IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, garrardguy60 said:

As someone who worked in the trade press for many years, and lived through its precipitous decline during the rise of the Internet -- the salient economic epigram on this is that there was a shift from "Print [advertising] dollars to digital pennies" --  my take on Atkinson is that he could have a legacy or a job, but not both. (This of course applies to Harley too and indeed anyone who writes for a living.)

I apologize that this will come across as an argument from authority, which I hate, but it's where I'm coming from so here goes: You have no idea how difficult it is to survive running a content site. Reader revenues are nil, and to get advertisers to pay you have to show clicks. Now, there is a further wrinkle that's emerged over the last decade. Sites like Stereophile (and its sisters) simply cannot generate enough clicks to make money on click-based and remnant advertiser (the pay rates and interest in both having dropped significantly over the last few years). Still, one has to maintain enough clicks for respectability. And it's harder all the time to clear the minimum bar here.

[When I said "you have no idea" I was referring to the general/global "you." "You" as in "Archimago" actually do have an idea about what drives audio reader traffic. (I have been a fan and faithful reader of your site since 2015, so as they say on sports talk radio, I'm a first-time, longtime.) So you've probably seen the swings depending on story; that you have a minimum baseline but that your upside is driven both by the, er, "agitativeness" of the current piece of content and referrer traffic. You've probably also seen that, once you think you've figured it (traffic driving) out, everything changes. (This, btw, is the hallmark of an experienced site editor. It recalls the famous screenwriter William Goldman's line, "Nobody knows anything. . .") ]

Anyway, I'm getting discursive and verbose, but I've pretty much been in Atkinson's situation. Either you get with the program (both the implied program and what your boss says out loud) and stir the pot, or you will be replaced. TL:DR ads qua ads (i.e., based on raw traffic) don't even pay the bills anymore. You have to blow smoke up vendors' butts with tailored content (even though there are never any specific quid pro quos. Everything's understood. You have to make your site ever more friendly -- in tone, presentation and opinions expressed-- to those few who are willing to give you ad dollars, which from their end they only do if they think they will get sales "leads." (There's also image advertising, but we're not talking IBM in the audiophile world; that $2k cable vendor is spending in hopes of customer acquisition.)

HERE, I would actually say that in one sense (not us the reader sense, but the audio press industry sense) John Atkinson is in a comparatively STRONGER position than he was before he was "retired." That's because, his replacement, who I will refer to as the editor in chief of plodding prose ("As I [Who Wants to Be a Serious Essayist] See It"), prickly comment responses, and passive-aggressive "civility" mongering (a friendly but pointed shoutout to fellow AS forum member Dr. Quint). It's my sense that as long as JA2 is EIC, JA1 will have a job in the wings. While as Arch says he has lost credibility over MQA, he still has his measurements credibility, which is the only differentiator Stereophile has. (This is similar to how AnalogPlanet has Mikey's personality as its site persona. Without Mikey, no AnalogPlanet).

Anyway, so I'm not proud to say this but as a realistic, 60-year-old American, if I were in Atkinson's shoes, (and apropos of nothing I am an EE), I can't say I would have done things differently. It's a nice gig if all you have to do to absolve yourself when a piece of equipment is bad to is tack a few sentences onto the end of the measurements write-up that have the opacity of a Federal Reserve pronouncement but yet can still be correctly decoded by EE-knowledgeable "Kremlinologists. 

Love it.

Excellent comment and I certainly appreciate all that you're saying there 😉. It is a tough gig and beyond the interests of consumers, hobbyist audiophiles, there are all those other dimensions of what is implied, unspoken, to keep the publication afloat over the years. Of that I do have great respect, even if personally thankful not to be involved in such a "career" that requires blowing smoke up butts for advertising dollars.

You're right about the importance of targeting the "agitativeness" tone and the power that has in driving clicks online these days. The natives are restless, sometimes even angry, sometimes with good reason. Like the intentional opacity of the Federal Reserve, the "mainstream" message conveys an "air" of reason, a desire to maintain the status quo narrative, a "mask of sanity" yet the tension is not far below the surface; and obvious for all those willing to look. A few "straight" words have the power of a mini-abreaction for those who suspected or even "knew" all along that there's something not quite right. (Audiophilia for me has always been a microcosm of what is happening in society as technologies mature and "systems" aiming to satisfy disparate complex "appetites" in a world of gross inequality.)

Indeed other than the objective stuff, there isn't enough to differentiate Stereophile from others. And that objective association is for sure linked to Atkinson, hence his "power" and ongoing inevitable influence. However, his objective halo is being challenged and I think has eroded in light of his betrayal of objective principles as it relates to mQa, among other examples of "blowing smoke".

Will be interesting in the days ahead what happens when he "finally" retires and is ready to hang up his taped accelerometers and turns off the Audio Precision for the last time. InnerFidelity is for me the best example of how the publication was intrinsically linked to the person at the helm. Talk about a disaster that one turned out after Tyll H! Surely at Stereophile there must be some contingency plan being formed around succession planning for the next Technical Editor. If we can talk about it openly like this, obviously it must be top-of-mind for JA2.

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

On 8/21/2021 at 12:52 PM, Archimago said:

Thanks John for the response. I've certainly seen the other link over the years.

I bet at this point you must be a bit tired about the "birth of a new world" quote (as I said in my original post, the whole "paradigm shift" thing refers to Harley). Alas, this quote from the first sentence of the article does make for quite an impressionable "sound bite". I appreciate that time has passed and it's possible that you've modified your position since then.

So just to be really clear about your stance in 2021 so those of us discussing MQA today do not misrepresent how you currently feel, perhaps you can just respond with YES/NO/MAYBE to these questions... I trust this should not be too difficult and take only a few minutes out of your day. More nuanced responses of course would be appreciated given your experience (especially for "MAYBE" answers).

1. Do you still think in 2021 (seeing that streaming audio has expanded to include lossless Qobuz, Apple, Amazon, upcoming Spotify) that the MQA codec (generally limited to Tidal, with some MQA-CDs out there) is "the future of streaming" that audiophiles should pay special attention to?

2. You mentioned in the article that the 1982 visit to Acoustic Research allowed you to hear DSP correction of "room acoustic problems", right before being blown away by MQA (thus implying some connection). Do you believe MQA has DSP technology that improves room acoustics?

3. After seeing what is known about MQA now, are you still thinking "WTF", and just as impressed by what was revealed to you that day on a technical level?

4. In your "Correcting the Source" section, you said, and quoted Meridian:

Meridian describes this as "taking an original master further, toward the original performance, in an analogous way to the processes expert antique picture restorers use to clean the grime and discolored varnish from an Old Master to reveal the original color and vibrancy of the work."

Do you think that this is true? That the technology has the ability to take a hi-res "original master" and move it towards this concept of an "original performance"?

5. With hindsight then, would you still say that the "launch of Meridian's MQA is as important to the quality of sound recording and playback as digital was 40 years ago"?

As a respected member of the audiophile press, writing for decades, exploring the technical performance of all kinds of devices over your lifetime career, I think many of us would appreciate your candid assessment of MQA in light of what clearly was extremely positive testimony laid out in 2014. As far as I can tell, I don't believe you have since said anything to question those impressions in that article.

Thank you for your consideration to have hopefully an open discussion and clear up any confusion/misconceptions.

Paging @John_Atkinson.

Since you're around here, mind answering a few basic questions on your stance on MQA these days and make sure there are no misunderstandings? Looks like there are a number of longtime readers here...

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

15 minutes ago, mfsoa said:

Hmmm, why wouldn't these magazines insist that their reviewers use the highest quality source possible, which according to them is MQA? Intellectually disingenuous of them to promote MQA yet not push for it's full adoption.

Indeed, as @labjr and yourself have indicated, if we take at face value all that magazines like TAS and Stereophile have claimed in support of mQa, then absolutely, they MUST include some kind of mQa evaluation with each review they do. And if the piece of gear does not natively support mQa, then they MUST at least have Roon or Audirvana do a Core Decode of some mQa track as part of the review process.

That would be the only logical path since mQa is the "new world" and the "new paradigm" for audio sound quality as declared by the leader of those magazines!

Totally messed up. Let's not worry about what's logical or intellectually honest. Just remember:

1231850246_MQA-BetterthanCrownJewels(GOLD).jpg.e967dfbd92a512028fec415bc4fb91e8.jpg

1 hour ago, mfsoa said:

JA, thank you for the reply, and I must compliment you for engaging with this community when we are often somewhat rude and abrasive. My apologies if I have come off this way. You have a thick skin and/or justifiable confidence in your knowledge. Your contribution is truly appreciated. The reason we look to you is BECAUSE you are so well positioned to shed light on this issue, and convey information to a large number of readers. But man, are we frustrated with this MQA deal.

We have to wonder, 7 years after the introduction of MQA, why their claims remain completely unverified.

That in itself is disqualifying for the format and sheds a very poor light on the audiophile press whom we believed were working in the best interests of the audiophile community.

An article on MQAs refusal to allow their technology to be evaluated, would provide such a service to your readers.  You will be lauded for your openness and honesty.

It is clear (in my little mind) that there is a right side of history here and a wrong side. I encourage Stereophile to do the right thing. You have a choice.

No benefit to consumer. Increase consumer cost. What is the audio press' response to this?

Well said @mfsoa.

@John_Atkinson, this is exactly it.

We've known about the MQA filter designs on the playback side for years - as shown here. What we don't know is what the supposed "complementary" side is doing or if this is all there is to the so-called "deblurring" process. Seeing that there are multiple filter variants, why would MQA not just show 1 example of how an ADC/DAC pair "deblurs"? Would that release too many trade secrets?

The fact that they remain secretive is a problem and I believe that the "right side of history" would have the press reporting on this and do its job in enlightening the consumers and audiophiles whom they serve.

That you still don't answer some simple questions above is also disturbing. I guess "birth of a new world" is still how you feel, and not just early enthusiasm?

8 hours ago, labjr said:

Meanwhile, Chinese companies are churning out $100 DACs that measure better than virtually everything ever reviewed by the major publications. But apparently there's no interest in revewing them to see if they sound better. Or maybe they have listened and can't reveal the truth?

Yeah, IMO if you don't care about brand name, luxury and not too worried about service, focusing only on sound quality, then the Chinese DACs even at <$200 will easily satisfy. Don't waste money on the mQa Tax of course. 

Other than features, there's not much to differentiate DAC sound these days anyway. 

4 hours ago, Currawong said:

I had a Chord DAVE here for a month, after which, those "$200 will easily satisfy" DACs, as well as quite a bit more decent ones, sounded like mud. So, maybe not in the low-end of things so much, or even around the $400-700 mark, but after spending some time with considerably better gear, even if I haven't listened to music for a few days, I can still clearly notice I'm not getting the level of reproduction with the cheaper gear. I can't un-hear it now. 

Dunno about this @Currawong. BTW, I did do some blinded, volume controlled listening at a friend's place with the DAVE compared to the Topping D10s a few weeks back (my friend didn't want me to mention his DAC but I'll mention it here ;-). Hard to differentiate and by no means "blown away" given the price differential! Obviously the feature set and build very different so there's quite a bit of stuff to talk about otherwise...

Anyhow, back to the topic at hand... mQa sucks. Doesn't "work", Charley Hansen had all kinds of issues (and there was a mailing list with a number of folks discussing concerns back in the day). And I notice that @John_Atkinson is very shy about answering questions about the "birth of a new world".

3 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

Is that what you use and have always used in the making of your own recordings?

And to take that 1 step further, does @John_Atkinson think the "otherwise inevitable sinc-function ringing on transients" in ADC recordings is a problem that needs to be fixed especially with a hi-res recording!?