IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 LISTENING IMPRESSIONS thread

As the OP of the "Overall Isolation" thread, I've been discussing my evolving topology over there. Both @Superdad and @JohnSwenson had indicated that, based on my topology, the LPS-1 was the final piece of the puzzle which should give me another quantum jump in SQ.

So it was with great glee and anticipation that I unpacked my LPS-1 last Friday.

Here is a picture of my topology prior to the inclusion of the LPS-1:

Picture1.png

Swapping in the LPS-1, the new topology looks like this:

Picture2.png

Keep in mind that I was already amazed at how good the system was sounding, even before the LPS-1 arrived. If there was "noise," it was not at all apparent. Ever since I added my PS Audio P5 AC regenerator, I have been enjoying the proverbial "black" background.

My initial impression listening to the LPS-1 setup was one of bewilderment. Rather than hearing an improvement, the SQ was... different. There was a softening of the bass, and I could almost convince myself that there was a slight increase in resolution. But - I doubt I could reliably recognize this blind, and the magnitude of this change was very, very small. It was certainly not the the quantum leap that others on this thread have been reporting.

This experience was quite different from what I heard replacing the stock SMPS of the RUR with the el Cheapo Breeze LPS. That resulted in an unmistakable growth in weight, dimension, and image. The bass improvement was quite startling.

Before posting this LPS-1 (non-)finding, I reached out to Alex @Superdad) for any thoughts or ideas. He very graciously called me, and we had a long discussion. Clearly, in my system the effect of leakage loops was already very small, so the improvement due to the LPS-1's isolation was modest in effect.

After we hung up, I tried another configuration, where I used a Teradak USB power injection cable to inject 5V from the LPS-1 to my DAC.

Now THAT was better. The improvements were small but significant. Most important, they were in the right direction! Mostly, there seems to be more air between instruments, and a better sense of texture.

So in summary - my findings are somewhat less stark than many others, but keep in mind I have done a lot of isolation already, so in hindsight, it was probably unrealistic to expect a whole lot more.

For reference, here is the final configuration of my system. I just laugh at the number of tweaks and PSes I have, but then I marvel at the SQ I am enjoying. :)

Hopefully soon, the clever boys and gals at Sonore, Uptone, iFi, W4S, etc will invent the ultimate solution where you just plugin a Cat6 and/or a USB cable. Remember those days?! :)

Picture3.png

Well, YMMV, but I did find it to be a massive improvement in my system. However, the benefits were different in character. The HDPlex brought out a lot more natural body and realism to the music compared to a cheap SMPS, the iFi, or even the El Cheapo LPS. What the Uptone LPS-1 did was retain all that natural realism, and then really tightened up the bass, opened up the soundstage with a lot more air and space, and really increased instrumental separation, plus a touch more natural tone/body as well. So, it's a bit apples/oranges to say they have the same level of effect, but my impression is it's in the same ballpark of magnitude - in my system and my ears.

I also upgraded from an HDPlex to the LPS-1. Genjamon's post is an excellent and accurate characterization of the difference.

I am on the 2nd batches of LPS-1 and I must say the shipping has been very smooth for me. Thanks Alex and the team for the excellent job, really appreciated!

I have been using the LPS-1 to power USB REGEN for a week now, I have to admit that it is not as a big WOW as my first upgrade to USB REGEN. I have no mRendu to try since I am using Aurender as source. Hopefully it is because my system already have liitle room to improve xD

Rajiv, have you tried pulling the Intona and RUR? You could use the split lightspeed cable to power the codex from the lps1, with the data end in the Aries mini.

You may be surprised with the results.

Thanks Larry.

I have my hands full with guests this weekend, but this goes on the list for me to try, in addition to trying the LPS-1 to power the downstream FMC.

Sometime in the next few weeks, I intend to pull all my isolation tweaks out and reapply them methodically, to see which of them still make an impact.

As the OP of the "Overall Isolation" thread, I've been discussing my evolving topology over there. Both @Superdad and @JohnSwenson had indicated that, based on my topology, the LPS-1 was the final piece of the puzzle which should give me another quantum jump in SQ.

Very cool. Why don't you additionally try replacing the Meanwell by another LPS?

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Very cool. Why don't you additionally try replacing the Meanwell by another LPS?

Another thing to try is to plug the Meanwell AND the upstream FMC's power supply into an outlet on another AC circuit than that your P5 is plugged into. Since both the downstream FMC and the LPS-1's energizing supply are galvanically isolated from the other gear, that would minimize sharing of AC-coupled noise from those units into the other gear powered by your P5... and it won't cause leakage loop issues either due to the isolation.

Do that and retry the two LPS-1 configs you've already posted. Curious how it will work for you, works well for my setup with a P10.

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

I know you "Meanwell" (hey, someone had to go there!), but isn't the whole point of the LPS-1 to be indifferent to the energizing supply? :)

Yes, it is. And it is.

And much further discussion of the topic here will result in all those posts being moved (banished? ;)) to the thread:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/discussions-alternate-energizing-charging-ps-units-use-ultracap-linear-power-supply-1-not-any-will-make-any-difference-output-30026/

I know you "Meanwell" (hey, someone had to go there!), but isn't the whole point of the LPS-1 to be indifferent to the energizing supply? :)

And to my ear, the LPS-1 IS indifferent to the energizing supply. In my setup I have powered my LPS-1s from the stock Meanwells and a couple of different DIY linear supplies, with no change in sound quality. OTOH, I could induce noise in my setup with the Meanwells plugged into the same outlet as my P10 (and because of that I never tried the Meanwells plugged into my P10 output).

OTOH, your other gear may not be immune to noise and the dreaded 'leakage loops' through the AC connection. Yup, the P5 will help, but in my experience my P10s are not panaceas.

Since you already have several of levels of isolation with the FMCs, the transformers on the FMC Ethernet cable output and Ethernet cable input to your Aries (I forgot to mention these above) and the Intona, moving the PSs of the downstream FMC AND the Meanwell on the LPS-1 to an outlet outside of your P5, best case on a separate breaker, will minimize any noise from them being fed back into the PSs of your core audio gear with no 'leakage loop' issues due to the isolation provided by the Intona.

In my I2S-fed instead of USB-fed setups, I generally get slightly better SQ by feeding the downstream FMC and R-Pis (my equivalent of your downstream FMC and Aries Mini) from the same outlet that system's P10 is plugged into, not from the P10's output. This position is clearly better in my setup than on a separate AC circuit, BUT I currently don't have an I2S signal feed isolation board (the equivalent of your Intona).

I EAGERLY AWAIT two new boards designed to do that, one from Ian Canada on DIYAudio and the other from Allo.com, the people who make the Kali R-Pi Reclocker (my I2S setup's equivalent of your W4S Recovery) that works so well with my lower-end R-Pi DAC Hats. After I have those isolator boards in hand, I will try running my downstream FMC, R-Pi, and input side of the isolator board from the separate AC spur I use for my source computer and networking gear with the hope that might even be a bit better.

But you have the Intona in place, so you can try it now.

My philosophy is that if it is before isolation, get it off my core AC power feed, for my system, the P10, for yours, the P5.

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. Sorry Alex for a little mention of alternative energizing supplies. BUT most of my post is about an alternative configuration for Rajiv's setup that MIGHT work better.

Everything Matters!

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

Happy to cut you extra slack Greg as your posts are always so interesting. :)

You are too kind, Alex. Most say TMI or just too danged long!!!

Hi @gstew - let's move this discussion over to the Overall Isolation thread, shall we?

Makes perfect sense Rajiv. Alex, can you do the honors?

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

I know what you mean, well what about the Leakage Currents that the Meanwell creates for other devices through the Mains?

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Just received the LPS-1's. First test (most critical stage in my system) remove the HDPlex 5V feeding my PPA V2 USB card which in turns feeds my Intona via 5Vbus through a USB adapter. Had to modify the supplied chord from Uptone 2.1mm, which did not fit my CAPS casing 2.1mm inputs. Slightly different (Note, the Uptone 2.1mm supplied chord does fit the Regen). Oh well, easy to fix with a little soldering.

Initial impression upon listening through my normal test tracks. Another veil has been lifted, all around, mids, lows and highs. Can hear more detail. A much better all around balance. I'll get around to further tests and adding of the other LPS-1 after getting acquainted with the new sound.

The LPS-1 definitely bests the HDPlex 100W LPS.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Hi @gstew - let's move this discussion over to the Overall Isolation thread, shall we?

Go ahead.

Makes perfect sense Rajiv. Alex, can you do the honors?

The forum system won't allow me to move posts to threads outside of my sponsored forum.

I know what you mean, well what about the Leakage Currents that the Meanwell creates for other devices through the Mains?

We have explained this many times: AC leakage current from a power supply flows over the DC output--but when charging an LPS-1 that is 100% blocked. An SMPS does not put leakage current back into the wall or affect other devices if its DC output is not hooked to anything that can complete a "leakage loop."

Just received the LPS-1's. First test (most critical stage in my system) remove the HDPlex 5V feeding my PPA V2 USB card which in turns feeds my Intona via 5Vbus through a USB adapter. Had to modify the supplied chord from Uptone 2.1mm, which did not fit my CAPS casing 2.1mm inputs. Slightly different (Note, the Uptone 2.1mm supplied chord does fit the Regen). Oh well, easy to fix with a little soldering.

Initial impression upon listening through my normal test tracks. Another veil has been lifted, all around, mids, lows and highs. Can hear more detail. A much better all around balance. I'll get around to further tests and adding of the other LPS-1 after getting acquainted with the new sound.

The LPS-1 definitely bests the HDPlex 100W LPS.

That's great. Really glad to hear you are enjoying it in your system already! :)

Today I received my LPS-1 for use with the Microrendu. The usb is connected to the Singxer F1 from there to my Kii three active loudspeakers.

It's my complete new audio setup, where the innovative Kii three and the streaming audio products like the LPS-1 and the Microrendu come together.

I used a battery (NiMh) setup before the LPS-1 came here today, after connecting the new power supply I was really excited. It's a far more natural sound, the high frequencies are beautiful and clear but also low freq is better in control.

Soundstage is really insane, there is much more detail and depth its just crazy.

Streaming audio is making big steps now,it's giving more detail and natural sound then I could ever expect.

Thanks Alex, great work!

Kii Three / Kii Control / Lush 3 Uptone Iso Regen-Farad super 3 / OpticalRendu Farad super 3 / Etherregen / Roon Rock-Farad super 3

<SNIP>

The forum system won't allow me to move posts to threads outside of my sponsored forum.

<SNIP>

We have explained this many times: AC leakage current from a power supply flows over the DC output--but when charging an LPS-1 that is 100% blocked. An SMPS does not put leakage current back into the wall or affect other devices if its DC output is not hooked to anything that can complete a "leakage loop."

Thanks for both reminders.

In my suggestion for Rajiv to try plugging the Meanwell energizing his LPS-1 to a AC outlet other than that on his P5, I should have only referenced noise fed back into the AC line... learning this new paradigm oh-so-slowly (I claim advanced age!).

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. I do hope you get that I find the LPS-1 a remarkable device with wondrous possibilities. While I have found it to work VERY well in powering digital signal interfaces, I'm seeing a LOT more possibilities in powering my DIY DACs from these. I'm feverously working on the appropriate adapters to use them on my higher-quality units... I'm hopeful I'lll get as significant of a lift in SQ with my Soekris setups and someday to be running Buffalo DACs as I did with my budget units.

Everything Matters!

It's a third day since I have LPS-1 powering Regen in my chain. Before that I've written to Alex from UpTone, that I'm not sure if I want to keep Regen. Its influence over SQ was not in all aspects good. Since I got LPS-1, Regens place in my chain is 100% guaranteed. Big difference ! Watch out over polarization of your mainwell powercable powering LPS-1. In one position the source placement seemed to be floating, in other - all is ok! And yes, it's official, Regen does it's best when placed just before DAC. I've also tried Vbus2 between Regen and hard adapter (as my DAC doesn't need USB power), but found it disturbing SQ.

It's a third day when I have LPS-1 powering Regen in my chain. Before that I've written to Alex from UpTone, that I'm not sure if I want to keep Regen. Its influence over SQ was not in all aspects good. Since I got LPS-1, Regens place in my chain is 100% guaranteed. Big difference ! Watch out over polarization of your mainwell powercable powering LPS-1. In one position the source placement seemed to be floating, in other - all is ok! And yes, it's official, Regen does it's best when placed just before DAC. I've also tried Vbus2 between Regen and hard adapter (as my DAC doesn't need USB power), but found it disturbing SQ.

Well you strike me as a curious mind...since you explore the ground enhancers. Why stop now? There IS a obviois reason why the shielded Vbus2 does'nt improve your setup! You just have to collect some more knowledge. Stay curious and read about shielding and what it is suppose to cure and try to understand what a shield is trying to remove. Tip! Everything that is drained to safety ground will sooner or later find its way back into your audio gears.

Another tip. The digital chain is communicating with the analogue chain via power and ground....but good constructed DACs only communicate via ground...but only for a split second. Mind your DAC if you want the best SQ!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

🎛️  Audio System  

It's a third day since I have LPS-1 powering Regen in my chain. Before that I've written to Alex from UpTone, that I'm not sure if I want to keep Regen. Its influence over SQ was not in all aspects good. Since I got LPS-1, Regens place in my chain is 100% guaranteed. Big difference ! Watch out over polarization of your mainwell powercable powering LPS-1. In one position the source placement seemed to be floating, in other - all is ok! And yes, it's official, Regen does it's best when placed just before DAC. I've also tried Vbus2 between Regen and hard adapter (as my DAC doesn't need USB power), but found it disturbing SQ.

Makes more sense to disable the 5Vbus from the hard adapter by removing the pin, tape over to test first. I don't like unnecessary cables or devices in my system flow. I found that manually disconnecting the USB ground (cable shielding removed), after handshake, does nothing for SQ. So I leave it connected.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Makes more sense to disable the 5Vbus from the hard adapter by removing the pin, tape over to test first. I don't like unnecessary cables or devices in my system flow. I found that manually disconnecting the USB ground (cable shielding removed), after handshake, does nothing for SQ. So I leave it connected.
Wow! So, are you saying IF you DAC requires ONLY requires the handshake, THEN leaving the 5v leg operational makes no difference versus "disconnecting" the 5v leg?

I think this is what Alex suggested to me in a PM, but I've never read about anyone comparing w/w/o 5v and finding no difference. Thanks for sharing.

Wow! So, are you saying IF you DAC requires ONLY requires the handshake, THEN leaving the 5v leg operational makes no difference versus "disconnecting" the 5v leg?

I think this is what Alex suggested to me in a PM, but I've never read about anyone comparing w/w/o 5v and finding no difference. Thanks for sharing.

Nope, definitely disconnect the 5Vbus if not needed. Handshake comes from the ground not the 5Vbus.

Note: Some DAC's do require to be flashed the 5Vbus but not powered.