IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Has anyone compared using the USB 3 ports direct to the NUC board vs the optional USB 2 ports?  Or has anyone compared USB v2 to v3 in general?

Signal integrity (seen on eye-pattern) is generally a bit better from USB 3.1 chips--even when just doing USB 2.0 480Mbps high-speed--as the internals of those more modern chips have to be very carefully designed so they can achieve USB3 SuperSpeed.  But they do vary, and the SuperSpeed power circuitry can generate a bit of excess noise and current bounce on the ground-plane.  Do NUC BIOS adjustments offer the ability to turn off USB3 SuperSpeed?  That would be a good thing.

17 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I have high hopes for the EtherRegen. It would be great if it simplified network topology and improved SQ.

You're not the only one with high hopes my friend! :D  It darn well better do both 'cause between development and first production run close to 6 figures in $$ will have gone into the launch...:ph34r:

33 minutes ago, andervt said:

The owner of the LPS power I tested is dissapointed with the result since he bought the power based on this thread.

Uh oh.

If you are referring to Geir T.'s purchase of an UltraCap LPS-1 and LPS-1.2, the facts do not at all agree with your above assertion!

Geir's original LPS-1 was delivered to him on November 15th, 2016.  This giant thread was not started until January 1, 2017.

Geir ordered the new generation UltraCap LPS-1.2 on February 20th, 2018.  He was among the first 150 purchasers of the new model (excluding the 100 people who ordered LPS-1s at the end of 2017 and received the very first LPS-1.2s at no additional charge).

Only a couple of passing mentions of the LPS-1.2 were made in this thread at the beginning of 2018. It would be a stretch to say those influenced him. And certainly no discussion of NUCs with our supplies were ever made back then as there was pretty much no discussion of NUCs in this thread at that time.

o.O

1 hour ago, PeterSt said:

Here, came in during typing of this:

silanna03.thumb.png.62426cc816f271d17911890be017b1fc.png

As if the devil plays with it (as we say it over here). Not even opened yet (but knowing the contents). Possibly you won't understand. Quite a few others will. @Superdad most certainly will.

Hi Peter:

I received the same e-mail tonight but I knew it was coming 6 months ago when Gil B. left the company and we had a long talk.  It's really quite okay as we have good supply, and if ever we run low we can call up the very nice Mr.Xuanqian Wang at Auralic.  They bought 10K pieces and e-mailed me with an offer for some about 18 months ago.  Of course we could move beyond into a more intelligent direction...  B|

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, austinpop said:

What surprised me was that when used for DC cables, silver cables did not affect treble energy. Rather, I got a more expansive image, deeper bass, and better overall clarity. It's almost like a small PSU upgrade. 

Would not want to generalize about such unless the cables you were comparing were otherwise identical.  I doubt they had the same topology, dielectrics, wire gauge, and stranding.  All of those are likely to have larger impact than metallurgy.

I've been involved in analog cable development since the 1970s--and we went through a great number of variations, including a lot of single-variable blind testing. For analog interconnects and speaker cables I happen to prefer fine-strand, silver-plated copper with Teflon insulation in star-quad configuration.  Here is the brochure sheet of the cables we developed at Hovland over 20 years.  The MusicGroove2 became a famous tonearm-to-preamp cable--used as a reference by Michael Fremer for many years--and we sold the design for it to Bob Graham for $10K when we closed down.

HovlandCables.jpg.2a72a55d32dc7e8f59d9201c2c2d29e4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Johnseye said:

The USB clocks aren't subclocks afaik. 

And remember gents: The actual clock rates in the chips (USB, Ethernet, the processor, etc.) are mostly generated by PLLs internal to them—with not a huge regard for jitter.  They are at rates vastly higher than what the XOs you are supplanting run at.  

22 minutes ago, EnjoyTheMusicNow said:

This does beg a question. Has anyone asked SOtM to mod their SMS200 with an SFP port in place of the RJ45 connector?

Trust me, that’s not a “mod.”  That would require a whole redesign of the circuitry on the board and addition of some chips.  No way could that ever be done as a mod. (I witnessed nearly every step of John’s redesign of the ultraRendu to produce the opticalRendu—it was not trivial! 9_9)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bobfa said:

Put 20 hours into just listening to music.

Words for all of us to live by--EVERY week!  :)

Sadly, because my desk is in my studio, and because playing my system draws me in and I would not get work done, I don't play it during the day. And by the time the evening comes around I am anxious to get out of my chair and away from the office. o.O

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@scan80269: Hi Sam. Great to see you back!  Seems likes it’s been a year.  You must be busy at work.

I’m still using and enjoying the Singxer SU-1 you extensively modded for me.  Tried taking it out of my system last week—running my NUC (finely built by @lmitche)>ISO REGEN directly into my Holo Spring L3.  Took about 30 seconds to hear how complying flat and unengaging the DAC is without it.  So back to the I2S input via the SU-1.  Makes me think about experimenting with other HDMI cables (using a 12-inch Wireworld now—whatever model the yellow one is).

Do call or drop me a line some time and we can catch up. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

These posts genuinely beg for a "reference LPSU that can be delivered within a reasonable timeframe" thread.

Well we build and deliver about 25 JS-2s each month.  Choke-filtered, dual-rail, user-adjustable output voltages, true 7.4 amp continuous (@12V). Even ranked by @austinpop as performing above SR4 on a actual audio component:

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/contributors/my-quest-for-a-new-dac-part-1-the-mytek-brooklyn-dac-with-uptone-js-2-power-supply-r716/

“What impact did an external PSU make on the sound quality of the Brooklyn+?

I had on hand 3 external PSUs that could power the Brooklyn+ adequately at 12V DC. After trying them all, along with the built in SMPS (switching mode power supply), here is my ranking, in terms of decreasing sound quality:
  1. Uptone Audio JS-2
  2. Paul Hynes SR-4
  3. SOtM sPS-500
  4. built-in SMPS
I had done a similar comparison of PSUs powering the SOtM tX-USBultra, and found the SR-4 delivered the best sound quality. While the SR-4 had really shone on the tX-USBultra, on the Brooklyn DAC+, it was the JS-2 that pulled ahead, and by quite a margin. Compared to the JS-2, the SR-4 (and the sPS-500) seemed to lack dynamism, and sounded polite and unexciting.”

And I never request payment earlier than one week from a guaranteed shipment date.  

By the way, I’d put the nice (and completely silent) R-core trans we use up against any toroidal any day. The difference is obvious right away.  

But sorry, despite many requests, we have no plans to produce a big multi-rail ATX supply or to offer custom build services.  
25 minutes ago, Nenon said:

One of the differences was that while his transformer was oversized, it was still much smaller than the toroidal I used. 

Of course.  I was just referring to an apples-to-apples comparison of similar VA-rated toroid versus R-core—swapped into the same supply. I did just that during development of the JS-2 and it was not even close.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...