IGNORED

ISO REGEN Listening Impressions (kicked off with some measurements)

On 6/24/2017 at 6:32 PM, ted_b said:

Another non-descript (until now) redbook masterpiece is Cat Power's Moon Pix.  We put on "No Sense" and were blown away by the electricity of this minimalist album; again, the feeling that the guitars were plugged directly into MY amps, not hers.  Tonight I sit down and listen to the whole thing for the first time (although really it's my nine hundredth).

Great description. It is amazing how much better redbook content is sounding with each technological step forward. Pretty compelling value proposition given how much 16 bit stuff a lot of us have in our libraries.

Digital: 2010(!) Mac Mini Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz ; L2 Cache: 3 MB; Memory:8 GB > Roon > HQ Player (polysinc, NS9 upsampling PCM to 192 kHz) > Airport Extreme > Blue Jeans USB cable > Sonore MicroRendu (in NAA mode w/ Sonore DC-4 > LPS-1) > Benchmark HGC DAC2 > Naim Nait XS / Naim Flatcap XS > Naim Naic cables > Spendor A5s or Sennheiser HD600s.

On 6/26/2017 at 1:22 PM, ElviaCaprice said:

Received my ISO Regen today.  A quick preparation of cable Canare 4S6 about 6 inches long to run from one of my LPS-1's feeding my Chord 2Qute, series, 12V (waiting on PHynes SR7).   Used the 7V LPS-1.  Ordered the 90 degree adapter, very happy with it's length, allows my ISO Regen to sit about 1 3/4 inches from the 2Qute, perfect for keeping the RCA plugs free and clear, let alone the 90 degrees allows me to rest the ISO Regen on edge . 

Right out of the box, it's a winner.  Added definition in sound, leveled the lows mids highs quite nicely.  Bonus, it helped bring my volume output much higher on my 2Qute amp for driving my new Omega 8XRS speakers.  Have more than enough volume now, near field or mid size room with less than 1 watt.

No clicks here, perfect, I run a full USB stream from my Jetway NUC.  Has put my thoughts of adding any SoTM components, clocks or renderers to rest, not needed.  The ISO Regen is a no brainer for value and quality.

@ElviaCaprice posted this in the UltraCap LPS-1 thread by accident (I assume), but it took me a few days to ask Chris how to move a single post from one topic to another.  

Nice review too.  I am always impressed at how good you guys are at describing what you hear.  I've been at this for a long time.  I can hear everything; and I can write well.  But I suck at writing about what I can hear! B|

Have a great weekend everyone.

Thanks and regards,

--Alex C.

My present chain is server over ethernet to mRendu to USB DAC. I use an LPS-1 to power the mR.

I just ordered an ISORegen.

Obviously, my initial intent is to go mRendu>ISORegen>DAC. With IsoRegen powered by LPS-1.

I'd also be interested if anyone else with a similar setup has simply tried dropping the mRendu (NAA) and going server directly over USB to the IsoRegen (LPS-1 power) to DAC. 

It would be interesting if the IR could do enough cleanup to challenge the sound quality of an NAA based setup. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Yesterday I received my iso regen after a extra week at the customs and €30 extra. I finally could plug it in my audio chain. After only a few hours burn in I can say that the improvement is great!

I did not expect such a big difference, the lps 1 and the Microrendu made a great improvement but the Iso regen is the biggest. The liveliness, resolution and dynamics are great. The often heard digital stress or harshness is gone, not that is was bad in the setup without the iso regen but its really a big step to a better reproduction. Its make the Kii's simply making music like a never heard before. 

Kii Three / Kii Control / Lush 3 Uptone Iso Regen-Farad super 3 / OpticalRendu Farad super 3 / Etherregen / Roon Rock-Farad super 3

3 hours ago, firedog said:

I'd also be interested if anyone else with a similar setup has simply tried dropping the mRendu (NAA) and going server directly over USB to the IsoRegen (LPS-1 power) to DAC. 

Just remember you're comparing John Swenson's latest generation USB design (ISO REGEN) to his previous generation Ethernet/USB design (microRendu).  Obviously, the clock in the ISO REGEN is better than the clock in the current microRendu.  A better comparison will be ISO REGEN vs ultraRendu/microRendu clock upgrade.  However, I agree it's an interesting thing to try.

We may find results differ depending on whether the microRendu is being used in DLNA/MPD mode vs HQPlayer/NAA mode vs Roon RAAT.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

I don’t have the microRendu.  I do use both my MBP through the IR direct to DAC (music stored on a networked hard drive) with Audirvana Plus, and a battery powered NAA (fed by upstairs Linux desktop) through the IR into the DAC with HQPlayer.  In both cases the IR is powered by the LPS-1.

I am very happy with both.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

6 hours ago, firedog said:

My present chain is server over ethernet to mRendu to USB DAC. I use an LPS-1 to power the mR.

I just ordered an ISORegen.

Obviously, my initial intent is to go mRendu>ISORegen>DAC. With IsoRegen powered by LPS-1.

It would be interesting if the IR could do enough cleanup to challenge the sound quality of an NAA based setup. 

I have your set up, just added an ISO Regen, yes it improved clarity to another level, but like Alex said, I can hear it but don't describe it very well. 

rogerdn

7 hours ago, firedog said:

I started with a microRendu/LPS-1 directly attached (bridged NIC) to my Windows 10 machine in DLNA/MPD mode streaming from Qobuz.  I changed this to an ISO REGEN/LPS-1 streaming from Qobuz just using the Qobuz desktop app.  IMO the ISO REGEN/LPS-1 sounds considerably better.

As I mentioned before, some people feel the microRendu sounds better in other modes like HQPlayer/NAA.

I think ISO REGEN vs either clock upgraded microRendu or ultraRendu will be more evenly matched.

I haven't tried the microRendu/ISO REGEN combination.  I need another LPS-1 or a DC Y-cable.  I do have a 9V/2A iPower I could use with the microRendu, but I don't think introducing a SMPS would tell us anything interesting.

John Swenson seems to be especially talented at designing devices that respond well to good power supplies.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

41 minutes ago, rickca said:

I haven't tried the microRendu/ISO REGEN combination.  I need another LPS-1 or a DC Y-cable.  I do have a 9V/2A iPower I could use with the microRendu, but I don't think introducing a SMPS would tell us anything interesting.

My experience suggests that a DC Y cable is not optimal with the microRendu/ISO REGEN combination (see my post on page 15). But of course, every system is different ;-)

Worth a try . . .

I ended up re-purposing an SOtM battery supply I had in my closet for the microRendu and feeding the ISO REGEN with the LPS-1. Much better.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

On 2017-07-01 at 2:42 PM, rickca said:

As I mentioned before, some people feel the microRendu sounds better in other modes like HQPlayer/NAA.

I think ISO REGEN vs either clock upgraded microRendu or ultraRendu will be more evenly matched.

I chose to not add the ISO REGEN to my mR, but to remove the mR of the chain for now. My music is on a Thunderbolt Raid (see signature). Waiting for other members to chime in before I put it back in the chain. I like the simpler chain. My question is - does anyone knows if HQP delivers better HQ "direct" or via NAA? 

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)

On 6/30/2017 at 0:07 PM, Superdad said:

Well we have stated our preference that folks stay in the labeled 6-8V range.  But still, even at 9V (unless you ask it to power a 0.5A DAC/HA) you are covered under our 3-year warranty.  So worry not.  Heat is a fact of linear regulators in small enclosures. Not something to worry about.

The original USB REGEN has the same 5VBUS reg and with close to 4,000 out there I can tell you that normal field failures of that model have never been linked to VBUS reg heat (some hub chips failed and made the other regulator get hot, but that's unrelated.)

Thank you for the thorough explanation Alex. I surely will leave it alone and rely on your 3 year warranty. B|

Even though I have a fairly good end game setup that is void of unnecessary digital filters and utilizes a precision R2R Ladder network, the ISO REGEN still manages to remove further digitalized sound characteristics that I didn't think was really there until this wonderful device was put into the system. Astonishing. That's coming from a guy who rarely uses that word. Definitely sounds better than a borrowed Intona Isolator that I have at hand and surely better than the iFi iUSB I once owned some time ago. I'm going to take some more time with this device until I can draw a conclusive picture. What I can say is that for the first time in my life I am finally "content" with my audio setup thanks to the introduction of the ISO REGEN and the incredible LPS-1 power source. I am now able to sit down and just enjoy the music without thinking about sought after things. :x

?⚡??☕ 

٩(●̮̃•)۶ Carbon (NET)  EtherRegen (NET)  Carbyne (USB)  Terminator-Plus (XLR)  β22 (XLR)  Diana TC (ง'-')ง

=  ︿  = 

With regards to my current setup, which is; mR +LPS-1>Curious USB>Mutec mc 3+USB>Stereolab Master Reference S/PDIF>2Qute.

would the ISO Regen make a big difference to this setup, or would I be better served with the mR 1.4 hw upgrade or indeed the UltraRendu? Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated. Would I have to have another LPS for the ISO, or could I use the MW PSU?

Thank you

3 hours ago, Cool3r King said:

With regards to my current setup, which is; mR +LPS-1>Curious USB>Mutec mc 3+USB>Stereolab Master Reference S/PDIF>2Qute.

would the ISO Regen make a big difference to this setup, or would I be better served with the mR 1.4 hw upgrade or indeed the UltraRendu? Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated. Would I have to have another LPS for the ISO, or could I use the MW PSU?

Thank you

Well it made a noticeable improvement in my chain mR +LPS-1>curious usb>Dave. 

Have to admit it was a bigger improvement than I was expecting ?

customer server+AudiophileOptimizer >>UltraRendu (SR4) >> Lush(JSSG360) >>> IsoRegen(SR4) >>> Lush^2 >>> blu2 >>Blaxius^2D >> Dave > HD800(SDRmod)

This was posted today in the UltraCap LPS-1 thread as this gent bought a ISO REGEN/LPS-1 bundle, yet first spent time with just the LPS-1 (powering his original USB REGEN).  Here is what he had to say after adding the ISO REGEN:

@Jay Tee said:

Well the ISO Regen has been running for a little under 24 hours now, fed by the LPS-1 (powered by the Meanwell) and so far the sound is gorgeous. Very refined.

At this stage I would multiply all I've written about the LPS-1 by two to describe the two together...even lower noise floor, excellent dynamics, even fuller sound with much more of each note's nuances, longer lingering trails on appropriately recorded tracks, articulate and maybe slightly deeper bass. The overall sound is intensely musical. Even after just about 22 hours it's more like if I had a major preamp or power amp upgrade.

I'll wait to see if all gets even better in the next 3 or four days. Even if it doesn't I'm happy (and I haven't yet added the USPCB to replace the short Curious).

My current setup is as follows: PC (WS2012R2, AO2.2b5, Fidelizer Pro7.7, Process Lasso Server9.0, JPLAY mini) -> JCAT FEMTO USB Card -> JCAT USB Isolator (Intona with a different case) -> Uptone REGEN -> SU-1 (REGEN+SU-1 powered by LPS-1 with a Y cable, I2S Connection from SU-1 to DAC) -> PS Audio DS DAC.  

I'm interested in the ISO REGEN and wondering if the new ISO REGEN would be superior to the JCAT USB Isolator+REGEN combination... 

13 hours ago, Takacid said:

My current setup is as follows: PC (WS2012R2, AO2.2b5, Fidelizer Pro7.7, Process Lasso Server9.0, JPLAY mini) -> JCAT FEMTO USB Card -> JCAT USB Isolator (Intona with a different case) -> Uptone REGEN -> SU-1 (REGEN+SU-1 powered by LPS-1 with a Y cable, I2S Connection from SU-1 to DAC) -> PS Audio DS DAC.  

I'm interested in the ISO REGEN and wondering if the new ISO REGEN would be superior to the JCAT USB Isolator+REGEN combination... 

Yes, I had the same setup with Intona/Regen but PPA USB Card, which worked well for my previous Chord Hugo, but when I moved to the Chord 2Qute, it had very little effect.  Now I have the ISO Regen and it definitely helps. 

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

9 hours ago, austinpop said:

Quick question regarding the red GI switch.

ON == GI off

I == GI on?

or vice versa?

The switch shorts the upstream and downstream ground planes. So when it is ON it shorts the planes, which bypasses the galvanic isolation. When it is NOT on, the two ground planes are separate, ie galvanically isolated.

John S.

7 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

The switch shorts the upstream and downstream ground planes. So when it is ON it shorts the planes, which bypasses the galvanic isolation. When it is NOT on, the two ground planes are separate, ie galvanically isolated.

John S.

Makes engineering sense, John.

But you've got to see the humor and confusion when a GI switch set to ON means GI Off!

O.o

6 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Makes engineering sense, John.

But you've got to see the humor and confusion when a GI switch set to ON means GI Off!

O.o

We had no choice in the matter, that was the only switch we could find that would fit. We spent a huge amount of effort looking for a switch for this. The ON is built in to the switch, we couldn't change it.

To counter this we put the letters "ISO" at the switch position where the ISOlation is in effect. We didn't have room to write a paragraph explaining this, we hoped people would understand what ISO meant.

John S.