IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

14 minutes ago, sunny_time_99 said:

Hello Austinpop,

ok, then pls delete my postings from today, i am going to open an thread for this Topic.

regards

Sunny

No deletion necessary. Just post a link here to the new thread for people to follow.

If/when anyone has actually done direct and/or comparative listening evaluations, by all means they should post them here.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, manueljenkin said:

Thank you very much. I would be interested to know if there is openly available information on how this rough sine wave is converted to square wave, atleast a basic overview of it.

I’m sure this is an interesting discussion, and not intentional on your part, but you’re taking this thread off-topic. See posting guidelines at the top of the page. This thread needs to stay focused on direct listening experience.

Please create a separate thread to dig into clock design to your heart’s content. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Nenon That looks amazing! I’m going to be following the progress with great interest.

Just for folks to know where to post regarding this... while this project comes to fruition, please discuss over on the main DIY server thread: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/58164-building-a-diy-music-server/page/

Once builds are completed, by all means post your listening impressions and comparisons with other servers here on this thread.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Thanks for the update!  In your opinion, would the SRC-DX also be of benefit to DAVE owners who do not have an Extreme?

Is the latency of the Amanero interface audible because it is coupled with an extremely low latency server like the Extreme? And conversely, in a chain with a different server, whose latency may be higher, would this effect dissipate? This is what remains to be seen.

BTW - the above hypothesis was articulated by @romaz on another channel you and I are on, and it's a very good one.

1 minute ago, AudioDoctor said:

My other DAC has an Amanero USB input and now I want to test the other inputs and see what I think. I have had an idea that I have been meaning to call Fred about regarding one of the other inputs. If the others sound better, I suppose this could be a worthwhile addition.

It's worth a try. Of course, there are other considerations that come into play, since every input type has its quirks, and the quality can vary based on the DAC.

• 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Excellent post, Rajiv!  I'm curious...if you were at a live performance of Solti's Mahler 8th, would you be able to hear individual instruments during full-throated passages, or is that a function of listening to PGGBed files through your headphones?

Thanks for calling out my sloppy phrasing, Brian! You're correct, that's not what I was trying to convey. Here is my edited sentence:

...where I could hear instrument groups as a collection of individual instruments, rather than a homogeneous whole, even during full-throated orchestral passages. 

33 minutes ago, ray-dude said:

Great write up Rajiv!

Having had prototype components strewn all over my living room and dining room for 6 months, stepping backwards to my DC3 was a very very difficult thing to do.  Can't wait to hear the pre production units and some of that ARC6 magic again!

For DC4 owners, be prepared for an absolutely stunning lift to whatever impact DC4 has in your chain.  Pretty remarkable, esp. with a device that scales like the Chord DAVE.

Kudos to you guys for all your experiments! I'm only hearing the end result, whereas you guys put in the work to suss out different alternatives. The end result is quite stunning.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/28/2023 at 8:55 AM, VegArchie said:

5 years later, how would you rate this setup compared to what is now available? What are you currently using? Would you recommend to a current Innuos ZENith MK3 owner this AudioLinux ram option for their Innuos ROON core+endpoint?

Apologies, I can't answer this. I've moved on from the Innuos platform, so have no idea to what extent InnuOS and their player have evolved in SQ, relative to AudioLinux or Euphony. But it looks from the other thread that you posted that you tried this experiment and generated some interesting findings!

As to what I'm currently using, this article details my current setup: 

On 1/3/2024 at 7:54 PM, VegArchie said:

If I'm reading correctly, you eventually changed your music server to the Taiko Extreme. How did this compare to what you had before?

Hi VegArchie,

I've written about this on this thread, so anything I say now would be repeating myself. If you use the search bar above and search back on this thread (topic) for "update" and limit the search to my user id, I think you'll find them easily enough. Updates prior to 2020 are also indexed in the first post of this thread. I stopped maintaining that index after that point. I can't swear this link will work in perpetuity, but this should give you the search I described in this paragraph: https://audiophilestyle.com/search/?q=update&quick=1&item=30376&type=forums_topic&author=austinpop&sortby=newest&search_and_or=and

Here is the post where I shared my impressions about the Extreme and my previous server: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?do=findComment&comment=1073467

Just to summarize my steps since I owned the Innuos ZENith SE, I progressed through:

• a low-power Pentium NUC endpoint running Audio Linux
  • a Core i7 NUC NUC7i7DNBE/Plato X7D endpoint running Audio Linux and then Euphony
  • an i7-8700T custom standalone music server running Euphony
  • an i7-8700K custom standalone music server running Euphony
  • to finally the Taiko Extreme.
1 hour ago, Downtheline said:

Is olympus next?

I hope so! But it will take time for the coffers to refill enough to make that feasible for me! Partly it will depend on resale of other gear, including my Extreme.

My Extreme won't become available until mid-year, when the Olympus XDMI arrives. But if anyone is interested in moving up to the Extreme, and would like to lock in my unit, PM me and we can discuss the details.

• 2 weeks later...