IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

4 minutes ago, Ran said:

Because these magazines report on what they are given by the industry. There is no investigative journalism, technical research or perspective.

Er, https://www.stereophile.com/content/mqa-tested-part-2-fold

https://www.stereophile.com/content/more-mqa

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mqa-some-claims-examined

Perhaps you missed these articles?

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

12 minutes ago, Ran said:

Because these magazines report on what they are given by the industry. There is no investigative journalism, technical research or perspective. Because of that, you as the reader has to take things as face value. If you need the education, do the research yourself or use forums like CA. Bear in mind that most of these magazines lack real understanding of digital technologies, computer audio, math and algorithms.  

Exactly.  Also, They are getting "paid" indirectly via ad $$ to hawk it.  It is as plain as the nose on your face.

2 hours ago, botrytis said:

Sorry no. Lossy means you NEVER can get what was removed back. The file will be 17 bit period, you will not have a 192/24. just because they use an up-sampling filter, does not mean if will go back to 192/24 - that is nonsense.

Thank you for telling me in CAPS what I already wrote. Can you not read the word upsampled? That means it is turned into fake 24/192 by filling in/adding bits. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

54 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

With all due respect, why were pieces like this not published 2 years ago or more? I can't think of

a single reason why not except for relentless outside pressure.

1 hour ago, John_Atkinson said:

Thank you for participating here, Mr. Atkinson

Most of that writing strikes me as other than "investigative journalism" (FWIW, I've been a subscriber for nearly 20 years and part-time reader for much longer than that).

MQA was first billed as "as good as hi-res but in a smaller package" so that it could be streamed in a bandwidth-limited world. Now, bandwidth isn't much, if any, limitation and the goalpost is moved to "it sounds BETTER than hi-res". If you and others prefer MQA sonics, great! There's no accounting for taste, lossy or not.

But I haven't noticed much investigative journalism into the compelling reasons MQA is bad for high-end audio (not the least of which is it will make hardware and software more expensive). In particular, I haven't seen you or Jim Austin address the points raised by Linn Audio or Schitt Audio.

Nor have you addressed the reasons you sent your raw files, including impulse response, to MQA rather than simply your master. All I can do is speculate. Charles Hansen offered a compelling explanation for why you and Peter McGrath preferred MQA'd versions of your recordings. This could further explain why other listeners, using widely-released recordings, hear little difference, if any, with many listeners reporting degraded SQ.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

The article quoted: "Stuart mentioned in an e-mail to me that much fewer than 1% of recordings contain musical information above 48kHz—something he knows for a fact, because MQA's encoders collect such information as they do their work."

Then what's the purpose of manufacturing equipment that claims to have a frequency response of 1-100k Hz, i.e. Meridian's 857 Reference Power Amplifier or DSP 8000 speaker with frequency performance of up to 32k Hz . 

If one believes that the human audio range is 20 - 20k Hz and it is pointless to make equipment outside that range. 

This makes me wondering what Bob actually believes and the reason why the whole industry does not confine to making equipment within that range like years ago before the SACD era.

MetalNuts

29 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

I still say that in some way MQA offers high value to listeners who have not invested in hi rez digital libraries, expensive NAS units, and hard drives. If MQA albums are starting with hirez masters and there is some bits thrown out, I am not sure that is a deal killer.

ok, what is that value??

5 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

I ask the anti MQA brigade..why did Tidal, which has 2 million CD quality albums to stream, and the labels, sign contracts with MQA if it has so many supposed negatives? I ask for serious replies.

Tidal, I don't know. Labels are shareholders, so that might be an incentive, I don't know the details of the financials there. And, for them, there's the open question of what capabilities MQA's DRM has.

31 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

I ask the anti MQA brigade..why did Tidal, which has 2 million CD quality albums to stream, and the labels, sign contracts with MQA if it has so many supposed negatives? I ask for serious replies.

argumentum ad verecundiam

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

8 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi @Brinkman Ship, Welcome to CA. Or, should I say welcome back to CA or welcome to CA under a new name?

Based on your posts, your registered email address (mqatruth@<domain>.com), and the fact you're obscuring your physical location pretty well (IP addresses from all over the world, just in the last few hours), I'm quite suspicious of you. It appears you have an agenda and/or something to hide. 

I don't mind anyone hiding his location or using an email address such as yours, but given the volatility of this topic, it seems you are hear for reasons other than to truly discuss MQA with the community.

Please be careful and follow the rules.

Brinkman Ship, I added your name to the chart. Just in case... :)

Put this one in the tin foil hat department, but Brinkman Ship has the same initials as Bob Stuart. They both also have the same initials as... 

MQA "enthusiast"                        Reason for no longer posting on CA

Peter Veth                                                          BANNED

WitchDoctor                                                      BANNED

Lee Scoggins                            DISTRACTED by jumping between forums

Michael Lavorgna                    BANNED for telling someone to go fuck his mother

Brinkman Ship                                                            ?