IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 LISTENING IMPRESSIONS thread

I had the same reaction to the LPS-1 as you did. Remarkable product - especially given the price.

I recently also added a Shunyata Denali D6000/S. This delivered an astounding improvement. You are most likely listening through a lot of noise now - and until you hear it stripped away you won't realize how bad it is. The Denali plus Shunyata cords greatly improved dynamics too.

The LPS-1 has given you a really good taste of what better power can do. Now imagine those benefits multiplied across the rest of your components and dialed up a good amount. That's roughly what you'd get with a Denali.

(I tried a Dectet at one point but thought it did some harm so I sent it back.)

Sorry to go off-topic here, I just thought that since I recently made both moves it might be of value to share this here.

Hey kennyb123

Sorry to go off topic for a sec but what power chord did you use for your Denali. I'm thinking of adding the 2000t to my system

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

As the OP of the "Overall Isolation" thread, I've been discussing my evolving topology over there. Both @Superdad and @JohnSwenson had indicated that, based on my topology, the LPS-1 was the final piece of the puzzle which should give me another quantum jump in SQ.

So it was with great glee and anticipation that I unpacked my LPS-1 last Friday.

Here is a picture of my topology prior to the inclusion of the LPS-1:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30980[/ATTACH]

Swapping in the LPS-1, the new topology looks like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30981[/ATTACH]

Keep in mind that I was already amazed at how good the system was sounding, even before the LPS-1 arrived. If there was "noise," it was not at all apparent. Ever since I added my PS Audio P5 AC regenerator, I have been enjoying the proverbial "black" background.

My initial impression listening to the LPS-1 setup was one of bewilderment. Rather than hearing an improvement, the SQ was... different. There was a softening of the bass, and I could almost convince myself that there was a slight increase in resolution. But - I doubt I could reliably recognize this blind, and the magnitude of this change was very, very small. It was certainly not the the quantum leap that others on this thread have been reporting.

This experience was quite different from what I heard replacing the stock SMPS of the RUR with the el Cheapo Breeze LPS. That resulted in an unmistakable growth in weight, dimension, and image. The bass improvement was quite startling.

Before posting this LPS-1 (non-)finding, I reached out to Alex @Superdad) for any thoughts or ideas. He very graciously called me, and we had a long discussion. Clearly, in my system the effect of leakage loops was already very small, so the improvement due to the LPS-1's isolation was modest in effect.

After we hung up, I tried another configuration, where I used a Teradak USB power injection cable to inject 5V from the LPS-1 to my DAC.

Now THAT was better. The improvements were small but significant. Most important, they were in the right direction! Mostly, there seems to be more air between instruments, and a better sense of texture.

So in summary - my findings are somewhat less stark than many others, but keep in mind I have done a lot of isolation already, so in hindsight, it was probably unrealistic to expect a whole lot more.

For reference, here is the final configuration of my system. I just laugh at the number of tweaks and PSes I have, but then I marvel at the SQ I am enjoying. :)

Hopefully soon, the clever boys and gals at Sonore, Uptone, iFi, W4S, etc will invent the ultimate solution where you just plugin a Cat6 and/or a USB cable. Remember those days?! :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30982[/ATTACH]

Is the conclusion that the lps-1 provides the vast majority of the isolation that the many parts and connections otherwise provide? Good to know since I've been planning many of those parts and connections. FYI I too just put the Lps-1 between my Hdplex and mR and have been astounded by the improvement. PSAudio DS to CJ ART amps to amphion 7L.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

My friend borrow my LPS-1, so that's why I'm saying this. It also make sense that your PS have a positive impact.

I'm looking forward to hear your results of the different planed tests.

Bypassing the switch and your Qnap directly is very interesting.

(Use some of the EMO products).

Hiya,

Yes, It's been fun putting in the Fiber. I do have some reluctance to messing with my QNAP as it is shared with my downstairs neighbor and he's connecting to it with 3 devices, and I'm connecting to it with 4. I don't want to break it. I have good backups, - but I am a bit of newbie navigating around the QNAP OS. The Virtual switch wasn't available until the recent release of 4.2.1 update.

Right now, - I have both Ethernet ports connected, and load balanced into the switch. But yes, - the plan is to pull the upstairs switch, - and run the QNAP Directly to the basement switch, and then Ethernet port 2 into the mRendu.

Cheers,

Is the conclusion that the lps-1 provides the vast majority of the isolation that the many parts and connections otherwise provide? Good to know since I've been planning many of those parts and connections. FYI I too just put the Lps-1 between my Hdplex and mR and have been astounded by the improvement. PSAudio DS to CJ ART amps to amphion 7L.

Can't say yet.

The only thing I am seeing from my own experience is that the effect of all tweaks (isolation, reclocking, better PS, etc) together is not equal to the sum of the effect of each tweak (at the time you added that tweak).

Some tweaks have more of an effect if another is absent, and less so if the other is present.

Don't assume you'll hear the same magnitude of improvement as anyone else. Someone may marvel how tweak X transformed their system, while you may hear only a modest gain, because you already have N other tweaks in place.

Consider it the price of entry into tweak-world. :)

It works at 5 volts too.

From the UltraCap LPS-1 website:

"As indicated above, the AC>DC charging supply must be in the range of 7.5V to 12V, it must be capable of the currents mentioned—even if the output load on the LPS-1 is going to be light—and it must be a regulated supply."

We only just finished off that first jug of Vermont's finest (maple syrup) you sent me a year ago. Otherwise I'd offer to trade you for a case of it. Sweet sounds, even sweeter tree nectar! ;)

I hope John enjoyed it as much as you did. The Regen was well worth it and I'm sure the same holds true for the UltraCap LPS-1.

Hey kennyb123

Sorry to go off topic for a sec but what power chord did you use for your Denali. I'm thinking of adding the 2000t to my system

The 20 amp version of the Shunyata Alpha HC, as recommended by Grant at Shunyata. Alpha HC cords also feed my preamp and amp.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

After the success of the LPS1 powering my IFI microIDSD DAC, a second LPS1 was ordered and arrived yesterday. This was used to enhance the Sigma 11 based external power supply for my SSD boot drive.

Wow, I am surprised and impressed at the size of the improvement in SQ. I'll skip the audiophile review and just say thanks again to Alex and John for their amazing technology and the musical enjoyment it brings.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Wow, I am surprised and impressed at the size of the improvement in SQ. I'll skip the audiophile review ... and the musical enjoyment it brings.

But we'd sure like to know more details! :D

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Wow, I am surprised and impressed at the size of the improvement in SQ. I'll skip the audiophile review and just say thanks again to Alex and John for their amazing technology and the musical enjoyment it brings.

Oh you are too kind Larry. Two kind of what, I won't say! ;)

BTW, the last 75 units promised for December 9th shipping (about the same number went out early last week as well) will be shipping tomorrow (Wednesday). We really like getting products out to everyone at least a couple of days ahead of the promised date. :)

And tomorrow afternoon we'll start work on the really big batch pre-ordered for shipment by the 21st.

I'm guessing there are only about 35 more units available for shipment by the 21st. I'm sure by this weekend I'll close that group by posting a new, January-promise date for further orders. We have plenty of boards and cases, but we can only flash/test/assemble/ship so many per week, and with the holidays coming...

So I recommend folks get their orders in soon; and get in on the UltraCap LPS-1 fun!

Thanks everyone.

--Alex C.

But we'd sure like to know more details! :D

OK YashN, here goes:

In combination with the first, the second LPS1 powering the boot SSD on my I7 6700k machine results in an image with a solidity, dimensionality and cohesion I have never heard before, while being somehow smoother and more natural sounding at the same time.

Recently, I found a previously unknown (to me) Eva Cassidy album called Imagine on Tidal. There is a live track called "You've changed" and hearing this with the second LPS1, I am transported to the recording session. It's a little freaky. This woman could sing! I can hear the whole room reverberate with her voice.

All of this from a used $350 IFI microIDSD, also powered by an LPS1, playing at DSD 512.

I feel like the bottom of the CA bottomless pit is getting very close.

Larry

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

OK YashN, here goes:

In combination with the first, the second LPS1 powering the boot SSD on my I7 6700k machine results in an image with a solidity, dimensionality and cohesion I have never heard before, while being somehow smoother and more natural sounding at the same time.

Recently, I found a previously unknown (to me) Eva Cassidy album called Imagine on Tidal. There is a live track called "You've changed" and hearing this with the second LPS1, I am transported to the recording session. It's a little freaky. This woman could sing! I can hear the whole room reverberate with her voice.

All of this from a used $350 IFI microIDSD, also powered by an LPS1, playing at DSD 512.

Larry

Lol, you may be surprised how deep it maybe!

Hi Alex,

I received my LPS1. I decided to power my 5 port switch as a first experiment. Well experiments stopped there. To move it to another component would be a step backwards in my system (I have to get another). It made music (& vocals) more focused with better detail. I didn't realize music was out of focus until installing the LPS1. I have a Zyxel 5v switch connecting a 2012 mini and a MicroRendu with Audioquest Vodka cables. I am using a PH SR3-9 to power the LPS1.

I just waned to say thanks for a great product. [TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl65, width: 233][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

OK YashN, here goes: In combination with the first, the second LPS1 powering the boot SSD on my I7 6700k machine results in an image with a solidity, dimensionality and cohesion I have never heard before, while being somehow smoother and more natural sounding at the same time.

It's a little freaky. This woman could sing! I can hear the whole room reverberate with her voice.

Thanks a lot, Larry. Yes she had a purity in her voice and intention.

The bottomless pit is actually a Moëbius strip built with chains, we're trapped ;)

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels