IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 hour ago, Archimago said:

Alas, you're kinda new around here. There have been listening tests and write-ups and other testimonies as well as blinded work for awhile now since Tidal made MQA available in 2017. 

Since you don't know what a proper test is you aren't qualified to comment on it nor demand one, much less any documentation. Hint: it's already been documented here, and elsewhere, a fact you'll surely disregard in your next troll post.

Instead of getting defensive why doesn't someone post a simple link to the so called "logic analyzer applied to the internals of a DAC" test that was initially referred to by JUD?

Been through the thread here and found nothing that looks like a proper test.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30572-mqa-technical-analysis/

And yes, with a degree in electronics and years of experience in the electronics industry (though not in audio) I think I should know what a proper "analyzer test" should look like. 

9 minutes ago, Jud said:

The proper test, which was indeed documented (long before you graced the thread) showed the exact parameters of each of the 17 MQA filters by applying a logic probe to the DAC internals to see precisely what instructions were being sent with regard to that filtering. These filters matched the descriptions in the MQA patent. They showed, just as the patent itself describes, that the filters avoid ringing (technically, the Gibbs effect) by being quite short and not cutting much.

You see, in filter mathematics cutting ultrasonics more steeply and avoiding ringing are opposites. (Technically they are conjugate variables in Fourier analysis.) So if you avoid "time smearing" (ringing or Gibbs effect) with these types of short filters, you cannot cut ultrasonics much, just as surely as 2+2=4. Thus when you're asking to "do a proper test," you're asking someone to actually show you that 2+2=4.

As I said, the test has already been done, but even if it hadn't, the fact that you think a test is needed to prove 2+2=4 shows you don't understand what's being discussed here.

Now you're certainly free to demonstrate further your lack of understanding. But perhaps you'd first consider pausing for reflection and even a bit of reading and learning about how filters work, and how the MQA filters work specifically?

"The proper test" - "logic analyzer applied to the internals of a DAC"

OK great! - so where is it then? 

3 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I think you quoted the wrong person.

Mea culpa. My sincere apologies. Dunno how I screwed up. Of course the quote belongs to John Atkinson.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

16 minutes ago, Archimago said:

I don't see how my comment was defensive, rather it's an observation that in all these weeks, you have offered nothing to show that your beliefs are to be taken seriously - or that you were even able to produce an honest test done right with your YouTube video!

Perhaps you can show us that you have some capacity to offer reasonable evidence first. Perhaps some sign that among those who have strong beliefs that MQA offers better quality (such as yourself) also can "perform a test do a proper one and document it" (sic) as you suggest.

You are the people who have been condemning it - you should back up your claims!

Some sketchy spectrum graphs with no information even about the equipment used to obtain it + Golden Sounds heavily flawed "test" are not any kind of professionally conducted testing.

I am not an audio engineer nor involved in audio electronics - but the way Lenbrook are talking in the press release I have no doubt that they are going to put to rest some of these false claims.

On 9/21/2023 at 6:41 AM, John_Atkinson said:

I did not say MQA is "not lossy." What I wrote was that "While it is true that the bits in an MQA-encoded file are not the same as those in the original hi-rez file, this does not necessarily mean that the format is 'lossy' in the manner that MP3, AAC, etc are lossy." You omitted the final 9 words in that sentence, thus misrepresenting my statement.

This is partly in defence of JA but more importantly also in defence of "semantics".

A definition of semantics: "The study or science of meaning in language." This is obviously important if we want to understand each other and is definitely not a pejorative term. Hence "only semantics" is decrying science.:( Let's not go there. If we are going to use science to understand MQA processes, then using science to understand language is vital.

That means that John's statement above about the importance of the "does not necessarily mean" and the "final 9 words" are  absolutely critical in understanding what he said. Taking quotes out of context is not scientific and easily clouds or destroys meaning.

p.s. Whether at other times he said things with which we (I) wish to disagree is not addressed here.