IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

The usb as an audio interface has been notorious (and one of the primary reason why we have a microRendu in the first place) AND there are many DAC designers who believe DSD sounds worse than PCM (debatable though). Berkeley made an intelligent choice and got rid of both in order to scale the DAC’s standalone performance :)

I have no doubt that the Berkeley DAC is a superb instrument, but if what I'm hearing from my Lampizator DSD-Only DAC, being driven by upsampled HQPlayer through USB via the microRendu is what they call "worse", then they have my heartfelt congratulations. :)

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

I have no doubt that the Berkeley DAC is a superb instrument, but if what I'm hearing from my Lampizator DSD-Only DAC, being driven by upsampled HQPlayer through USB via the microRendu is what they call "worse", then they have my heartfelt congratulations. :)

Since mrendu arrived I am impressed with the quality of what I em getting from my Lampi B7. HQPlayer upsampling to DSD128. Amazing.

Audio system: APL Streamer-> APL DSD-MR MK2 DAC -> Audiopax Maggiore L50 Pre and M100 Monoblocks -> Tidal Contriva G2 speakers

The usb as an audio interface has been notorious (and one of the primary reason why we have a microRendu in the first place) AND there are many DAC designers who believe DSD sounds worse than PCM (debatable though). Berkeley made an intelligent choice and got rid of both in order to scale the DAC’s standalone performance :)

You've stated very well why I questioned the use of this particular DAC in a review of the microRendu.

You've stated very well why I questioned the use of this particular DAC in a review of the microRendu.

You bring up a good point. If I were to guess (and Chris can correct it), the microRendu is improving the performance of the Alpha USB DDC which in turn is improving the performance of the DAC indirectly. So in effect, it did improve the performance of the Berkeley DAC, which was the purpose of microRendu.

You bring up a good point. If I were to guess (and Chris can correct it), the microRendu is improving the performance of the Alpha USB DDC which in turn is improving the performance of the DAC indirectly. So in effect, it did improve the performance of the Berkeley DAC, which was the purpose of microRendu.

A review is, or should be, an experiment with controls and a single variable. I know this qualifies, but why insert something that the vast majority of users will not have as part of their signal chain? This design is unnecessarily complicated and makes it less useful.

A review is, or should be, an experiment with controls and a single variable. I know this qualifies, but why insert something that the vast majority of users will not have as part of their signal chain? This design is unnecessarily complicated and makes it less useful.

Thanks for your views on what a review should be. If I were to limit my reviews to using equipment the vast majority of have, I'd be reviewing nothing. CA readers have so many different configurations it's crazy. Keep in mind that less than 1% of the readership posts comments on the site.

Maybe more readers should have USB to AES converters. Calling their use unnecessary and more complicated is strange to me. They are simple to use and give me the best sound I've ever heard. Audiophiles go to great lengths for sound quality, this is something that's pretty dang easy.

That said, this method isn't for everyone.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Thanks for your views on what a review should be. If I were to limit my reviews to using equipment the vast majority of have, I'd be reviewing nothing. CA readers have so many different configurations it's crazy. Keep in mind that less than 1% of the readership posts comments on the site.

Maybe more readers should have USB to AES converters. Calling their use unnecessary and more complicated is strange to me. They are simple to use and give me the best sound I've ever heard. Audiophiles go to great lengths for

sound quality, this is something that's pretty dang easy.

That said, this method isn't for everyone.

Question(s) please: Have you chosen not to listen to DSD files as DSD, or possibly no DSD files at all?

Does the same go for DXD files and 24/384? Maybe I'm missing something.

Question(s) please: Have you chosen not to listen to DSD files as DSD, or possibly no DSD files at all?

Does the same go for DXD files and 24/384? Maybe I'm missing something.

I listen to absolutely everything.

99.9% of my favorite music is in PCM. I have no music that I listen to for enjoyment that is DXD, but I have it and listen to it on occasion.

I have hundreds of DSD albums. Absolutely zero of these albums originated as DSD recordings. I just haven't found a single direct to DSD recording that's enjoyable to me. Many other CA readers have though. When playing DSD, there is a strong argument for converting it back to PCM in the digital domain. This is what Berkeley owners do.

There is also a strong argument to be made for converting everything to high rate DSD.

I Have about a dozen DACs on hand now that play DSD as DSD and I use these DACs daily. Again, I listen to everything. I have to to really understand how everything works and sounds.

I don't judge what anyone else does or enjoys, but I seek to understand why they do it and enjoy it. I'm constantly seeking to learn about everything and perhaps 1% of the time be able to offer an opinion that may help educate someone else. When someone says a DAC lacking DSD and USB is a no-go, I seek to understand why. Nobody needs to justify anything to me, but I really appreciate learning why they think what they think.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

99.9% of my favorite music is in PCM. I have no music that I listen to for enjoyment that is DXD, but I have it and listen to it on occasion.

I have hundreds of DSD albums. Absolutely zero of these albums originated as DSD recordings. I just haven't found a single direct to DSD recording that's enjoyable to me. Many other CA readers have though. When playing DSD, there is a strong argument for converting it back to PCM in the digital domain. This is what Berkeley owners do.

There is also a strong argument to be made for converting everything to high rate DSD.

I Have about a dozen DACs on hand now that play DSD as DSD and I use these DACs daily. Again, I listen to everything. I have to to really understand how everything works and sounds.

I don't judge what anyone else does or enjoys, but I seek to understand why they do it and enjoy it. I'm constantly seeking to learn about everything and perhaps 1% of the time be able to offer an opinion that may help educate someone else. When someone says a DAC lacking DSD and USB is a no-go, I seek to understand why. Nobody needs to justify anything to me, but I really appreciate learning why they think what they think.

+1

FWIW, this forum and Chris' contributions have been very useful to me personally in my quest, which seems endless sometimes, to obtain better sound quality in my music room. As far as I'm concerned, this forum provides the best opportunity to hear from folks that are pushing the envelope on what is possible with digital music reproduction. And I for one am very grateful for the opportunity that this forum provides to listen to all the contributing voices, and to make up my own mind on what path I wish to pursue. It doesn't always pay off, but I can honestly say, that my system would not sound anywhere nearly as good as it does now, without the input from the various contributors to this forum. There is sometimes value to keeping an open mind. As a good friend of mine is fond of saying: "if you're not careful, you might learn something!"

I have a customer that reported that Reboot and Power Down were switched. I could not reproduce it so I dismissed it. Use Power Down and see if it comes up after a minute?

I'm also seeing this problem, even after running a full update and reboot cycle.

When I use 'Reboot' the unit seems to switch off completely within a few seconds (no amber light on the ethernet port). I've waited for up to two minutes and it never powered back on. So 'Reboot' seems to be like a power off command.

When I try Power Off, the unit is no longer visible on the network, but the amber light on the ethernet port still flashes. I've waited up to two minutes and it doesn't re-appear on my network. So this seems to neither shutdown nor reboot the unit.

Could be operator error on my part, but I've tried this multiple times with the same result.

I mostly want to power down the unit when I move it between rooms. I think I'll use Reboot since this seems to shut the unit off completely.

Well, then I'm a bit confused.

I'm trying to understand if the mR works well with an USB-SPDIF converter, as I thaught the mR was intended to be used with a USB DAC. (Only ?)

Do you have any idea if an Berkely or hiFace or any converter will affect the SQ ?

Did you test a DAC by using both the USB directly from mR, and then the SPDIF by inserting a converter.

I'm asking cause my Theta Genneration VIII does not have a USB input, and will probably never have. And since I own a hiFace Evo, with clock and power, I was hoping the mR may sound better than my Squeezebox Touch.

So I'm seeking some advice before buying.

I use a Berkeley Alpha USB to digital converter with a Microrendu and it sounds marvelous! I have a Theta Casablanca IV SSP and 3 Theta Gen VIII Series 3 DACs! The Berkeley Alpha USB simply works and sounds fantastic _ a few years back there was a great review in Widescreen Review on this which went into great objective detail on this.

Chris used his reference setup (Berkeley Alpha + Reference DAC); makes a lot of sense, as that is his best basis for comparison.

He also, as noted, used several other DACS which do have USB input.

Sounds like a pretty comprehensive way to review to me.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On of the hot topics here in CA is the hqplayer upsampling&conversion to DSM...since you have access to some of those DSD capable DACs, even if not your reference system, it would make sense to some of us that follow the subject, to have you also review the mR in that scenario.

Certainly I am not putting any pressure, this is just a note in the "wish list"...

I also been late to USB, since in my previous tests the result was not compelling enough to move from my SPDIF-fuelled DAC.

But I am open to change and willing to tests if SDM converted by HQPlayer makes sense...sonically...

It's not about the DSD as a source, is about DSD(SDM) as an enabler of better sound in some DAC's...

What is the max current draw for the microrendu? I am looking into power supply options...

There is an entire thread dedicated to microRendu power supply options and experiences. As per the website it is 6-9V at 1 amp minimum.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonore-microrendu-power-supply-unit-observations-considerations-and-commentary-28480/

Thanks for the info and explanation, Chris.

I understand things much better because of it.

Appreciate your efforts.

Thanks. No time to run for president...to busy working on a new feature for the microRendu:)

Jesus, how about working with Damien to get an A+ component similar to HQPlayer NAA on the micro rendu. That would extend your potential market to the entire A+ install base.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

It's not up to me....email him.

I've done that. Obviously, Damien has to believe in the business case and take the initiative. I think it's an opportunity for both of you.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

First time poster, so please forgive me if my questions (which are very basic) have already been answered in this rather lengthy thread.

I am currently using a Mac Mini with Power Supply from Core Audio Technology, running Roon, feeding (via USB) an EMM Labs DAC2x. I do not currently have a NAS; my backup is a USB external hard drive, with automatic backup via Apple's Time machine.

Based on what I've read, it is my belief (and hope) that I can improve the sound by switching to a microRendu. My questions are as follows:

1. Is it reasonable to expect that the addition of a microRendu will improve the sound?

2. Assuming the answer to question 1 is in the affirmative, can I use the Mac mini (which is connected to my Network) to run Roon?

3. Would if be beneficial (sonically speaking) to replace the Mac mini with a Sonic transporter? Or better yet I suppose, a Sonic transporter AP?

4. Is there any advantage to my getting a NAS? If so, is the Synology DS216+ II a reasonable choice?

Thank in advance for your assistance and again, my apologies for asking questions that have probably been discussed ad nauseum.

Regards,

Larry