IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Those who talked about it as the greatest thing ever, will create a market for old mQa products and pirated recordings and endlessly talk about how great it was during the salad days of mQa. 

That would be hilarious if it's the case!

Would be equivalent to nostalgic HDCD audiophiles swapping encoded content and selling HDCD-decoding CD-players! Is there such a subgroup out there!?

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

21 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Those who talked about it as the greatest thing ever, will create a market for old mQa products and pirated recordings and endlessly talk about how great it was during the salad days of mQa. 

Wonderful irony if MQA files become pirated.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

21 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Dusty Topping DACs stacked on top of even dustier Betamax and Laser disc players. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

20 hours ago, Archimago said:

Would be equivalent to nostalgic HDCD audiophiles swapping encoded content and selling HDCD-decoding CD-players!

I don't think MQA is in any way equivalent to HDCD.

Yes, HDCD itself became obsolete pretty soon after it was released, but there is a genuine reason for pursuing HDCD-encoded content, even today - the Pacific Microsonics Model One and Two.

There is no reason whatsoever to pursue any MQA-encoded content.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

@firedog Yep, hubris will always get you in the end. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

On 9/2/2023 at 4:15 PM, Archimago said:

That would be hilarious if it's the case!

Would be equivalent to nostalgic HDCD audiophiles swapping encoded content and selling HDCD-decoding CD-players! Is there such a subgroup out there!?

Arch,

A rational audiophile would download a Foobar2000 HDCD plugin and enjoy some of the Beach Boys and Grateful Dead files in the format.

Stephen

8 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

Or those old Reference Recordings!

Their 24/176.4 files (so-called HRx), some dating back to 1996, are also superb-sounding. Recorded onto tape and then transferred to digital using a PM ADC. Available on Qobuz.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

On 9/4/2023 at 11:16 AM, firedog said:

MQA's problem was that they thought they had to sell themselves as something revolutionary and better than anything else to succeed. So they made claims about their product that weren't true: 

1. Lossless

2. Authenticated and all they said that meant - basically all a lie

3. Individual filters made for each DAC and ADC

4. Clearly sounds better than any other version

If they had said from the get go: "We have this really clever compression system. It results in only a small amount of lossiness - in frequencies with little musical information. It's for hi-res streaming: it saves a bit of bandwidth and is "perceptually lossless" - some people may even prefer it to the original on some recordings. Try it, you might like it."

Then  everyone would have accepted it and welcomed it as a reasonable alternative. 

That's how I recall it as well, but I seem to remember a singular focus on compression, and how that would allow people to download/stream music on networks that didn't support high resolution at the time. 

It was shortly after that that they did, and MQA seemed to be a solution to a problem that no longer existed.  I do understand that not everybody has a high speed connection, but enough of us now do that I don't think any potential service is much concerned anymore.  

I remember a friend building a new home in 2001-ish and paying an extra $3K to have internet cable dropped to a jack in every room of the home.  It was a few months after that you could buy a wireless router for a few hundred dollars, 

I bought a home in 2018 that was built in 1963.  Doing renovations I've pulled out huge amounts of coax and phone cable.  It's all obsolete and serves no purpose.  

All we need now is that wireless electricity, and we're all set.  

@StephenJK Funny, we just bought a house built in 1987 that has literally hundreds of feet of cheap speaker cable run everywhere, inside and outside. Slowly but surely losing it all. 

12 hours ago, Jud said:

Even for people who have that concern, plain old FLAC and ALAC compress as well or better and are lossless. The only reason for the lossy compression was to try to preserve their intellectual property, i.e., keep everyone from being able to "decode" MQA.

As you already know, my crusade is dependent on undoing an already existant 'IP protection' scheme.   As of now, the corrective result is pretty close (very close) match between a 'pure' ABBA Arrival recording and a 'commodity' version with the processing.   Is it ready yet?   well, it audibly sounds very close, but with minor differences inclduing about +0.5dB >9kHz.

IMO (and I am being careful to avoid 'pushing' my position), we have been bamboozled on digitial media since the early 1980s.

Here is a contemporaneous article....   You wouldn't believe how difficult the mess is to decode though....

Some of you have seen the frustration and difficulty -- specs are just not available...

https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Business/Music/Billboard-Index/IDX/1983/1983-08-13-Billboard-Page-0010.pdf#search="cd mastering"

Later on today, I'll put up an A/B demo in the FA decoder subject.   The big difference is the 'decoded' version appears to have not been compressed, while the NEVERFA appears to have had some compression/mastering, but the tonality is nearly identical.    I'll also put up some simple, obvious demos.

Practically all of the tests, many are favorites, pass pretty well.   Been working on fine details for the last week.

John

14 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

@StephenJK Funny, we just bought a house built in 1987 that has literally hundreds of feet of cheap speaker cable run everywhere, inside and outside. Slowly but surely losing it all. 

Why not connect it all to something, and go fully immersive? It is quite the thing these days. 😀

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.