IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 LISTENING IMPRESSIONS thread

That was fast, thank you! I am assuming that the plugs are 5.5mm x 2.1mm. Are they?

I cannot find that info in their description.

Thanks again.

I think they sort of spring between 2.1 to 2.5mm. I'll see soon enough - figured it was a gamble but if it works should at the very least look nicer between the rendu and LPS if not sound better.

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

OK so my outrageously expensive $6.50 DC to DC adapter plug arrived from Amazon last Friday. This replaced my homemade one inch cable.

After elevating my little USB box to the LPS1 height level the holes lined up and the little adapter plugged right into both devices.

Yet another significant improvement in SQ is gained. Clarity and presence is off the charts with much richer tone and timber.

This little device, and an adjustment to ASIO buffers(8192) and latency settings(low, not minimum) for dsd512 on the microIDSD has taken things to a crazy good level. Indeed it's one of those you've got to listen to every album you own again type tweaks.

Thanks for the advice Alex!

Mine came today. I see an SQ bump too. What a nice little tweak!

Thanks, Alex and Larry!

I just went on Amazon to order the plugs but they were not in stock. They have a 5 pk. of the same adapter so I ended up getting that instead. They are due to arrive this Saturday. Since I only need one, the first four that want to try it out can have for $5.00 ea. including delivery/PayPal via standard US postal. Just send PM me.

These are all sold. TY.

OK so my outrageously expensive $6.50 DC to DC adapter plug arrived from Amazon last Friday. This replaced my homemade one inch cable.

After elevating my little USB box to the LPS1 height level the holes lined up and the little adapter plugged right into both devices. the advice Alex!

I got the Sonore DC4 on Saturday and had a significant improvement to the Teradak + LPS-1 combo.

What did you use to level your two devices? I am using Herbie's baby booties under both the microRendu & the LPS-1: both are too small, (or at least the mRendu), to use rollerblock juniors.

What are you all using to underneath your LPS-1s? Or, is everyone mostly using the stock feet?

stock feet :)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Hi,

I'm using Herbie's Baby Booties on both pieces plus a Herbie's Supersonic Stabilizer for each. It keeps them put where I want them. A great combo at a great price.

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

Hi,

I will be honest. I'd like to say I heard a clear difference. I assembled it all the same day I received the microRendu and again latter when the LPS-1 arrived. I have not removed them to see if I hear a difference. I have used the Supersonic Stabilizer on many of my components and alwYs thought they made things clearer, images more defined etc. When used with Herbie's Tenderfeet in my system the effects multiply. So when I found how light weight both the microRendu and the Lps1 were and that the Ethernet and USB cables would move them around because of there stiffness and not stay flat as I wanted them to in back of my Lampi DAC I felt they would be the perfect solution. Indeed they stay put, stay cool, and free of airborne acoustic vibrations as well as vibrations that might occur through the equipment stands. From past trials I do have confidence in Herbie's products ability to insure the sonic integrity of stereo components so I assumed they would work well and be a great solution to the microRendu and LPS-1. I also use this combo on Ethernet switches, routers, linear power supplies, DACs, crossovers, etc. As I also have several VPI Bricks I sometimes use them instead of the Ultrasonic Stabilizers, but I felt they would probably crush the microRendu and LPS1.

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

Thanks Sgr for your detailed answer. This is helpful to me as I was looking for some kind of weight to stabilize the LPS-1 on the cones as it keeps moving for the slightest move in my cables. I will check the supersonic stabilizer maybe this is what I need. I was also looking at the Shunmook mpingo discs, but I think they are a bit pricey for the application and may not be what I need for stabilization purposes

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Following the success of the male to male DC to DC hard adapter with the LPS-1, I cleaned up the SSD power cable used with my second lps-1. It was made from a SSD power cable for my modular power supply. As such it had power connectors for 4 drives on one end. It occured to me that that extra cable and connectors could make a great antenna sucking up all sorts of noise in the PC case. So I trimmed three connectors off and removed three unused wires. So it's now a two wire, one connector cable.

As before, I had another big SQ increase, this time much more ambient information is being delivered. When the track stops the sound field collapses to the room I'm in rather the the room the track was recorded in. Way cool!

Despite the fact that the DAC is galvanically isolated from the PC/SSD, the impact on SQ is very positive!

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Hi,

I've used the mipingo discs. They are good product if you know how to and have the patience to position them properly. I've heard them make some astounding changes. So they could work but one thing for sure even three mipingo discs would not hold the LPS-1 or the microRendu down like you want them to.

The Ultrasonic Stabilizers will accomplish this. When messing around and repositioning and trying new cables I've thought I'd like more than one so they wouldn't move around at all. Maybe I will try a VPI Brick.

Herbie's Supersonic Stabilizers can be stacked in one position on a component or in groups of two or three. Then you can move them around on the component (simarily to the mpingo discs) (not saying they have the same results as the Shun Mook products. Gotta be careful here.) until you find the best placement.

One good thing about using Supersonic Stabilizers there is not room for multiples as you could only stack them on top of one another. One Stabilizer will almost cover the microRendu and there is not much room left on the LPS-1 either.

I guess if one had a small maple block or myrtle wood blocks to slide under the LPS-1 and microRendu one might squeeze out a bit more performance. System dependent of course.

Maybe someone will invent a mini equipment rack with maple platforms, mini brass cones, and roller bearings to hold microRendus, Regens, LAN Rovers, Ethernet to fiber converters, LPS-1s, etc. Picture it looking like a miniserver tower with all the cables routed behind, and full of little twinkling lights in front.

Wonder how many $$$$$$ that would cost?!

SteVe's V's

Yep, I use Herbies stabilisers, & they are especially useful with light weight items.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

I did take off the stock feet and saved them. I think they might have been a little taller than the booties or close to the same height so off they went!

SteVe's V's

Thanks Sgr for your detailed answer. This is helpful to me as I was looking for some kind of weight to stabilize the LPS-1 on the cones as it keeps moving for the slightest move in my cables. I will check the supersonic stabilizer maybe this is what I need. I was also looking at the Shunmook mpingo discs, but I think they are a bit pricey for the application and may not be what I need for stabilization purposes

I am using a combo of Walker discs and Mapleshade HeavyHat brass cones that I've turned upside down & used Herbie's dots underneath.... I agree about adding weight to the top helps. Also, - I am using ERS paper in a bunch of locations, but not on the microRendu or the LPS-1, but on my F-1 USB to SPDIF converter, & the TP-Link FMCs

I am using a combo of Walker discs and Mapleshade HeavyHat brass cones that I've turned upside down & used Herbie's dots underneath.... I agree about adding weight to the top helps. Also, - I am using ERS paper in a bunch of locations, but not on the microRendu or the LPS-1, but on my F-1 USB to SPDIF converter, & the TP-Link FMCs

Thanks, what's ERS paper?

Thanks, what's ERS paper?

ERS paper is an RF damping material made of paper and carbon fibers coated with metals, available from Stillpoints.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Ah yes. I've done the same with some Mapleshade Heavyhats myself in a few places. Depending on the stiffness of USB and Ethernet cables more or less weight will need to be applied. Otherwise the almost weightless boxes slide around everywhere they are not wanted.

I also have a couple of TP-Link FMCS. I'm powering them with HDPLEX linear power supplies. What did adding the ERS cloth accomplish?

I've experimented with ferrite beads. Placing them on the cable going into the cable modem and on the lines going into and coming out of the router. Placement in those areas seems to make things a little blacker. I've avoided placing them on any cables feeding directly into my system as they can cause roll offs of the high frequencies. Test and listen as you add as just a little bit of ferrite can become too much.

SteVe's V's

I'm sure @Superdad is cracking his moderator's knuckles in preparation to declare this isolation accessory discussion off-topic for LPS-1 listening impressions. Why don't we take it to this thread?

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/overall-isolation-network-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-and-power-29916/

I'm sure @Superdad is cracking his moderator's knuckles in preparation to declare this isolation accessory discussion off-topic for LPS-1 listening impressions. Why don't we take it to this thread?

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/overall-isolation-network-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-and-power-29916/

I answered a question and really have no interest in discussing it further.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos