IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 LISTENING IMPRESSIONS thread

I decided to test the different power supplies that I have here feeding the Uptone Regen and the Sonore microRendu. They are: Mean Well switching power supply, rechargeable batteries (link to the 2.5usd case), iFi iPower and Uptone UltraCap LPS-1. I also tested different DC cables between the LPS-1 and the devices: the original 70cm one from LPS-1, a simple 10cm cable, and a direct DC-DC adapter. Shame that I did not have some good 7V linear power supplies here to compare.

DSC_2312_zpsfcdlrbwj.png

I tested both in the main system (Sonore microRendu - Calyx Femto - Wyred 4 Sound STI-500 v2 upgraded - Thiel CS3.7) and in the second system (PC - Uptone Regen - Calyx DAC 24/192 - Burson Conductor V2 - Audeze LCD-XC) and the results were the same.

Overall the differences are subtle, I had to concentrate a lot and listen to the same songs over again. Going straight to the results, the best is the LPS-1, clearly ahead of the group that comes next. These the differences are super subtle, but the best is the iFi, then the batteries and the Mean Well last.

The Mean Well power supply works OK, there is nothing wrong with it. You could live happily with it without having listened to the other ones. Only when you listen to the others that you notice that it is a little lifeless, the background silence is not so great, and focus and textures are not so clear.

The batteries are a super cheap upgrade and worth it because of that. Sound gets a little more relaxed, without changes in tonality, but the background silence improves a little. I did not test how long they last feeding the Regen or microRendu, but I suppose many many hours.

The iFi makes the background silence improve a little more and the tonality seems to me to become a tiny brighter, highlighting the attacks. Focus improves a little, and overall the instruments intelligibility improves a little. Again, this is very subtle between batteries and iFi.

But the LPS-1 is easy to notice that the tonality comes back to normal, with bass especially strong and clear, with maximum background silence and most important, the sound comes alive, very dynamic and high instrument intelligibility. A somewhat expensive upgrade but definitely worth it. And comparing the DC cables going out of the LPS-1 and into the Regen or microRendu, the original 70cm cable seems to blur a tiny bit, the 10cm does not improve much, and I preferred the DC adapter, which seemed to me the cleaner and more dynamic between them. Also worth mentioning that connecting the Regen with the adapter to the LPS-1 is a good stretch, I had to twist the devices upside down, but in the end it fits and does not force cables or connectors, so all good.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

Also, does anyone have a line on the power connectors used in this system (perhaps "better" ones)? I need to make a longer cable to use the short Curious USB cable.

The only "better" 2.1mm barrel connectors I'm aware of are the Oyaide DC-2.1G, however they were always difficult to find in the U.S. and the authorized sellers now say they are discontinued and to be replaced with a newer version at some point by Oyaide, but then no further details for months.

I ordered these from VH Audio after speaking directly with the U.S. importer, he said while he would special order them from Japan, they were a limited production run and never intended for the U.S. market, and would probably vanish quickly.

Looks like that happened, though I'd bet sellers in Japan still have them and you might find those on eBay among a ton of other non-genuine article counterfeits. (hint: if it ships from China its likely a fake).

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

The only "better" 2.1mm barrel connectors I'm aware of are the Oyaide DC-2.1G, however they were always difficult to find in the U.S. and the authorized sellers now say they are discontinued and to be replaced with a newer version at some point by Oyaide, but then no further details for months.

I ordered these from VH Audio after speaking directly with the U.S. importer, he said while he would special order them from Japan, they were a limited production run and never intended for the U.S. market, and would probably vanish quickly.

Looks like that happened, though I'd bet sellers in Japan still have them and you might find those on eBay among a ton of other non-genuine article counterfeits. (hint: if it ships from China its likely a fake).

My understanding is that the Oiyade DC barrel connectors are still made of brass, which makes me doubt the are any better than a decent US sourced connector such as those from Switchcraft. Does anyone know of a DC barrel connector made of copper? Brass is a terrible conductor compared to copper, copper and silver are very close, but brass has double the resistance of copper.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

My understanding is that the Oiyade DC barrel connectors are still made of brass, which makes me doubt the are any better than a decent US sourced connector such as those from Switchcraft. Does anyone know of a DC barrel connector made of copper? Brass is a terrible conductor compared to copper, copper and silver are very close, but brass has double the resistance of copper.

They are brass, albeit gold plated, but certainly suspect at $20 a piece in terms of conductivity. Mechanically they are seemingly machined to a tight tolerance and thus superior to a generic plug, they have a reassuring fit.

Curious why they didn't at least use an electrical grade phosphor bronze, though I can understand why straight copper is probably a little too soft for this application being difficult/expensive to machine without defects at that small a dimension.

Various companies are doing 3.5mm plugs in phosphor bronze now, maybe the forthcoming/rumored new version Oyaide DC plug will be exactly that.

Then again, the 2.1mm jacks on the LPS-1 and microRendu are probably also brass.

Apologies for veering this slightly off-topic.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

Yeah, I just got some nice looking Switchcraft plugs from Mouser, and sourced an Uxcell connector for the back of my HDPlex linear power supply. I have 2 sizes of microphone cable, and will use the bigger if it goes with the Switchcraft ok. I have not checked all this though, as I am helping my son build a BottleHead Tode guitar amplifier currently.

Typical audiophile thing. Oyaide sold them too fast, so change a bit, and charge more!

My switchcraft plugs are tinned "copper alloy" - sounds like another way to say brass...

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

And comparing the DC cables going out of the LPS-1 and into the Regen or microRendu, the original 70cm cable seems to blur a tiny bit, the 10cm does not improve much, and I preferred the DC adapter, which seemed to me the cleaner and more dynamic between them.

While I only used generic plugs and common wire, I can confirm that shorter lengths of wire between the LPS-1 and my USB box make a significant improvement in SQ. It's a bit of a head scratcher, why. An adapter is on the way.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

While I only used generic plugs and common wire, I can confirm that shorter lengths of wire between the LPS-1 and my USB box make a significant improvement in SQ. It's a bit of a head scratcher, why. An adapter is on the way.

DC power supplies are very sensitive to cable length, as the length slows the supply down. In fact, I much prefer onboard supplies in my DIY work for this reason. The closer the supply is to the load, the better the supply will perform.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Hi Barrows, I'm with you. I went from 24 inches to 8 to 4 to 1 inch each with a SQ increase. I'm delighted. Thanks for the explanation.

Interesting. What one inch option are you using? I have the LPS-1 (Sonore/Cardas DC-4) and mRendu but am also thinking of getting the SOtM sMS-2000. Thanks

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

I made a one inch cable.

I'm impressed. I've never attempted to make my own cable and can't imagine me ever attempting to on such a small scale.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

If you want to go that short, then just order one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/2-1mm-5-5mm-power-cable-coupler/dp/B00IYYVF26

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

I'm interested in trying such a coupler. But then I'd need to get a short USB to replace the hard adaptor between the mRendu and my DAC. Can't hang uRendu and the LPS 1 off my DAC safely.

Suggestions for a short USB that's not super expensive welcome! I've seen mixed result on other threads with folks replacing the hard adaptor.

If you want to go that short, then just order one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/2-1mm-5-5mm-power-cable-coupler/dp/B00IYYVF26

That adapter is just cheap. Remember that the plug is the most important part of the cable. DC cables is not excluded. Personally, I just hate to solder those buggers! ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

🎛️  Audio System  

I'm impressed. I've never attempted to make my own cable and can't imagine me ever attempting to on such a small scale.

To confirm I found it is really worth the effort to get the DC cable as short as possible (or ask a friendly diy buddy). I just made a modified USB cable with only the data + and - and cut shielding. The LPS1 is feeding the USB 5v into an Oyaide DC plug which is connected to and close to the USB plug input to my DAC, so less than an inch of wiring. Noticeable uptick in SQ, cleaner punchier bass, deeper wider soundstage, extended and smoother treble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

To confirm I found it is really worth the effort to get the DC cable as short as possible (or ask a friendly diy buddy). I just made a modified USB cable with only the data + and - and cut shielding. The LPS1 is feeding the USB 5v into an Oyaide DC plug which is connected to and close to the USB plug input to my DAC, so less than an inch of wiring. Noticeable uptick in SQ, cleaner punchier bass, deeper wider soundstage, extended and smoother treble.

Did I ever mention that I hate people that can solder Oyaide DC plugs with success? ? I made a mess with mine and was "forced" to buy a longer one from Purefonics. Still waiting for it to arrive to know the actual lenght (but guessing 20-25cm).

🎛️  Audio System  

(but guessing 20-25cm).

looks more about 50cm, sorry :P

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Did I ever mention that I hate people that can solder Oyaide DC plugs with success? ? I made a mess with mine and was "forced" to buy a longer one from Purefonics. Still waiting for it to arrive to know the actual lenght (but guessing 20-25cm).

Cornan I share your frustration, last month I decided to make my own DC cable with the oyaide DC barrels last month. Long story short, I made a mess and ended up taking everything to a professional cable manufacturer to do the job for me. Still, I will learn the basics of soldering and will dive into DIY as I bought the tools.

Cornan I share your frustration, last month I decided to make my own DC cable with the oyaide DC barrels last month. Long story short, I made a mess and ended up taking everything to a professional cable manufacturer to do the job for me. Still, I will learn the basics of soldering and will dive into DIY as I bought the tools.

Thanks for the support moussaobeid! ? Remember NOT to buy your DC cables from me if I of an obscure reason want to go proffesional! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

Thanks for the support moussaobeid! [emoji4] Remember NOT to buy your DC cables from me if I of an obscure reason want to go proffesional! [emoji3]

Understand completely! Almost gave up myself soldering the Oyaide plug but due to holiday downtime, deep breaths, perseverance and luck I somehow managed. The lack of hole in the centre pin to wrap the wire is frustrating. Being able to make a tight physical bond through holes does make soldering and bond much easier imo.

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

Understand completely! Almost gave up myself soldering the Oyaide plug but due to holiday downtime, deep breaths, perseverance and luck I somehow managed. The lack of hole in the centre pin to wrap the wire is frustrating. Being able to make a tight physical bond through holes does make soldering and bond much easier imo.

Thanks for sharing tapatrick! Personally I wish Oyaide will make a mega screw terminal version of their DC G plug. It will be A LOT easier to solder those joints! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

Thanks for sharing tapatrick! Personally I wish Oyaide will make a mega screw terminal version of their DC G plug. It will be A LOT easier to solder those joints! [emoji3]

You are welcome Cornan. Yep I also prefer anything with screw fittings. I've got an RJ45 Ethernet plug with screw fittings waiting for when I can muster the courage to experiment with I2S input to my Dac. This is veering off topic but I will be also using the LPS 1 to power that experiment too.