IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

9 hours ago, adamdea said:

Sure there is a sound point underlying the MQA triangle- there is very little information on any recording which couldn’t be captured with noise shaped 16/96. 

Unfortunately BS is not interested in distributing noise shaped 16/96, which could be packed in 24/96 with the bottom 8 digits frozen and packed in a similar size flac container to MQA. 

It would have the same information content as pretty much any 24/96 file (and  pretty much any 24/192 either).

If you play back the 1st unfold does it not engage the rather lax filtering of MQA?

And yes, I'd prefer 96/16 FLAC. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

2 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Again, per Archimago:

"Objectively with the songs I examined, the software decoder works well to reconstruct what looks like the equivalent 24/96 download."

and

"Bottom line: TIDAL/MQA streaming does sound like the equivalent 24/96 downloads based on what I have heard and the test results"

https://archimago.blogspot.hk/2017/01/comparison-tidal-mqa-music-high.html

It's very easy to confirm yourself too. I used an audio capture app on Mac and Spek analyzer, for the Tidal album Magnificat, and purchased the album in 24/96 and DXD (all come from the DXD master).

Well I don't have Tidal.  My meager internet connection would be near saturated by Tidal streaming at least half of every day.  Part of the other half when I get higher speeds unfortunately is when I (and apparently everyone else in the area) is asleep.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

are you in a rural area and using a TV Dish or something?

Nope to both. 

Just in a weird area which has only pathetic outdated ATT DSL which is allegedly 6 mbps.  It'll hit 5 in the wee hours of the morning.  Earlier today it was nearly 1 mbps.  Nearly.  

I can go 2 miles in any direction and hit areas with good internet speeds.  I'm in the process of getting someone to let me share over some long range wireless gear.  But the area is hilly and wooded and that isn't as easy as you would think.  If the neighbors didn't mind a 90 foot tower in the front yard it would be easy.  Check out this if you could use such a thing.  These are pretty terrific. I've got a couple and they are as good as advertised. 

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-LBE-5AC-GEN2-US-LiteBeam-Wireless-Bridge/dp/B06Y2JH7PV/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1528691205&sr=1-5&keywords=ubiquiti

I can get 20-25 mbps or better over cell service, but the data cost is too high.  

1 hour ago, james45974 said:

Streaming is basically a no-go for me too.  I am stuck with a satellite internet connection here, not great for streaming.

The telcos are all about making things better for the haves than providing anything for the have not's!  I am not in a far out rural area but one mile and 12 potential customers within that mile is not enough for Spectrum (awful company) to extend their cable lines.  I am in a dead cell zone currently and I am hoping that there is some promise for service with 5G on the horizon.

If you can manage more or less line of sight, you could share a line with someone who has good internet.  Those devices I linked to earlier provide a good fast connection up to several miles.  A pair of them would be about $140.  They are not large being 10x14 inches.  

I'm also doubly lucky being in a cell phone near dead zone.  I can sometimes make a call.  Data is usually not possible.  I mounted a WeBoost cell phone booster on the side of the house.  This amplifies and rebroadcasts the signal indoors and amplifies my phone signal to talk back to the cell tower.  This way I get good connections and data speeds inside.  This works if you have a weak signal.  If you have a total lack of signal it won't work.  

This is the particular model I have though they make others.

https://www.amazon.com/weBoost-470101-Signal-Booster-Office/dp/B00RHMFQSA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1528740142&sr=8-3&keywords=weboost+470101

1 hour ago, crenca said:

LOL.  In a way it is about trust - do they have any basic competency in the subject?  Audiphiledom is strange in that it attracts all sorts of experts (and they really are) in other fields that come in and are suddenly "reviewing" electronics and subjects such as MQA

I remember TAS bragging about their reviewing staff when it was still  4 times a year in small format.  They had something like 9 PhDs on the review staff of maybe 12 people.  Of course I don't think any were in science, math or physics.  And one of the other three, AHC, was a national security advisor to the govt.  

This lead to the curious experience during the first Iraq war of seeing your TAS leading reviewer on TV being consulted by the media about how the war was going.  

• 9 months later...
8 hours ago, mansr said:

The name doesn't easily verb, though.

I just say DDG search. 

So we are nearing 500 pages.  MQA is not really vapor ware as much as we wish it were.  It is of course not at all what it was claimed to be.  Ole Bob has outdone himself with the BS on MQA.  Most Questionable Authority, and he had a good rep he threw under the bus.  Bob, poor Bob should have stayed Robert. 

4 minutes ago, Axial said:

It's not the name, it's the presentation to a scientific audio audience.

Over the years I've seen Bob give presentations or interviews where he was very scientific and in others be very much the listening ear audiophile.  He tailored his message for the audience.  So I referred to good ole Bob the audiophile as opposed to Robert the author of AES papers.  So yes sometimes it is the name.  With MQA he has tried doing both at once and it doesn't really work. 

5 hours ago, mansr said:

What would be really funny would be if nobody turned up.

Need some publicity of this somehow.  Tell them audiophile interest was heavily compressed into a format that reduces audiophiles present by 100,000 to 1 using patented technology.  And so they shouldn't be worried about the one person who showed up to tell them that and ask some questions.  The resolution of 100,000 voices was fully bit perfectly conveyed in a lossy manner.  Hopefully with most of the loss coming on the MQA end.  

2 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

Don't forget a lot of MQA on Onkyo is CD quality not hi-res.

Did you fall off the turnip truck yesterday?  MQA guarantees you know the feelings of the drug addled band and producers the moment they laid down the tracks in the studio with the mastering engineer.  It is beyond high res, its master quality dude.  Where have you been?  Even CD quality in MQA is somehow masterful.  It's like 14 ghz sample rates at 512 bit all in the same file space as MP3 or something.  

;)

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Paul R said:

Oh, I think Apple is more than interested in hires music. They have been collecting hi-res music for years now. 

They just want want to do it in a way that puts them ahead of the rest of the pack, and that is a hard thing to do these days. Phono, for example, tanked when the cost factors increased. When and if the come out with hires, it will be something spectacular. Maybe they will buy MQA at fire sale prices and figure out how to do it right. 🤪

How can it be done right?  It was all smoke and mirrors.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2019 at 12:42 PM, Rt66indierock said:

Good article

I think it is a very poor article.  For one thing it is about this privilege is everything bull crap.

Now I don't doubt the results.  Then again this would have seemed so self evident you feel like it was almost foolish to spend the effort studying it.  I suppose it doesn't hurt to confirm the obvious.  But is anyone surprised?   

News at 11, a scientific spectrum analysis of visible light indicates the sky is blue and grass is green as viewed by humans.  

6 minutes ago, Archimago said:

LOL.

Actually, I'd pay good money to see Bob and @mansr have at it! Now that could be one heck of a show :-).

Yeah, +1 to this. 

Never mind.