IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

20 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Umm- if you are talking about MQA taking over the world, then I think this thread certainly must include them. Also, I do not think that J Lo or Kayne, or The Rolling Stones or Coldplay or Maroon 5, or whomever, care one bit whether you buy their music in hi-res, CD, or in MQA.  Just so long as you buy it.

I think we're on the same page.  "the world" in "taking over the world" does not include independent, unsigned artists.  When MQA comes to Bandcamp, let me know.  🙂

2 minutes ago, Paul R said:

What am I doing, saying, or not doing that is causing confusion? Let me try this way, and if you disagree, please explain why a little more. Concrete between the ears today, apparently. 

• MQA wants to be universal.
  • They will never convince the local musicians to join MQA unless there is a strong financial incentive to do so. 
  • They number in the thousands, and have billions of dollars of impact on the local community. 
  • How is MQA ever going to "take over" the world with those kinds of people out there?   

That's just one group. You have audiophiles on a different hand, and while we represent a much smaller market segment and economic impact, we certainly do carry some clout. People targeting the audiophile market will build equipment that does not contain MQA is audiophiles will buy it.  The same is actually true in the pro market.

I'm not totally sure, but I think "take over the world" was your characterization.  Unsigned and indie artists aren't relevant.  During SACDs heyday, how many unsigned artists do you think were releasing on SACD?  And I seriously doubt anyone was pinning their hopes on unsigned artists to transform SACD into a market juggernaut. 

For me, MQA is about what's happening with the major labels back catalogs.  I really could care less about contemporary artists.

Just now, Paul R said:

I can see that.

On the other hand, everyone has some of the back catalog, at least on CD resolution. Those files are not going to stop working even if MQA takes over all music distribution in the world.  If it becomes available for sale only in MQA, who is going to buy it? And Why?  

If they drop the price and release a lot of the unreleased music, assuming they can find the tapes of course, then- maybe...

Tapes?  If they were mastered before around 1985, maybe.  HDTracks has many titles where the 80s and 90s era 16/44 masters are captured to analog tape (for preservation and future readability) then that tape is in turn captured digitally again at a higher sample rate.  Those output files, even in "naked" PCM format are not worth the disc space that they consume.  And lots of those files have been made into MQA.  "Master Quality" is a lie.

1 minute ago, daverich4 said:

I realize this is off-topic but you frequently use the term “astroturfer”. Can you tell me who or what that means? I’d like to get on the same page but this is the only place I’ve ever run across that. 

Astroturfing

Astroturfing is the practice of masking the sponsors of a message or organization (e.g., political, advertising, religious or public relations) to make it appear as though it originates from and is supported by grassroots participants. It is a practice intended to give the statements or organizations credibility by withholding information about the source's financial connection. The term astroturfing is derived from AstroTurf, a brand of synthetic carpeting designed to resemble natural grass, as a play on the word "grassroots". The implication behind the use of the term is that instead of a "true" or "natural" grassroots effort behind the activity in question, there is a "fake" or "artificial" appearance of support.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Tintinabulum said:

And out of curiosity, what is the aim of this counterargument? To convince others? The hostile attitude won't do that. To change the business model of MQA?

What you're calling "hostile attitude" has indeed changed some minds about MQA.  Just look at the open hostility by the MQA executives at Chris' RMAF presentation last year.  Fighting fire with fire?

11 minutes ago, Tintinabulum said:

Maybe a less hostile attitude could have changed more and avoided polarisation

My grandmother used to say, "you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar".  But Grandma never saw how insidious both the technology and the marketing of MQA are.  And those who suggest that Grandma's method should be used with MQA never, ever acknowledge the hostility (in the form of disingenuous and misleading claims) of MQA.