy stereos and enjoy themselves immensely. I can tell you as recording "co-producer" I felt like I had to be obsessed both with instrument tone & writing and playing content.