IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 hour ago, mansr said:

Alias is the correct word for this. Image is not.

+1 on this.

If you use the same word for two different phenomena you are confusing. 

If you use two words for two different phenomena you are communicating. 

While you can have context dependent meanings of one word for different things it is best to avoid that especially with technical matters.  

So while in context of describing DA conversion  using aliasing most may understand you really mean imaging. Things are much nicer to use the correct term.  Eliminates confusion. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

11 minutes ago, beetlemania said:

Awesome! So, at best, MQA is indistinguishable from PCM? And we get to pay more for DACs and content for this?

No, Mr. Scoggins, it's not academic. It's stupid! High end audio is shrinking and now everyone has to pay licensing fees to MQA for the thrill of having a blue light illuminated. Ugh.

But it's even worse than that given that people who hear worse SQ via MQA outnumber those who claim to prefer MQA.

Think about this for a minute.

The original 24/192 file is being folded into a 24/48 file, then unfolded, then played back while streaming with no loss of fidelity to experienced ears compared to the original file.

That seems to indicate the claimed “17 bits” contains all of the music.

The triangular encoding must be robust.

4 minutes ago, Fair Hedon said:

Precisely.

Does this not blow out of the water the utter puke spewed by Atkinson et al, that the MQA'd file is "better" than the master file?

Because subjective preference for the sound is all they have left to cling to...the bandwidth and authentication nonsense have been blown out of the water...

Neither of these last two claims is true.

3 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

The original 24/192 file is being folded into a 24/48 file, then unfolded, then played back while streaming with no loss of fidelity to experienced ears compared to the original file.

Please allow me to rephrase your argument in a way you'll be able to comprehend:

"The 16/44 file is being compressed into a much smaller file at around 320kbps, then uncompressed while streaming with no loss of fidelity to experienced ears. That seems to indicate the claimed "lossy mp3 compression" contains all of the music."

I'm not saying that 320kbps isn't lossy, I'm saying it's indistinguishable from the lossless original.

1 hour ago, Lee Scoggins said:

I honestly don’t know what happened. I dropped off around 9pm last night to watch a movie, then this morning could not find the thread.  I saw some comments from Agitater that people had hurled some personal epithets at me.  I am bummed because they gorts usually just remove the offensive posts and give a public warning.  Now we don’t have access to the articles, etc.

Very common practice.  They disappear threads if they get controversial, if they primarily express opinions the gorts or Hoffman don't agree with or if they win an argument Hoffman is on the other side of.  No warning just disappeared. 

This is a really horrid way to run a forum.  

I was banned there because too many threads I participated in they decided to disappear.  I never violated any of their TOS.  Never was personally insulting or vindictive.  I simply expressed personal opinions at odds with what they wanted promoted.  I provided technical reasons for them (which is when they would decide to disappear threads).  

Someone there would also filter PM's from other members.  If someone started asking or explaining something to you related to a thread they didn't like, suddenly neither of you got PMs thru to each other anymore.  Really pathetic forum. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

5 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

Waat?

First, this is complete nonsense. There are multiple reports from credible listeners of diminished SQ from MQA including loss of resolution.

Second, you didn't address the point of my post: consumers will have to PAY MORE for performance that makes zero difference, at best (and probably worse SQ). WTF should audiophiles care? Tidal is streaming 24/192, right? So why would anyone care that MQA can reduce file size?

Bizarre and destructive to the audio industry.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

7 minutes ago, mansr said:

I'd rather hear a competent amateur player on a well tuned piano than a virtuoso on an ill tuned one.

And what if only the top 5 keys were ill-tuned, the rest perfect?

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

1 hour ago, esldude said:

I was banned there because too many threads I participated in they decided to disappear.  I never violated any of their TOS.  Never was personally insulting or vindictive.  I simply expressed personal opinions at odds with what they wanted promoted.  I provided technical reasons for them (which is when they would decide to disappear threads).  

Someone there would also filter PM's from other members.  If someone started asking or explaining something to you related to a thread they didn't like, suddenly neither of you got PMs thru to each other anymore.  Really pathetic forum.

I don't know about you, but there are many who consider being banned from Hoffman to be a badge of honor.  :)

2 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I don't know about you, but there are many who consider being banned from Hoffman to be a badge of honor.  :)

+1.

Guffman is an ego driven forum, and a venue for Hoofman to shill. He claims he is getting in gear for "review", which he keeps and never returns, and the "review" never appears any where.

39 minutes ago, Andyman said:

Now you're being silly...!

What, I've gotten away with it until now? Great! ;-)

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro