IGNORED

ISO REGEN Listening Impressions (kicked off with some measurements)

26 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Yes of course!  The majority of ISO REGEN (and USB REGEN) owners feed it directly from their computer, with the REGEN optimally positioned right at the input of their DAC.  

Don't let all these microRendu and other streamer users and their complicated chains distract you.  O.o

And extra USB devices are not needed.  That is the whole point of the ISO REGEN: to unite galvanic isolation with highly optimized signal integrity (we spend a fortune in parts to go on both sides of this 4-layer board) and to put it right into your DAC.

ONE REGEN TO RULE THEM ALL as I say with tongue in cheek. 9_9

Thanks for the info (and the info on the clocks), This is what I've been trying to find out. 

(If there would be an added benefit / increase in sound quality if I was to add a Micro iUSB 3.0 into a "chain" along with an ISO Regen and LPS-1 vs. ISO Regen LPS-1 alone. Also, if there was a benefit to using both within a chain, where would the best place be to put each device within the chain). 

Sorry, if my original question (which was definitely geared towards listening impressions of the ISO Regen), led to a bit of a tangent!!

7 minutes ago, agladstone said:

I honestly did not realize I was doing anything inappropriate and I thought the purpose of this thread was for potential customers of the ISO Regen to learn about the product and hear about current users listening impressions so they would then hopefully purchase one (as I just did as a result), so hopefully others will do the same as I did as a result of what was learned. 

No worries at all!  You are fine.  

This really is all my fault since I failed to start a Usage/Questions/Pre-purchase thread at the same time as this Listening Impressions thread.  I did that when we launched the UltraCap LPS-1 and it worked out well.  

There are no rules here, I'd just like to keep things from wandering off into product design and technical questions.

Oh, and thanks very much for the order!  :D

We promise you are going to love the ISO REGEN / LPS-1 combo.

--Alex C.

45 minutes ago, agladstone said:

Sorry!!!

Considering the sub-forum "owner", Superdad, says you are fine, I wouldn't worry about what anyone else had to say.

I think you are going to love the ISO Regen/LPS-1 combo. I would start out with no Micro iUSB 3.0 in your chain and give yourself some time with the ISO Regen/LPS-1 combo. Let it "burn in" for several days and get comfortable with the sound. Then try adding the Micro iUSB 3.0 before the ISO Regen in the chain and see what that does. Personally, I like to keep the USB chain as simple as possible. But you will have to make the call as to what sounds best in your setup.

14 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

Considering the sub-forum "owner", Superdad, says you are fine, I wouldn't worry about what anyone else had to say.

I think you are going to love the ISO Regen/LPS-1 combo. I would start out with no Micro iUSB 3.0 in your chain and give yourself some time with the ISO Regen/LPS-1 combo. Let it "burn in" for several days and get comfortable with the sound. Then try adding the Micro iUSB 3.0 before the ISO Regen in the chain and see what that does. Personally, I like to keep the USB chain as simple as possible. But you will have to make the call as to what sounds best in your setup.

Thanks for the advice!! I'm actually currently using a W4S RUR and just purchased the ISO Regen and LPS-1 and Micro iUSB 3.0 today. 

Unfortunately the Micro iUSB 3.0 will arrive about a month prior to the IR/LPS-1, but this will give me an opportunity to compare it with the IR/LPS-1 (solo) and then again with adding it into the chain (per your suggestion). 

I have 60 days to return the Micro iUSB (bought from Music Direct), so if the two together add little to no benefit, I can return the Micro iUSB. 

Thanks again!!

18 hours ago, elan120 said:

You should be very happy with Iso Regen and LPS-1 combo.  I ran Micro iUSB before having IR+LPS-1 inserted, and it was very obvious that IR+LPS-1 combo made everything sound much better.

if you remove the micro iusb from the chain, does it retain the same sound?

5 hours ago, PPk said:

if you remove the micro iusb from the chain, does it retain the same sound?

I have been using Micro iUSB for awhile before finally received Iso Regen when it was first became available,  Before having the IR, I have tried other tweaks to help the system with small incremental improvements, but once Iso Regen and LPS-1 combo was inserted, SQ went up a giant step that was quite shocking.  Since then, I have tried different configurations, including removing the Micro iUSB, and clearly, IR+LPS-1 combo is doing the heavy lifting contributing to this new improved SQ.

My Iso Regen arrived a few hours ago, and switched it over from the original amber Regen, powered by LPS-1 (many thanks for the promised rebate @Superdad). A week earlier, I had the LPS-1 powered microRendu swapped back to my old Beaglebone Black-Regen combo (output Roon and Speakers), which took a performance hit, although smaller than I had anticipated.

And YES I love the IsoRegen-LPS-1 combo!! It gave me the same jaw dropping experience I had when I first listened to the Regen, something I never wrote reported ( it would have been the now-often-written "lifts a veil from the music that I didn’t realize was there when listening without this device").

Quick verdict: IsoRegen-LPS-1 (BBB used as Roon endpoint) betters the microRendu-LPS-1 easily. With newer components such that offer higher signal integrity, true galvanic isolation, impedance control, Uptone know what they are doing, and doing it very well.

There's only a few more configurations I'd like to play with:

1. Supply the Iso Regen with just the Meanwell.

2. Switch the USPCB A>B Adaptor to VBUS power OFF.

3. Defeat the Regen isolation by switching the Red switch to the up ("ON").

For those purposes and theories, 1. I imagine the Meanwell alone is a decent option for powering the Iso Regen. It's common for SMPS playing foul on audio, but I reckon the MW PSU deserves more performance credit, i.e. potential Iso Regen customers shouldn't feel too pressured to look for alternative PS to appreciate all the Iso Regen benefits. 2. I have consistently recommended to others here to have VBUS off to minimise noise entering the DAC (if power is not required). Maybe I should let this recommendation go, if 'clean' power negates this benefit. 3. I want to understand more the benefits of the true galvanic isolation, for someone who missed on the Intona benefits.

Big thanks to everyone involved in the making of the Iso Regen, Blind testers included ^_^.

I've gotten to spend a lot more time with the ISO-REGEN this weekend since receiving it on Monday. I've got a little over 40 hours run through it at this point.

Windows 10 laptop >  Curious Cables Regen Link > ISO-REGEN/LPS-1 > Curious Cables Regen Link > IFI Microlink USB-SPDIF.

I simply swapped the original Amber Regen with the ISO-REGEN.

The bass is tighter. Everything has more focus and is cleaner. Next weekend I'll take out the ISO-REGEN and reinstall the Amber Regen and see what's up.

The other thing I did was replace one of the Curious Cables Regen Link's with the new supplied USPCB hard adaptor. This degraded the sound compared to the smooth sounding Regen-Link. However, I only had the USPCB in there for a few songs. Maybe it just needs some time to burn in?

Not sure why but the ISO-REGEN made a significantly better impact with my solid state gear than with my tubes. Either way I'm digging the ISO-REGEN.

5 minutes ago, Ricky B said:

Reading SWL3600's comment on the USBPC i'm bummed.  Stupid me sold my CC 200mm Link without comparing the two.  Any other opinions on the two devices would be appreciated...  Australia here i come

I thought I read others liking the USPCB better.  I know I liked it better than a Mapleshade Clearlink Plus I used for years (and which I preferred to a $275 AQ Coffee).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ordered the ISO Regan without the expensive LPS-1 add on?  If yes, what are your impressions of sonic improvements?

I'm debating between getting an iPurifier 2 (arrives today) and a used W4S RUR vs the ISO Regan without the LPS-1 - which is more money than I care to spend at this time.

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

I'm debating between getting an iPurifier 2 (arrives today) and a used W4S RUR vs the ISO Regan without the LPS-1

That is not a fair comparison since neither the IPurifier, nor the RUR have Galvanic Isolation, and that that difference can be heard.

11 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

has anyone ordered the ISO Regan without the expensive LPS-1 add on?

I think you can easily answer that question, by going back through this thread, I'm sure I've seen people report on that config.

10 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

Out of curiosity, has anyone ordered the ISO Regan without the expensive LPS-1 add on?  If yes, what are your impressions of sonic improvements?

I'm debating between getting an iPurifier 2 (arrives today) and a used W4S RUR vs the ISO Regan without the LPS-1 - which is more money than I care to spend at this time.

Thanks.

Of the devices you listed, the ISO Regen is the only one with galvanic isolation, and that is a great aid in improving sound quality.  The Regen ships with a low cost power supply which can be used with the LPS-1 at a later time if you want to take the next step.  There is no doubt in my mind that the ISO Regen is the best solution on your list.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

1 minute ago, Daudio said:

That is not a fair comparison since neither the IPurifier, nor the RUR have Galvanic Isolation, and that that difference can be heard.

I think you can easily answer that question, by going back through this thread, I'm sure I've seen people report on that config.

Well, its the comparison I have going on in my world at this point.  The iPurifier 2 + W4S RUR vs the ISO Regan sans the LPS-1.  Fair or not, that's where I am.  Was also fishing for feedback from people who have moved to the ISO Regan from the W4S RUR world... 

2 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Of the devices you listed, the ISO Regen is the only one with galvanic isolation, and that is a great aid in improving sound quality.  The Regen ships with a low cost power supply which can be used with the LPS-1 at a later time if you want to take the next step.  There is no doubt in my mind that the ISO Regen is the best solution on your list.

Great, thanks for the help.  I'm new to the USB device world.  I was wondering that if the ISO Regan only sounds good with the LPS-1 - and given $655 is way over budget -  That maybe a $200 solution of the iPurifier 2 + RUR (used) would get me a lot of the way there for much less.  Just a hypothesis, hence the question.

40 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

Well, its the comparison I have going on in my world at this point.  The iPurifier 2 + W4S RUR vs the ISO Regan sans the LPS-1.  Fair or not, that's where I am.  Was also fishing for feedback from people who have moved to the ISO Regan from the W4S RUR world... 

Only about 30-35% of ISO REGEN buyers are getting it with the UltraCap LPS-1.  

Neither the LPS-1 nor the ISO REGEN's galvanic isolation are necessary for the ISO REGEN to best virtually any of the other "regen" devices out there.  Take a close look at the parts and the work we have put into the piece and you will see why.  By most reports the W4S RUR and our original USB REGEN were comparable.  The ISO REGEN is in a different league. 

Sorry, I generally avoid being the one to tout our products--prefer to let the users do so.  But I just wanted to clarify the above points about where the ISO REGEN fits and that the LPS-1 is not required for it to excel (though the LPS-1 does take it to a next level--just as it helps powering other small devices).  :D

48 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

Great, thanks for the help.  I'm new to the USB device world.  I was wondering that if the ISO Regan only sounds good with the LPS-1 - and given $655 is way over budget -  That maybe a $200 solution of the iPurifier 2 + RUR (used) would get me a lot of the way there for much less.  Just a hypothesis, hence the question.

Happy to help.  Your hypothesis makes sense, but the ISO Regen, with the included USPCB, is truly a next generation device, and something you will enjoy.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Got my ISO Regen/LPS-1 bundle this morning from Martin at Vortexbox UK, who said this was from the second batch.

First tried the USPCB between my mRendu and Chord DAVE, replacing the Curious link.  I was immediately impressed with the greater clarity and dynamics.  Next, I inserted the LPS-1 powered ISO Regen between the mRendu and DAVE, connecting the mRendu to IR with the Curious, and the IR to DAVE with the USPCB.  Crackle and pop started within five seconds.  This was just an initial quick listen before I have to go out and I did ring Martin to mention and to learn if there is anything I was doing wrong.  We agreed I would have a longer listen and swap things around when I get back this afternoon and report back to him with more detail, but we both felt it wasn't looking/sounding good.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se