IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 LISTENING IMPRESSIONS thread

There have been a number of requests for a test between the Sonore PSU and the LPS-1. I was able to *briefly* test the LPS-1 against the Sonore PSU and a Mojo-Audio Joule V.

I used the Sonore PSU for my mRendu and a Joule V to power a SonicTransport i5. The Joule V has a second 7v output, but I preferred the Sonore. (This might have been because I was using both rails in the Joule V). I read the LPS-1 reviews and bought it out of curiosity.

While waiting for the LPS-1, I decided to upgrade the Joule V and sell the Sonore and the LPS-1.

When I received the LPS-1 I put it up for immediate sale. Out of concern for the next owner I wanted to briefly ensure it worked. So I carefully unpacked the LPS-1 and listened to it for a very short period of time.

I found it extremely clean, a very low noise floor, like the Sonore. But the Sonore had a liveliness and presence that was missing from the LPS-1.

This was a very short audition, with no break-in, using the stock cable. So take it with a grain of salt. But based upon that short audition, I preferred both the Sonore and the Joule V.

SonicTransport i5 -> mRendu -> Bricasti M1 SE -> ATC CA1 Preamp - ATC SCM 20 II powered studio monitors. Tellurium Q power cords and interconnects, Curious USB, Audioquest Vodka Ethernet.

very interesting! may I know what you used for powering REGEN before? Since I used the AC adapter came with REGEN and it improves a lot but I can barely hear any different after adding LPS-1 in between. just wondering if there is anything wrong during my new connections...... LPS-1 double the price of REGEN after all plus all those positive comments makes me wonder if there is anything i missed......

It's a third day since I have LPS-1 powering Regen in my chain. Before that I've written to Alex from UpTone, that I'm not sure if I want to keep Regen. Its influence over SQ was not in all aspects good. Since I got LPS-1, Regens place in my chain is 100% guaranteed. Big difference ! Watch out over polarization of your mainwell powercable powering LPS-1. In one position the source placement seemed to be floating, in other - all is ok! And yes, it's official, Regen does it's best when placed just before DAC. I've also tried Vbus2 between Regen and hard adapter (as my DAC doesn't need USB power), but found it disturbing SQ.

Clearly we have a different experiences. Before, I powered Regen with supplied mainwell. Regen did changed the sound signature. Music became rounded in mids and hights, with bigger bass, but bass was less colorful, less different. Also in high frequencies this "rounding" was not too good in my setup. Some user told me to wait with patience for LPS-1. The difference in my setup was undoubtedly great. All that I was complying at, just disappears. Sound became clearer, overall lighter in mids and bass, but with deep bass as well.

I use Jcat USB Isolator right after my audio-only laptop, then Vbus2 cuts 5V in USB cable, then I have Regen powered by LPS-1 and Regen is placed just before my DAC and is connected through hard adapter supplied with the Regen.

We may vary in our experiences because of this specific audio chain.

very interesting! may I know what you used for powering REGEN before? Since I used the AC adapter came with REGEN and it improves a lot but I can barely hear any different after adding LPS-1 in between. just wondering if there is anything wrong during my new connections...... LPS-1 double the price of REGEN after all plus all those positive comments makes me wonder if there is anything i missed......

Thanks for your sharing. when i first integrated REGEN to my setup the changes were all positive and, my streamer was an audio dedicated Mac Mini (w/o LPS modification however) running Audirvana Plus. Then it is changed to Aurender N100H few months ago with audible improvement too. that could be the lead to the variance maybe......

BTW, the full source chain now becomes: Synology NAS > Oyaide Cat.7 ethernet cable > Aurender > AQ USB cable > REGEN powered by LPS-1 powered by original REGEN mainwell > TEAC DAC

Clearly we have a different experiences. Before, I powered Regen with supplied mainwell. Regen did changed the sound signature. Music became rounded in mids and hights, with bigger bass, but bass was less colorful, less different. Also in high frequencies this "rounding" was not too good in my setup. Some user told me to wait with patience for LPS-1. The difference in my setup was undoubtedly great. All that I was complying at, just disappears. Sound became clearer, overall lighter in mids and bass, but with deep bass as well.

I use Jcat USB Isolator right after my audio-only laptop, then Vbus2 cuts 5V in USB cable, then I have Regen powered by LPS-1 and Regen is placed just before my DAC and is connected through hard adapter supplied with the Regen.

We may vary in our experiences because of this specific audio chain.

Very nice setup. You can try to get rid of 5V between Aurender and AQ USB cable. In my setup it was cool improvement, using small, tiny, not very expensive Sbooster Vbus2.

Thanks for your sharing. when i first integrated REGEN to my setup the changes were all positive and, my streamer was an audio dedicated Mac Mini (w/o LPS modification however) running Audirvana Plus. Then it is changed to Aurender N100H few months ago with audible improvement too. that could be the lead to the variance maybe......

BTW, the full source chain now becomes: Synology NAS > Oyaide Cat.7 ethernet cable > Aurender > AQ USB cable > REGEN powered by LPS-1 powered by original REGEN mainwell > TEAC DAC

Thanks for your advice. I will look into Vbus2 but I am just wondering if that would be an duplication for my setup since REGEN seems to have similar functionality regarding 5Vusb?

Very nice setup. You can try to get rid of 5V between Aurender and AQ USB cable. In my setup it was cool improvement, using small, tiny, not very expensive Sbooster Vbus2.

The difference is that there is no current in USB cable. Of course I'm not sure about the effect in your system.

Thanks for your advice. I will look into Vbus2 but I am just wondering if that would be an duplication for my setup since REGEN seems to have similar functionality regarding 5Vusb?

Hi,

I have had my UltraCap LPS-1 in my system for about 10 days now and I would like to share my impressions. I have for a long time had two Audioquest JitterBug and a USB REGEN in my digital chain (from an Apple MacBook Pro (2014) to a Benchmark DAC2 HGC). The JitterBug and the REGEN made an audible improvement of the SQ, but it cannot compare with the improvement I got after powering the REGEN with the UltraCAP LPS-1.

I am actually surpised how big an improvement I got. The improvement in SQ is almost of the magnitude I got after adding Dirac room correction to my system, and that improvement was huge. The type of improvement the the LPS-1 brings is however related to different parameters (Dirac solved my frequency and impulse response related SQ problems). The effect of the LPS-1 is a bit more difficult to describe, but I can only say that now, for the first time, everything just sounds right. Gone is that stress that previously has always been a part of listening to a system with a digital front end. For the first time I actually understand the meaning of the term "digital hash". I understand it because it is gone. The sound coming from my system is now completely relaxed and it just sounds right, for the lack of a better word "analogue". And that difference is very profound. It's like when you go from exhibitor to exhibitor in a hi-fi show and finally comes to a room where it just sounds right, it is difficult to describe exactly what it is but it is there. I was actually on my way to invest in an expensive AC power conditioner like Audioquest Niagara 7000 or Shunyata Research etc. (I currently have a PS Audio Dectet), but I don't feel the need for that type of investment anymore...

I also would like to add that the LPS-1 made an ever so slight improvement in SQ powering the Regen over my JKenny battery mod. So out goes the DIY mod and the Regen is happy to return to it's encasing.

Buggers on being unable to power my Chord Hugo with the LPS-1, not enough power and/or my inability to know where on the board to properly bypass the battery inputs.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

The difference is that there is no current in USB cable. Of course I'm not sure about the effect in your system.

If your DAC does not need the 5V feed from USB, there will be no current in the cable whether the 5V line is connected or not.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

For the first time I actually understand the meaning of the term "digital hash". I understand it because it is gone.

(snip)

I was actually on my way to invest in an expensive AC power conditioner like Audioquest Niagara 7000 or Shunyata Research etc. (I currently have a PS Audio Dectet), but I don't feel the need for that type of investment anymore...

I had the same reaction to the LPS-1 as you did. Remarkable product - especially given the price.

I recently also added a Shunyata Denali D6000/S. This delivered an astounding improvement. You are most likely listening through a lot of noise now - and until you hear it stripped away you won't realize how bad it is. The Denali plus Shunyata cords greatly improved dynamics too.

The LPS-1 has given you a really good taste of what better power can do. Now imagine those benefits multiplied across the rest of your components and dialed up a good amount. That's roughly what you'd get with a Denali.

(I tried a Dectet at one point but thought it did some harm so I sent it back.)

Sorry to go off-topic here, I just thought that since I recently made both moves it might be of value to share this here.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Hello all

I do not come so often here since few months.

So. I’ve had some testing opportunity that should be interesting to share.

One of my friends gave me for a week an Uptone LPS1.

From time to time during its development, I had a look on Alex or John progress.

Some month ago I asked directly to Alex:

“does it makes sense for me to buy your LPS1 when it will be available? “

Alex clearly say No! a good friendly No. you already have a JS2 for the regen. No need to go further with LPS1.

But as LPS1 is at home this week. I decided to compare 3 solutions.

Solution n°1 my current system :

Clone Audio -> NAS Qnap251

Uptone JS2 -> macMini (output 2)

Uptone JS2 -> Regen (output 1)

solution n°2

Clone Audio -> NAS Qnap251

Uptone JS2 (output 2) -> macMini

Uptone JS2 (output 1) - > Ultracap - > Regen

Solution n°3

Uptone JS2 (output 1) - >NAS Qnap251

Uptone JS2 (output 2) - >macMini

Clone Audio - >Ultracap - >Regen

My Mini is a 2013 I7 - 16Go – MMK – SD card – CAD scripst – Mavericks – Audirvana 2.5.99 – Fabfilter …

I play both A+ stand alone with/without Ramdisk & A+ integer mode.

comparison between solution 1&2 was noticeable. Fluid, more natural, organic are words I should use to describe the difference.

It is not a big big gap, but it is noticeable. Difference could be compared with the difference you have when your amplifier is cold /warm

When I went to the solution n°3, I was not expecting any changes. At least some marginal improvements.

That was not the case. Not at all. It was a hurge change. Deeper bass and more density in the message. At the same time treble and harmonics are improving too.

No matter with the position of the volume knob. It is and stays far better than the others solutions.

As a conclusion for me. JS2 & LPS1 are made to work together.

LPS1 will be in my wish list for 2017. And may be a second JS2. Except if Alex & John have in their mind a powerful version of the LPS1 – 5amps please????

Regards

Pol

CloneAudio LPSU for QnapHS-251 fanless - UpTone JS2 for MacMini i7 (SD card only-CAD scripts-MMK fan kit-no disc inside- Audirvana2)- JS2 for REGEN - BelCantoRefLink-TotalDacD1tube(Mullard ECC82 NOS) //Halgorythme single end 300b EML //DiY Open Baffle & Leedh Elfe

Whee was the last time you did something for the first time?

Solution n°3

Uptone JS2 (output 1) - >NAS Qnap251

Uptone JS2 (output 2) - >macMini

Clone Audio - >Ultracap - >Regen

When I went to the solution n°3, I was not expecting any changes. At least some marginal improvements.

That was not the case. Not at all. It was a hurge change. Deeper bass and more density in the message. At the same time treble and harmonics are improving too.

No matter with the position of the volume knob. It is and stays far better than the others solutions.

As a conclusion for me. JS2 & LPS1 are made to work together.

LPS1 will be in my wish list for 2017. And may be a second JS2. Except if Alex & John have in their mind a powerful version of the LPS1 – 5amps please????

Regards

Pol

Hi. Great to see you here again my friend!

Your result is not surprising--I predicted it the second I read your "solution" configurations.

But your conclusion about the JS-2 and LPS-1 being made to work together is not really what I conclude.

Yes, they are both top-flight designs (the JS-2 being the ONLY power-factor-corrected LPS on the market--so it kicks virtually no harmonics into the wall; and it is, AFAIK, the only LPS with floating DC output grounds--so it does not pass house mains ground grunge back into output ground).

But it is clear that the difference you are hearing between "solution #2" and "solution #3" is the fact that the JS-2 is a superior PS for your Qnap NAS. (And you will have the same result if you use an SMPS or any other LPS to "energize"/charge the LPS-1 as its output is unaffected by the feeder and it renders SMPS units harmless as it blocks their #1 evil of excessive AC leakage current.)

By December 21st we should be all caught up with UltraCap LPS-1 orders, so other than a bit of time off at the holidays--and barring another massive sales surge--orders placed now will all ship by that date. Looks like we will finish the year (well the first 3 months of LPS-1 shipments) with close to 750 sold. Wow. Thank you all! (I promise we are not getting rich; the LPS-1 is expensive to build--and we have two kids in college to pay for. ;))

Best,

--Alex C.

Did I misread something? You say that solution 3 is best, then in your conclusion that the js-2 and lps-1 are made to work together. Isn't that solution 2? Anyway if indeed solution 3 sounds best, that would mean that the js2 improved the Qnap NAS sound quality, which having owned an qnap251 is consistent with my experience.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Anyway if indeed solution 3 sounds best, that would mean that the js2 improved the Qnap NAS sound quality, which having owned an qnap251 is consistent with my experience.

Hi Larry: Yes, that was his result and what you say is exactly the point I reinforced above. Consistent with the fact that it is not at all necessary to use a JS-2 to power an LPS-1.

Much better to find some other critical component(s) to use the two choke-filtered, 5-7 amp JS-2 outputs for. A DAC would be the top choice, followed by other units depending upon someone's system configuration.

Anyway if indeed solution 3 sounds best, that would mean that the js2 improved the Qnap NAS sound quality, which having owned an qnap251 is consistent with my experience.

Since powering my microRendu with NiMh batteries (LPS-1 is on the way) I prefer Tidal over NAS. I think I have to invest in a power supply and/or ethernet optimization next. Keeps me busy [emoji2].

Hello all,

Hello Alex, I'm always happy to read you. I was this weekend at the Paris hifi show. CoMare to my Uptone-Apple gears, the sources used there were ... tizzy. Only Totaldac and few others were at the expected level.

@lemitche

Sorry if I was confusing you with my comments.

What I wanted to say is that the JS2, in my system,is above the CloneAudio.

And from my personal testings, the best results I had were with the best is class LPSU feeding the NAS, not the Mac.

Unfortunately I'm a bit scared to use the JS2 for the Mini & the NAS because when I tried this configuration two years ago, I had so many hard crashes of the NAS. At that time I was using a Syno114 not my Qnap 251.

One more thing, the 251 replaced a Qnap 210 last yea with also a noticeable sound improvement

Regards

Pol

CloneAudio LPSU for QnapHS-251 fanless - UpTone JS2 for MacMini i7 (SD card only-CAD scripts-MMK fan kit-no disc inside- Audirvana2)- JS2 for REGEN - BelCantoRefLink-TotalDacD1tube(Mullard ECC82 NOS) //Halgorythme single end 300b EML //DiY Open Baffle & Leedh Elfe

Whee was the last time you did something for the first time?

Remove the FMC's or even better add an LPS-1 to power one (only one) FMC.

A second LPS-1 will lift the SQ. Guaranteed:)

Hey R1200CL, -

Thanks for commenting on my setup.

I am already powering the FMCs with JameCo linear Power supplies, - and I can't/won't spend the $400+ on one for the FMC.

I have to use both FMCs cause I don't have a Fiber switch upstairs.

I have pulled the Fiber out of the system, - and it sounds better with the Fiber in place. Also, - the JameCo FMC LPSs DO sound better, (not dramatically, but significantly), - than the stock, SMPSs supplied with the FMCs.

My next steps are to move LMS to my NAS drive and run it there. AND, - to turn on the "Virtual Switch" on the QNAP and use Ethernet Port 2 for a more direct connection to the microRendu.

I may also buy an EMO EN-30 to try between the final FMC & the microRendu. It's safe to say that although I love my LPS-1, - I will never buy another, - choosing instead to play in other areas....

Cheers,

Hey R1200CL, -

Thanks for commenting on my setup.

I am already powering the FMCs with JameCo linear Power supplies, - and I can't/won't spend the $400+ on one of the FMCs.

Cheers,

My friend borrow my LPS-1, so that's why I'm saying this. It also make sense that your PS have a positive impact.

I've just ordered an EN-70HD. As I too hope to not have to spend another $400 :)

So it will be interesting to find out if is has the same effect as an FMC with good power.

I think we already can conclude that some sort of network isolation will lift the SQ. (As long as the FMC has good power).

I'm looking forward to hear your results of the different planed tests.

Bypassing the switch and your Qnap directly is very interesting.

Both me and my friend has Qnaps with Roon, though I just got the SonicTransporter i5.

Maybe you can make a small user guide in a dedicated tread how to connect the MicroRendu direct to the Qnap by using the virtual switch option.

Makes me also think that an improvement of the SonicTransporter design, could be to add a dedicated Isolated network interface for the MicroRendu. (Use some of the EMO products).