IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 LISTENING IMPRESSIONS thread

Did I ever mention that I hate people that can solder Oyaide DC plugs with success? ? I made a mess with mine and was "forced" to buy a longer one from Purefonics. Still waiting for it to arrive to know the actual lenght (but guessing 20-25cm).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Haha! Remember that solder joint quality will also effect performance a bad solder joint will negate any advantage of good wire. If you think soldering to the Oiyade DC connector is difficult, try soldering to a micro USB plug, yikes! I made a nice little Micro USB cable for my Mojo with Jupiter silver in cotton wire for the signal, and Jupiter copper in cotton for the ground and conductor, it works great, but I think I may never try and solder a micro USB again!.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Haha! Remember that solder joint quality will also effect performance a bad solder joint will negate any advantage of good wire. If you think soldering to the Oiyade DC connector is difficult, try soldering to a micro USB plug, yikes! I made a nice little Micro USB cable for my Mojo with Jupiter silver in cotton wire for the signal, and Jupiter copper in cotton for the ground and conductor, it works great, but I think I may never try and solder a micro USB again!.

Thanks barrows!

I know the Oyaide DC plugs are VERY far from the worst case scenario when it comes to soldering projects. What I realized though was how little my reading glasses and cheap magnifying glass with alligator clip was helping me out. If I ever decide to give it another go I will invest in better quality soldering accessories for sure! ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

🎛️  Audio System  

I got my LPS-1 today all the way from US to Sweden with less additional costs than anticipated, so far soo good.

And after plugging in the unit replacing the LIO dac powersupply for microRendu It sounds even better than before and this from cold.

It is a magic small box with power. While one used to think that good sound always have to come from bigger boxes with large transformers this a little chocking with its small appearance.

The superfluous LIO powersupply will power the downstream FMC - a next task but first after hearing and enjoying this new powersupply.

Thanks Alex and John

Regards Magnus

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

If you want to go that short, then just order one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/2-1mm-5-5mm-power-cable-coupler/dp/B00IYYVF26

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

OK so my outrageously expensive $6.50 DC to DC adapter plug arrived from Amazon last Friday. This replaced my homemade one inch cable.

After elevating my little USB box to the LPS1 height level the holes lined up and the little adapter plugged right into both devices.

Yet another significant improvement in SQ is gained. Clarity and presence is off the charts with much richer tone and timber.

This little device, and an adjustment to ASIO buffers(8192) and latency settings(low, not minimum) for dsd512 on the microIDSD has taken things to a crazy good level. Indeed it's one of those you've got to listen to every album you own again type tweaks.

Thanks for the advice Alex!

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

OK so my outrageously expensive $6.50 DC to DC adapter plug arrived from Amazon last Friday. This replaced my homemade one inch cable.

After elevating my little USB box to the LPS1 height level the holes lined up and the little adapter plugged right into both devices.

Yet another significant improvement in SQ is gained. Clarity and presence is off the charts with much richer tone and timber.

This little device, and an adjustment to ASIO buffers(8192) and latency settings(low, not minimum) for dsd512 on the microIDSD has taken things to a crazy good level. Indeed it's one of those you've got to listen to every album you own again type tweaks.

Very cool! Ordered. [emoji16]

I'm interested in trying such a coupler. But then I'd need to get a short USB to replace the hard adaptor between the mRendu and my DAC. Can't hang uRendu and the LPS 1 off my DAC safely.

Suggestions for a short USB that's not super expensive welcome! I've seen mixed result on other threads with folks replacing the hard adaptor.

Bump.

I purchased one of those plugs immediately after seeing Alex post the link. I didn't try it directly between LPS-1 and microRendu until tonight. I had been using it with a Y-cable that allowed me to power both the microRendu and an FMC.

I'm equally floored by the improvement in clarity, presence and tone. Thanks for sharing your findings lmitche. And thanks also to Alex for the pointer.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I purchased one of those plugs immediately after seeing Alex post the link. I didn't try it directly between LPS-1 and microRendu until tonight. I had been using it with a Y-cable that allowed me to power both the microRendu and an FMC.

I'm equally floored by the improvement in clarity, presence and tone. Thanks for sharing your findings lmitche. And thanks also to Alex for the pointer.

Kenny B, nice to hear you were able to duplicate the success of this little "tweaklet" ! This is one of those tweaks that drives me crazy by reducing my confidence that I understand how this stuff works. This one is so simple and so profound and was discovered completely by accident.

So strange!

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

pity the hard adapter can't be used between an LPS-1 and a Regen :-/

(not enough clearance between power and USB on the Regen)

@Superdad : if rumors about a "Regen über" are true... please take the above into account ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

For me the adapter was a little better but no night-and-day difference, as I wrote earlier. For the cost, it is a no brainer for sure.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

Peaked my interest too, as I really don't plan on spending $$ for a Cardas cable, so I ordered a 6" generic dc cable. Not only does it look nicer going from the rendu to the LPS-1, but definitely a small bump up in sound too. Not sure how I'd ideally mate the rendu and LPS with a hard adaptor and not make it look like a total kludge - I do wish one of the inputs of the rendu were on the side. But for $6 might give the hard adaptor a try. I also have on order a supposedly audiophile dc to dc male cable from China that is only 10cm long. For $23 thought I'd give it a try. Will report back. The sound is so good already that any further tweaks are very very subtle.

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

BTW, I would be happy to help out folks who might want a custom length, high quality DC cable (by PM).

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Kenny B, nice to hear you were able to duplicate the success of this little "tweaklet" ! This is one of those tweaks that drives me crazy by reducing my confidence that I understand how this stuff works. This one is so simple and so profound and was discovered completely by accident.

So strange!

This one definitely had me shaking my head in disbelief. How could that little barrel adapter make such a difference? Of course I was using a Y-cable prior to this, so maybe that was doing me no good?

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Trying to find a right angle 2.1 male to 2.1 male connector and no luck. That would work perfectly for the LPS-1/rendu connection (and I would imagine Regen as well?).

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

I got my LPS-1 today all the way from US to Sweden with less additional costs than anticipated, so far soo good.

And after plugging in the unit replacing the LIO dac powersupply for microRendu It sounds even better than before and this from cold.

It is a magic small box with power. While one used to think that good sound always have to come from bigger boxes with large transformers this a little chocking with its small appearance.

The superfluous LIO powersupply will power the downstream FMC - a next task but first after hearing and enjoying this new powersupply.

Thanks Alex and John

Regards Magnus

Hello!

I just tried to use the mR powersupply in the LIO for my downstream FMC but that did now work out as I hoped.

The fmc indicating its on but there is no light on mR.

I have checked and I guess they are not compatible with this powersupply. One can either use 9 v or 5 v for FMC not 7 volt that I suspect is output from LIO.

I know some here who made it work using a Y-cable using boths mR and a FMC unit but I could be wrong. Couldl I also use a Y-cable for powering boths FMC units instead of one?

Appreciate some help or otherwise pointers to a good powersupply either LPS or battery ( with charger) for fmc.

Regards Magnus

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

Hello!

I just tried to use the mR powersupply in the LIO for my downstream FMC but that did now work out as I hoped.

The fmc indicating its on but there is no light on mR.

I have checked and I guess they are not compatible with this powersupply. One can either use 9 v or 5 v for FMC not 7 volt that I suspect is output from LIO.

I know some here who made it work using a Y-cable using boths mR and a FMC unit but I could be wrong. Couldl I also use a Y-cable for powering boths FMC units instead of one?

Appreciate some help or otherwise pointers to a good powersupply either LPS or battery ( with charger) for fmc.

Regards Magnus

Hi Magnus:

Really glad to know that you are enjoying so much the UltraCap LPS-1 in your system. Thanks for your report.

Regarding using the specialized DC output module of your LIO for powering an FMC, you ought to ask Vinnie about it. An FMC should work fine at 7V--they do for LPS-1 users. Remember two things though:

1) The lights on a microRendu are indication of network connection, not power. So you need to be sure of those connections.

2) I read that the LIO DC output module for mR is only active when you have selected DAC as the source on your LIO input control.

Hope the above helps a bit. But do check with Vinnie about it.

--Best,

ALEX C.

2) I read that the LIO DC output module for mR is only active when you have selected DAC as the source on your LIO input control.

That's correct, if you select "d_3" the 7Vdc (or higher) is typically only "hot" then. This is done so if you have a phono stage there isn't extra noise possible in the circuit. It can be wired so it's "hot" all the time if you wanted.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Hello again,

Thanks for your answers Superdad and Jtwrace, these encorouged me to try again, and guess what it works now. Don`t know what was

the missing solution. The d3 source selector was on boths times.

But as long as it works no problem. And the vinnie rossie ps is doing a great job powering the FMC, better sound.

Regards Magnus

I just went on Amazon to order the plugs but they were not in stock. They have a 5 pk. of the same adapter so I ended up getting that instead. They are due to arrive this Saturday. Since I only need one, the first four that want to try it out can have for $5.00 ea. including delivery/PayPal via standard US postal. Just send PM me.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

Hi,

Could you please provide a link to where you ordered that cable from?

TIA.

SLK Audio OCC HIFI DC Power Cable for SOLO L3

Currently using one of these and it sounds better than the stock that comes with the LPS-1 due to length alone. It's all very subtle though as it's not a dramatic jump like going from the HDPLEX to the LPS-1 was for me - more of a slight gradation than anything else.

https://www.amazon.com/Valley-Enterprises-2-1mm-5-5mm-Adapter/dp/B00I6O1QAA