IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 LISTENING IMPRESSIONS thread

I have had my LPS-1 a couple of weeks now. I am using it to power a microRendu, which itself is connected to a Mutec MCS+USB. Previously the mR was powered by the 9V ifi. To be honest, I was not expecting much of an improvement from the LPS-1, the reason being that the Mutec is effectively the last component in the chain prior to the DAC (or Devialet in my case), so with the Mutec working it's isolation and re-clocking magic, it seamed unlikely that power supply to the mR could make much difference.

I made up a playlist of tracks and listened via the LPS-1/mR/Mutec. Everything sounded good, it was if some digital 'glare' had been banished from the system, a step up in details, but not is a 'hifi' sounding way, but simply sounding real and organic. Without going too deeply into audiophile speak, I was enjoying simply listening to the music, enjoyable and unfatiguing you might say. I often find that with A/B testing, I tend to notice more going back, rather than stepping up, if that makes sense, I find it easy to see what's gone when going back. So after an hour or so listening I switched back to the ifi. Running with the ifi there was definitely something lost from the performance, and also I think something negative gained. It is very hard to describe the effect in words, but there was a certain magic and insight to the music that was lost with the ifi back in place. It is something in the finest details, that was not quite there to the same extent with the ifi providing the power. Also, there were a couple of track in the playlist that have quieter sections, then when everything kicks in they can sound a bit harsh and unpleasant. The kind of music where you might be listening and enjoying, then when everything kicks in, you reach for the remote to turn the volume down with a slightly cringing expression on your face. The LPS-1 appeared to excel in sections like this, with the cringing harsh bit being replaced with an insight into what the musicians are actually doing. I was not expecting anything quite so apparent as this! So for me, my ears and my system, the LPS-1 provided a step up in performance that was far greater than I imagined possible considering the influence of the Mutec in the chain. Good stuff!

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

I have had my LPS-1 a couple of weeks now. I am using it to power a microRendu, which itself is connected to a Mutec MCS+USB. Previously the mR was powered by the 9V ifi. To be honest, I was not expecting much of an improvement from the LPS-1, the reason being that the Mutec is effectively the last component in the chain prior to the DAC (or Devialet in my case), so with the Mutec working it's isolation and re-clocking magic, it seamed unlikely that power supply to the mR could make much difference.

I made up a playlist of tracks and listened via the LPS-1/mR/Mutec. Everything sounded good, it was if some digital 'glare' had been banished from the system, a step up in details, but not is a 'hifi' sounding way, but simply sounding real and organic. Without going too deeply into audiophile speak, I was enjoying simply listening to the music, enjoyable and unfatiguing you might say. I often find that with A/B testing, I tend to notice more going back, rather than stepping up, if that makes sense, I find it easy to see what's gone when going back. So after an hour or so listening I switched back to the ifi. Running with the ifi there was definitely something lost from the performance, and also I think something negative gained. It is very hard to describe the effect in words, but there was a certain magic and insight to the music that was lost with the ifi back in place. It is something in the finest details, that was not quite there to the same extent with the ifi providing the power. Also, there were a couple of track in the playlist that have quieter sections, then when everything kicks in they can sound a bit harsh and unpleasant. The kind of music where you might be listening and enjoying, then when everything kicks in, you reach for the remote to turn the volume down with a slightly cringing expression on your face. The LPS-1 appeared to excel in sections like this, with the cringing harsh bit being replaced with an insight into what the musicians are actually doing. I was not expecting anything quite so apparent as this! So for me, my ears and my system, the LPS-1 provided a step up in performance that was far greater than I imagined possible considering the influence of the Mutec in the chain. Good stuff!

I'm also thinking about using a Mutec MC-3+ USB in my chain. I will be receiving a LPS-1 soon. How big of a difference did the Mutec make? I'll be using a Schiit Yggdrasil for my DAC.

I have had my LPS-1 a couple of weeks now. I am using it to power a microRendu, which itself is connected to a Mutec MCS+USB. Previously the mR was powered by the 9V ifi. ........

The LPS-1 appeared to excel in sections like this, with the cringing harsh bit being replaced with an insight into what the musicians are actually doing. I was not expecting anything quite so apparent as this! So for me, my ears and my system, the LPS-1 provided a step up in performance that was far greater than I imagined possible considering the influence of the Mutec in the chain. Good stuff!

Thanks very much for posting your impressions. Glad to know you are enjoying the benefits of our UltraCap LPS-1 in your music system!

Have a lovely holiday,

--Alex C.

I'm also thinking about using a Mutec MC-3+ USB in my chain. I will be receiving a LPS-1 soon. How big of a difference did the Mutec make? I'll be using a Schiit Yggdrasil for my DAC.

This is a little off topic here! All I can say is the Mutec works well with a Devialet Expert amp and a LPS-1 powered microRendu. I suggest you post in one of the Mutec threads, I would be happy to provide further info there, plus a few Schiit users may well chip in with very relevant advise.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

Mutec worked great here with my Yggy - remember to try different settings for the Mutec ASIO driver - has a control panel for the driver.

I use a Regen (LPS Powered 7.5v) before my Mutec. Then AES out to Yggy.

Got my LPS-1 on Saturday last week so I have had it for a while. Very nice bump up in SQ - more naturalness, depth, detail and less digital artefacts. I am clearly now getting sound a good better than I could from any affordable LP set-up. Thanks Alex and John.

hltf

Got my LPS-1 on Saturday last week so I have had it for a while. Very nice bump up in SQ - more naturalness, depth, detail and less digital artefacts. I am clearly now getting sound a good better than I could from any affordable LP set-up. Thanks Alex and John.

Just hooked mine up tonight, so it's still fresh.

HD-Plex 100W Linear PSU feeds both the PC+LPS(@7.5v)

NAS-dedicated fanless i7 PC-network-GISO-microRendu-Bryston BDA3

Man, it's sounding clearer/deeper with each step. I like very much. Thank you for the terrific PSU, designed specifically for the all star microRendu!

Coming next, I have a short Curious cable USB to insert, and a new Ethernet switch for the audio tower (cable box, DVD, PC, uRendu, AppleTV- need more than a 5 port switch), with some Blue Jean Cable Ethernet cables to swap in.

Although, my VPI Scout + K&K phono amp, with clean vinyl still wins. It is getting closer though.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

Just hooked mine up tonight, so it's still fresh.

HD-Plex 100W Linear PSU feeds both the PC+LPS(@7.5v)

NAS-dedicated fanless i7 PC-network-GISO-microRendu-Bryston BDA3

Man, it's sounding clearer/deeper with each step. I like very much. Thank you for the terrific PSU, designed specifically for the all star microRendu!

Coming next, I have a short Curious cable USB to insert, and a new Ethernet switch for the audio tower (cable box, DVD, PC, uRendu, AppleTV- need more than a 5 port switch), with some Blue Jean Cable Ethernet cables to swap in.

Although, my VPI Scout + K&K phono amp, with clean vinyl still wins. It is getting closer though.

Wait, you can use the HDPlex to power the LPS-1? Is that better than powering it from the energizer that they give you?

I was not sure that it would, but the specs seemed to be ok. The HD-Plex LPS was already powering the microRendu, and the PC. I figured I would hook it up first, to energize the LPS-1, before breaking out the supplied energizer.

Seems to work great, although I would take suggestions if there is a better output setting than 7.5v.

Also, does anyone have a line on the power connectors used in this system (perhaps "better" ones)? I need to make a longer cable to use the short Curious USB cable.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

I may have missed it, but I have not seen a direct comparison between the LPS-1 and the Sonore Signature Series Power Supply powering microRendu. Can anybody direct me to a comparison review?

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos PhoenixNet Switch>Muon Pro ethernet cable>Muon Pro>Grimm Mu2>AudioQuest Dragon XLR>NAD M23> Falcon 2024 Limited Edition LS35a & REL T7Xi sub. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite SX powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner W/Ground Master City.

I may have missed it, but I have not seen a direct comparison between the LPS-1 and the Sonore Signature Series Power Supply powering microRendu. Can anybody direct me to a comparison review?

Many people have asked the same questions for past few months and have not received any response. I guess the answer is in the silence 9003014-Emoticon-zipping-his-mouth-Stock-Vector-smiley-face-cartoon.jpg

Many people have asked the same questions for past few months and have not received any response. I guess the answer is in the silence [ATTACH=CONFIG]31573[/ATTACH]

How many people do you think bought both?

Even for reviewers - how likely are they to have both on hand at the same time?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

See Post #227 in this thread. Note the caveats from that poster- it was not really an ideal comparison and as the poster noted, it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Got my second LPS-1 to power the microRendu on my speaker system: microRendu + LPS-1 > Schiit Yggdrasil > Hegel H360 > KEF Reference 1s + REL T7i subs. It replaced a Teddy Pardo power supply. Listening to the wonderful new issue of "Libre Vermell de Montserrat" led by Jordi Savall and recorded in a spacious church space (https://www.alia-vox.com/cataleg.php?id=134 via HDtracks PCM 88.2/24) I feel I'm there in church with the musicians and singers, with the sound enveloping me and the teeniest details, including steps and handling of instruments coming through. I was already happy with my system, but this is as when the glasses I clean every day with fluid and lens cloth are really cleaned with one of those optician ultrasonic lens cleaners. I don't much notice the thin layer gunk on the lenses until the real cleaning happens ;)

Vangelis: Please feel free to contact me directly (PM) for some information on this topic. We have received some feedback from our Sonore customers on this question. As I work with Sonore, and have not made the comparison myself, I do not feel it appropriate to post the info here. Remember, the Sonore Signature Supply is purpose built to provide the best performance possible from the µRendu, regardless of cost (for the most part), and not to be a supply with flexibility for other products.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

When I got my LPS-1 a couple of weeks ago, I hooked it up to my CAPSv3 Carbon's SoTM USB card to replace the HDPlex. It sounds a little better but I couldn't quite pinpoint it. But I didn't want to A/B the sound with the HDPlex. I just wanted to listen to LPS-1.

And then I moved on to put the LPS-1 to replace my HDPlex to power my miniDSP nanoDigi 2x8B which I use to DSP the video sound signals I get from my Oppo blu-ray player via Toslink. The sonic improvement was much more dramatic. As Romaz said at the beginning of this forum, the bass was much more solid and powerful. The subtle digital hash that I didn't even know was there was gone. The sound was significantly more realistic and 3-dimensional. There was a lot more low-level details and the nuances and naturalness of voices and instrumental timbre was brought out. The difference was so dramatic, I A/B'd it a few times to confirm I wasn't dreaming this up.

3 days into owning the LPS-1, I ordered another one because I want one for the miniDSP for TV/movies, and one for my CAPSv3 Carbon/SoTM USB card for music. The new unit shipped yesterday.

Finally, today, I had time to do a quick A/B with the CAPSv3 Carbon/SoTM USB. It's quick because time is precious and I think most people here just like the LPS-1 and didn't bother to go back to A/B much. The difference between LPS-1 vs HDPlex on the Carbon was clearly not as dramatic as with the miniDSP. But with the LPS-1, I'm still hearing slightly more low-level details, slightly better nuances with the naturalness of vocals and instrumental timbre, and definitely a more holographic 3D sound where the instrument seems to occupy a space, rather than being flat. Not that the previous configuration sounded flat with my Chord DAVE. It's just better. It's one of those sonic improvements that seemed hard to quantify or qualify but let's just say I would not waste any more time switching back to HDPlex. (btw, the LPS-1 is powered by the HDPlex, not the Meanwell)

The bigger issue is that having read everything John Swenson wrote about leakage currents, I'm now obsessed with finding a way to reduce the leakage currents between my DAC and my amp/subwoofers further. They seem to draw too much power to be put on the same power bar/outlet. Something to work on in 2017? Now just enjoying the sonic improvements and waiting for the next unit so I don't have to switch back and forth and reboot the LPS-1 all the time (SoTM USB 7V, miniDSP 5V). I'm surprised I drew myself away from my stereo to type this.

The bigger issue is that having read everything John Swenson wrote about leakage currents, I'm now obsessed with finding a way to reduce the leakage currents between my DAC and my amp/subwoofers further. They seem to draw too much power to be put on the same power bar/outlet. Something to work on in 2017?

This is also my goal in 2017, get an isolation transformer into my system. My weakness at this point is definitely the Amp/subwoofers leakage.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

This is also my goal in 2017, get an isolation transformer into my system. My weakness at this point is definitely the Amp/subwoofers leakage.

It does make a difference. I have my amp and sub running from a dedicated 20 amp circuit installed just for that purpose. My source gear is all hooked to a Bryston BIT15 transformer unit which is plugged into the regular rom circuit.

It does make a difference. I have my amp and sub running from a dedicated 20 amp circuit installed just for that purpose. My source gear is all hooked to a Bryston BIT15 transformer unit which is plugged into the regular rom circuit.

That's similar to my current setup except that'll increase the leakage current between the amp and the source gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

I just got my LPS-1 and I am using it to power my SATA drive. I made up my own cable but i was wondering if someone sells custom made cables. The cable would be a 2.1mm barrel to SATA power or 2.1mm to molex.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

I just got my LPS-1 and I am using it to power my SATA drive. I made up my own cable but i was wondering if someone sells custom made cables. The cable would be a 2.1mm barrel to SATA power or 2.1mm to molex.

Hi Dminches,

I made my own cable as well. Easy enough, just cutoff the modular PSU connector and added a screw on barrel connector. It's works without incident.

What's to be gained by a custom cable? Also, how did the LPS 1 improve your SQ?

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Hi Dminches,

I made my own cable as well. Easy enough, just cutoff the modular PSU connector and added a screw on barrel connector. It's works without incident.

What's to be gained by a custom cable? Also, how did the LPS 1 improve your SQ?

There probably isn't much to be gained by buying a pre-made cable but I would think that soldered connections might be better than not. That's how I have always done it.

I haven't had the time to do any real listening with the LPS-1. That will come this weekend.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Alex I promised to write back with my impressions of the LPS-1 compared to the SBooster since you gave me the option to return it if I didn't prefer the LPS-1. Well the LPS-1 will not be leaving. What a match made in heaven with the microRendu and the LPS-1. Timber, soundstaging, and air are all substantially better. My wife suggested that when going back and forth that it was different songs. I think most important is how my Kef LS50's that were very good at disappearing are completely forgotten when listening in the dark. The equipment is now not part of the conversation. The soundstage is enveloping and deeper than ever with a amazing sense of realism. I experienced this when switching from sonos to the microRendu and again when inserting the LPS-1. Thanks to both companies for the ability to further my beloved hobby and bring such realism into my listening area. I only wish I could use the same affordable technology to my Dac/Preamp and CJ amp which use 120v.

Received an LPS-1 for Xmas to power my microRendu, and I will second the observations made above by sdorfman58. It's absolutely jaw dropping, and night and day from the ifi (now energizing the LPS) or the HDPLEX. Currently listening to Portrait in Jazz, and it's like Bill Evans rolled a piano into the living room. Bass is particularly improved - fuller yet more realistic and focused, fully imaged. Abbey Road, which I've never found playback on that enjoyable (on my system), sounds great now. Instrument separation is improved, but sounding totally natural, not forced hifi sounding. I'm finding I can now play at lower volumes as well, and that's good news for my smallish size yet super sounding amp (Naim 110). Well done guys and a big thank you!

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab.