IGNORED

ISO REGEN Listening Impressions (kicked off with some measurements)

3 hours ago, sadekkhalifa said:

I'm curious to know if someone did this before or @Superdad can tell me if i will use multiple ISORegen as the following will enhancing the sonic to next level:

sMS-200Ultra > IR > tXUSBUltra > IR > DAC

Or just the single IR will be fine and no need to additional IR

Don't forget 4 LPS-1's! 

7 hours ago, str-1 said:

Got my ISO Regen/LPS-1 bundle this morning from Martin at Vortexbox UK, who said this was from the second batch.

First tried the USPCB between my mRendu and Chord DAVE, replacing the Curious link.  I was immediately impressed with the greater clarity and dynamics.  Next, I inserted the LPS-1 powered ISO Regen between the mRendu and DAVE, connecting the mRendu to IR with the Curious, and the IR to DAVE with the USPCB.  Crackle and pop started within five seconds.  This was just an initial quick listen before I have to go out and I did ring Martin to mention and to learn if there is anything I was doing wrong.  We agreed I would have a longer listen and swap things around when I get back this afternoon and report back to him with more detail, but we both felt it wasn't looking/sounding good.

Hi @str-1:

Very sorry to hear of the trouble.  I am in contact with Martin and we will get this taken care of right away.  Perhaps there was a mix up and you still got one of the few early units that passed through before our heavy QC analyzer regimen was in place.  Virtually every unit since has been fine.

Please feel free to contact me directly (via our web site contact page).  I may have a question or two for you as well.

Glad to hear you like the USPCB A>B Adapter so well.  Let's get you a proper ISO REGEN quickly!

Thanks and regards,

--Alex C.

On June 19, 2017 at 11:45 AM, Superdad said:

Alright fanboys, please don't jump or dump on @DancingSea.  o.O  

His questions are reasonable, and I think the main thing he was looking for was to be sure that the LPS-1 is not a requirement to enjoy the benefits of the ISO REGEN.

And remember, we do have a 30-day, money-back, satisfaction guarantee.  With no restocking fee.

Thanks,

ALEX

Ah yes, Superdad to the rescue!

One last question before I order - something you're soon to be new "policies" webpage will surely explain - if I place an order now for the mid July delivery period, will my card be charged now by Paypal, or will it be charged when it ships in July?

Also, in your spare time, would be nice to have other payment options besides Paypal.  I've never been a fan of Paypal as they're prone to monkey with bank accounts.  Amazon Pay would be a great option as it ties directly into our Amazon accounts.  PS Audio has that as a payment option, works great.  Can't imagine Amazon fees being worse than Paypal.

For instance, I'd rather just use my debit card to pay Uptone.  But because Paypal has such a bad rep in my world, I'd never use a debit card with them.  But with Amazon, after nearly 20 years of using my debit card with no issues, wouldn't think twice about using Amazon pay with you.

2 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

Ah yes, Superdad to the rescue!

One last question before I order - something you're soon to be new "policies" webpage will surely explain - if I place an order now for the mid July delivery period, will my card be charged now by Paypal, or will it be charged when it ships in July?

Also, in your spare time, would be nice to have other payment options besides Paypal.  I've never been a fan of Paypal as they're prone to monkey with bank accounts.  Amazon Pay would be a great option as it ties directly into our Amazon accounts.  PS Audio has that as a payment option, works great.  Can't imagine Amazon fees being worse than Paypal.

For instance, I'd rather just use my debit card to pay Uptone.  But because Paypal has such a bad rep in my world, I'd never use a debit card with them.  But with Amazon, after nearly 20 years of using my debit card with no issues, wouldn't think twice about using Amazon pay with you.

Hi:
We do charge the order (collect the money) at the time of order.
A couple of years ago we tried the method where our system just authorizes at the time of order and makes the full charge at ship time.  It was a logistical nightmare!  It drove me nuts for nights on end, and the customers did not like the hassle either. You are of course welcome to cancel your order for refund anytime prior to shipment.

Besides PayPal, our site does accept all major credit cards.  And most bank debit cards--at least here in the USA--also function as VISA cards.
As for Amazon Pay, I'll have to look into that.  My web site is on the Shopify e-commerce platform and I am not sure if they support Amazon Pay. 

Regards,
--Alex C.

P.S. Tomorrow (June 21st) we will be done shipping the last of the orders promised for "early-June." Even just a few of those that were promised for "end-of-June" will be included.  Will catch most of the rest by the end of next week, though due to board shortages we won't get everyone.
Please don't e-mail about if your order is shipping yet.  Shipping/tracking notices automatically go out by 2:30 p.m.(Pacific time).  If you don't get a notice it means your order has yet to ship.  I promise we are working hard to get ISO REGENs to everyone!  Thanks for your patience.
11 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Hi:
We do charge the order (collect the money) at the time of order.
A couple of years ago we tried the method where our system just authorizes at the time of order and makes the full charge at ship time.  It was a logistical nightmare!  It drove me nuts for nights on end, and the customers did not like the hassle either. You are of course welcome to cancel your order for refund anytime prior to shipment.

Besides PayPal, our site does accept all major credit cards.  And most bank debit cards--at least here in the USA--also function as VISA cards.
As for Amazon Pay, I'll have to look into that.  My web site is on the Shopify e-commerce platform and I am not sure if they support Amazon Pay. 

Regards,
--Alex C.

P.S. Tomorrow (June 21st) we will be done shipping the last of the orders promised for "early-June." Even just a few of those that were promised for "end-of-June" will be included.  Will catch most of the rest by the end of next week, though due to board shortages we won't get everyone.
Please don't e-mail about if your order is shipping yet.  Shipping/tracking notices automatically go out by 2:30 p.m.(Pacific time).  If you don't get a notice it means your order has yet to ship.  I promise we are working hard to get ISO REGENs to everyone!  Thanks for your patience.

Two more order questions: 

1) On my DAC, the optical input is directly next to, same horizontal plane, as the USB input.  I use the optical for the TV.  If I order the vertical orientation version of the ISO, will it forever more be a vertical oriented ISO?  Or do I understand correctly that its an adapter that creates the vertical orientation that can be removed and then used horizontally?

2)  What are the physical dimensions of the ISO?  Couldn't find it on the website.  I want to make sure that in the vertical orientation, the ISO will clear my rack and or allow me room to put bubble wrap to support the strain on my DAC's USB input as I will plug it directly in to avoid having to buy a second USB cable.  Also want to make sure it clears the optical cable to the side of the Dac's USB input.

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

Or do I understand correctly that its an adapter that creates the vertical orientation that can be removed and then used horizontally?

That's right.  If you order it with a USPCB A>B Adapter with 90-degree rotated (on axis) 'B' plug, then the ISO REGEN will be oriented on edge--giving clearance for cables in neighboring jacks.  Later, you could get the standard-orientation USPCB Adapter for horizontal positioning.

3 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

What are the physical dimensions of the ISO?  Couldn't find it on the website.

57mm x 46mm x 18mm.  Sorry, it is on the USB REGEN page, but I left this off the already wordy ISO REGEN page.

2 hours ago, DancingSea said:

Would you term the ISO as adding warmth, brightness, or is neutral?

I find it to be entirely neutral.  It seems to remove background noise that you don't realize is there until it's gone, with the result that more of the music gets through.

Main System: Mac mini (Audirvana+, MMK, JS-2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1) -> Icron 2201 (Rex LPS-1.2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1.2) -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty -> Headamp GS-X Mk2 -> Classe CT-M600 -> KEF Reference 201/2

4 hours ago, agladstone said:

Does the ISO Regen get hot when being used for a long time? 

I'm also thinking about supporting it to relieve strain on the USB input and I'm thinking that bubble wrap or similar may melt if used vs say something DYI from wood or Aluminum, etc ? 

My iso regen runs slightly warm, nothing to worry about. Someone at one point suggested Legos for support. We've got tons of pieces around so I used some. Works great!

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

my ISO Regen has just been delivered, thank you so much Alex :D

it sits, powered by an LPS-1, between an Auralic Aries in Roon Ready mode and a Chord 2Qute DAC

can't give it a serious listen now but... immediate impression is way more overall "clarity".  particularly impressing in the deepest bass region

great job once more, Alex and John! :)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

1 hour ago, kalinka said:

My iso regen arrived today, but I have bad news: it is one of the defective units, with all the pops and clicks, and even losing communication with the DAC entirely sometimes.

Even mine not being on the first wave, I still got "lucky" enough to have a bad one.

Oh dear!  This should not be!  VERY frustrating as I spent an enormous number of hours QCing ever unit for 5-8 minutes on our protocol analyzer.  I am SO sorry.  And I know that you in particular have really been looking forward to getting the ISO REGEN into your system.  :/

I do have some questions for you, and of course need to know your name, etc., so please seen an e-mail (if you have my address) or contact via our web site contact page.  We will make this right for you in a great hurry.

Thanks,

--Alex C.

On 6/12/2017 at 9:51 PM, Superdad said:

No worries at all.  I always enjoy reading your posts.  Sorry I mistook you for Colin in the UK. 9_9

I know that a lot of microRendu users (and SOtM users) are interested in the ISO REGEN.  And indeed the great clock, the excellent signal integrity from our selected USB 3.1 hub chip, and to some extent even the extra galvanic isolation, all make the ISO REGEN a nice companion piece to those renderers. But the target audience for the ISO REGEN is far wider that just for streamers (what it does for a stock computer can be extraordinary), so I guess I tire of constantly reading posts from many about the order and tradeoffs of the ISO REGEN in Ethernet streamer chains.

Plus, while John Swenson designs for both UpTone and Sonore, we are separate firms (though quite friendly of course).  You might be surprised at how many e-mails I receive asking for details or other information about Sonore products and plans.  (I even have a stock e-mail template used to decline to divulge information or suggesting the usage information questions be directed to Sonore.)

Best,

--Alex C.

Any ISO REGEN feed back from owners of Aurender or Melco players? I would have to think this potentially a pretty big user group too.

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos PhoenixNet Switch>Muon Pro ethernet cable>Muon Pro>Grimm Mu2>AudioQuest Dragon XLR>NAD M23> Falcon 2024 Limited Edition LS35a & REL T7Xi sub. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite SX powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner W/Ground Master City.

On 6/8/2017 at 1:46 PM, thyname said:

Where the heck is @Energy??

I went off the grid and just came back (due to relationship troubles). I've been doing some heavy listening sessions with the ISO REGEN and will post impressions soon. So far all I can say is... :rolleyes:

I am perfectly happy with this end game setup at the moment. Maybe i'll get another LPS-1 for the ISO REGEN just for the sake of it but so far the iFi iPower 9V is holding up well. Might take it apart to put in 2mm thermal pad like what everyone is doing. A good brand like Gelid GP-Extreme 2.0mm would be perfect but at this point I'm not sure how it's put on by UpTone Audio. They said it'll be a tight squeeze but I have yet to see the inside of the unit as to comment.

٩(●̮̃•)۶ Carbon (NET)  EtherRegen (NET)  Carbyne (USB)  Terminator-Plus (XLR)  β22 (XLR)  Diana TC (ง'-')ง

=  ︿  = 

I thought I would update my impressions after having had and not had my IsoRegen for about a month now.  Without getting into too much typical boring audiophile jargon I would say there are two major changes in my system that I hear.

1.  Crispness - I am not sure if this is the right word but instruments, especially guitar and drums that have a significant initial "bite" sound very tight and concise.  Its like listening to music in a well damped room versus one with a lot of reflections.  This gives music a very engaging and lifelike experience.  

2.  Graininess (in a good way) - Perhaps timbre is a better word but again, trying to avoid audiophile jargon... :)  To me, when listening to the human voice or woodwind instruments, there is a certain imperfection that you can hear.  The sound is not completely smooth and perfectly consistent.  There are small deviations in the note being sung or played.  The IsoRegen allows me to hear more of these tiny imperfections that adds to the overall organic sound that I prefer (think tube sound).  

I better stop now because I dont want Alex's head to get too big :):)  Needless to say I am very happy with my IsoRegen.  Next test will be get another LPS-1 to power it.  Right now, I am using 5V from my HDPlex linear power supply.  

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

@tboooe's post gave me the nudge to add more impressions (well, really a summary) myself. 

Bottom line: ISO Regen combined with my modded SU-1 (Belleson reg, caps, etc) each fed by LPS-1's. Is the best digital chain I've ever owned. Full stop. My second rig is using an Mutec 3+, Amber Regen, each powered by custom built PS (dual Reflektor-D's), and it's always delivered solid sonics - but what I'm getting now is... better. 

Don't want to wax on, but this chain - these UpTone products aren't just changing the sound; they're elevating it by what I believe to be some of the best signal integrity out there. Less is more here; I can't imagine it sounding any better, any more analog. But I suspect it will - such is the nature of this hobby.

I'm hearing more, enjoying more, feeling more. Thanks John / Alex - your considerable efforts are bearing fruit.

2 minutes ago, thyname said:

My ISO / LPS-1 combo is arriving today!

Quick question (don't want to bother Alex), and a silly one: Do I use 5v setting on the LPS-1 to power the ISO Regen? Thanks!

5V or 7V will work

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Just now, tboooe said:

5V or 7V will work

Thank you.

I know either one would work as the specs on the ISO are 6-9 volts, and others have confirmed that 5 v would be fine, but I was asking which one is best from users? Sorry if I was not more clear on my question.

BTW, the LPS-1 will power the ISO only. No Y cables and such.

52 minutes ago, thyname said:

My ISO / LPS-1 combo is arriving today!

Quick question (don't want to bother Alex), and a silly one: Do I use 5v setting on the LPS-1 to power the ISO Regen? Thanks!

If your DAC does not draw much if any 5VBUS power (from the USB cable), then the ISO REGEN is fine being fed 5V because all five of its ultra-ultra-low-noise LT3042 voltage regulators are set at 3.3V to power all circuits besides the 5VBUS.

But the 1A TI TPS7A400 regulator we use to provide very clean VBUS output needs to receive more than 5V in order to provide a regulated output.

If fed only 5V, then under light load the ISO REGEN's 5VBUS output will measure about 4.95V and be unregulated.  But when one is powering it with an UltraCap LPS-1, that supply uses the same ultra-low-noise TI regulators at its output, so the ISO REGEN is still passing through a very clean VBUS.

In any case, we recommend you just stay with 7V.  There will be no soinic difference.  Excess voltage in devices with linear regulators just gets turned into heat.

Hope that helps more than confuses. O.o

--Alex C.

9 minutes ago, Superdad said:

If your DAC does not draw much if any 5VBUS power (from the USB cable), then the ISO REGEN is fine being fed 5V because all five of its ultra-ultra-low-noise LT3042 voltage regulators are set at 3.3V to power all circuits besides the 5VBUS.

But the 1A TI TPS7A400 regulator we use to provide very clean VBUS output needs to receive more than 5V in order to provide a regulated output.

If fed only 5V, then under light load the ISO REGEN's 5VBUS output will measure about 4.95V and be unregulated.  But when one is powering it with an UltraCap LPS-1, that supply uses the same ultra-low-noise TI regulators at its output, so the ISO REGEN is still passing through a very clean VBUS.

In any case, we recommend you just stay with 7V.  There will be no soinic difference.  Excess voltage in devices with linear regulators just gets turned into heat.

Hope that helps more than confuses. O.o

--Alex C.

Thanks Alex!

What complicates things is my chain, that is not simply computer to ISO to DAC.

I use a microRendu, then the ISO will be after the microRendu, then the Singxer SU-1, then the DAC.

The Singxer is powered by a separate LPS-1.

It sounds like I should just have the new LPS-1 powering just the ISO at 7 volts, and call it a day?

5 minutes ago, thyname said:

I use a microRendu, then the ISO will be after the microRendu, then the Singxer SU-1, then the DAC.

The Singxer is powered by a separate LPS-1.

I also have an SU-1 and can confirm that setting the LPS-1 at 5V will work. The benefit of 5v is that the isoregen will stay cooler.  My SU-1 is powered by an LPS-1 as well.

Other components: