IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

We found the issue:

Please follow this upgrade procedure:

1. Go to Apps and select Software Manager

2. Now select Update

3. Wait for "Back to main menu" to appear at the bottom of the screen and ignore any Complete notices

4. Power cycle the DAC and microRendu and wait for the 88.2 to show on the display

Thanks Jesus.

Right after this update procedure, 88.2 appears on Mytek.

However there is now another problem. The streaming does not play to Mytek.

Mytek shows 88.2 always and cannot sync (Mytek "internal sync") any song. I have tried minimserver with Kinsky control, as well as Audiostation from NAS, the player just briefly showed the "play" sign then "stop". I have also tried another USB DAC (hiface2) which is the same problem.

In microRendu setup, i have confirmed MPD/DLNA mode.

Mytek version is the latest v1.8.3

DAC Diagnostics

USB output

DAC description: Mytek Stereo192-DSD USB2

Diagnostic information for this DAC

UNKNOWN

Status: Unknown (status not available when device is not playing)

Custom DAC settings

DAC name Special DAC

Name of the custom DAC

DAC audio device hw:0,0

Audio device for this DAC (from the list below) ex. hw:0,0

Audio device list

0) Digital alsa audio output interface `hw:0,0'

- device name = Mytek Stereo192-DSD USB2

- interface name = Mytek USB2

- usb audio class = (n/a)

- character device = /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p

- encoding formats = S24_LE, S32_LE

- monitor file = /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params

- stream file = (n/a)

Have i done this new SW update correctly?

BTW, another question, for dsf/dff streaming from minimserver, should i put dff:dopwav and dsf:dopwav in minimserver setting? Because i recall that it was not very successful to play it through DLNA to microRendu which is set also with DoP to Mytek before.

Thanks for your help again.

Thanks. I do know I can set this up. It is as simple as plugging in an Airport Express, configuring it in client mode, and running an ethernet cable from the AE to the rendu. My question is more "how will it sound?" or "Is there any reason this would sound different or worse than an all-ethernet setup?"

There is no inherent SQ difference going WiFi or not. BUT many network boxes come with particularly bad SMPS power supplies which send all kinds of garbage back into the AC mains wiring. In the case of a WiFi bridge, it is usually very close to the rest of the audio equipment so any noise from its PS can cause SQ problems with other audio equipment.

So it comes down to not so much WiFi per se but a potentially nasty SMPS right next to your other audio equipment. I have NO IDEA about the quality of the PS in that AE you wish to use, it may be fine, it may not be, others who have experience with that model might jump in.

John S.

I have the rendu hooked up in my office system, and I think it sounds great. I would like to use it in my home system, but the house has only a wifi network, no ethernet whatsoever. My idea is to use an Airport Express or other wireless bridge to connect the Micro Rendu to the network. Is there any reason not to do this? Is there any reason to believe that wireless transmission of digital audio is any worse sounding than ethernet transmission of same (ignoring for the moment the issue of dropouts)? Intuitively one could imagine an argument that wifi transmisison was better for digital audio, since it allows one to bypass the imperfections of a physical medium like cable. But really, ethernet just is not an option for me. I sense that Sonore is hostile to such an implementation, but I don't really understand why.

My apologies if this topic was discussed somehwere in the 100-page long thread ;-)

Sonore is not against WiFi, the issue is using the microRendu without any form of internet connection available at all. It certainly can be done, but it makes things much more complicated, which takes away from the simplicity of the system and makes support much more difficult.

John S.

Thanks Jesus.

Right after this update procedure, 88.2 appears on Mytek.

However there is now another problem. The streaming does not play to Mytek.

Mytek shows 88.2 always and cannot sync (Mytek "internal sync") any song. I have tried minimserver with Kinsky control, as well as Audiostation from NAS, the player just briefly showed the "play" sign then "stop". I have also tried another USB DAC (hiface2) which is the same problem.

In microRendu setup, i have confirmed MPD/DLNA mode.

Mytek version is the latest v1.8.3

DAC Diagnostics

USB output

DAC description: Mytek Stereo192-DSD USB2

Diagnostic information for this DAC

UNKNOWN

Status: Unknown (status not available when device is not playing)

Custom DAC settings

DAC name Special DAC

Name of the custom DAC

DAC audio device hw:0,0

Audio device for this DAC (from the list below) ex. hw:0,0

Audio device list

0) Digital alsa audio output interface `hw:0,0'

- device name = Mytek Stereo192-DSD USB2

- interface name = Mytek USB2

- usb audio class = (n/a)

- character device = /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p

- encoding formats = S24_LE, S32_LE

- monitor file = /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params

- stream file = (n/a)

Have i done this new SW update correctly?

BTW, another question, for dsf/dff streaming from minimserver, should i put dff:dopwav and dsf:dopwav in minimserver setting? Because i recall that it was not very successful to play it through DLNA to microRendu which is set also with DoP to Mytek before.

Thanks for your help again.

That looks fine. It's working here up to DSD64. Follow the Rendu MinimServer setup with DoP setup found here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonicorbiter-digital-living-network-alliance-mpd-output-mode-27265/

It should not matter either way, but you can uncheck the box in the GUI to set DoP. Also, for DoP the controllers volume has to be set to 100%.

My first try with the uR was with an old AE, the plug in type. It was plunged into a different AC line than the rest of my equipment. Then I ran an Ethernet cable into the room. Cannot say I perceived any difference, but it's of course system and ear dependent . . .

Thanks for the input. I guess the best I can do is to plug the AE into a different outlet than the rest of the sound equipment. There is nothing else to be done about the power supply in the AE, as it is one integrated unit.

I will just have to set it up and listen!

I'm using a microRendu to access DLNA output from a Minimserver running on a Synology NAS. I'm using an iPad with Linn Kazoo as the control point. Occasionally when playing a playlist, or more usually when requesting a new track, I get a drop out or re-start at the beginning of the track. Does this happen to anyone else? Any ideas? The only custom config Ive done to the Minimserver is convert FLAC to Wav on the fly before sending to the renderer.

I run Minimserver on my Synology NAS (DS411slim), and control rendering to my microRendu with BubbleUPnP. I do not use server-side FLAC>WAV conversion. I've never experienced that problem with this configuration, but I had it for a while over a year ago with a different DLNA setup (Synology Media Server/earlier version of BubbleUPnP/CuBox+Volumio).

Thanks for the input. I guess the best I can do is to plug the AE into a different outlet than the rest of the sound equipment. There is nothing else to be done about the power supply in the AE, as it is one integrated unit.

I will just have to set it up and listen!

Or you can do what I did and get a previous generation AirPort Extreme and a linear power supply. It was well worth the effort.

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

Or you can do what I did and get a previous generation AirPort Extreme and a linear power supply. It was well worth the effort.

What LPS do you use with the AirPort Extreme? This seems like it might ultimately be a good solution for me.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

I have an AirPort Extreme with the external power supply. However I am unable to configure it as a wireless bridge.

What LPS do you use with the AirPort Extreme? This seems like it might ultimately be a good solution for me.

--David

A Welbourne supply I bought many years ago. There are probably better options now. I don't even think Welbourne is around anymore.

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

I have an AirPort Extreme with the external power supply. However I am unable to configure it as a wireless bridge.

No? I thought it was a simple matter to use Airport Utility to switch an Extreme to bridge mode. I was considering doing this to bring wifi to my microRendu.

I run Minimserver on my Synology NAS (DS411slim), and control rendering to my microRendu with BubbleUPnP. I do not use server-side FLAC>WAV conversion. I've never experienced that problem with this configuration, but I had it for a while over a year ago with a different DLNA setup (Synology Media Server/earlier version of BubbleUPnP/CuBox+Volumio).

I occasionally have a very brief dropout at the very beginning of a playlist, only upon start up of a playlist. My feeling is that this is entirely DAC dependent as some DACs take longer than others to lock and un-mute their outputs (this is much more likely to happen with a change in sample rate). This is using DLNA/MPD with MiniMserver and bubble running on the NAS. As a long time user of MPD I have often felt that the MPD developers ought to add 500 mS of silence at start up specifically to allow all DACs plenty of time to lock up before the music starts. Alternately, I think it would be good practice for mastering engineers to add a second of silence at the beginning of non-gapless tracks, as this would eliminate the possibility of a dropout at the start of playback: seems like it would be a good practice considering the variety of digital playback methods in use these days for audio...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I occasionally have a very brief dropout at the very beginning of a playlist, only upon start up of a playlist. My feeling is that this is entirely DAC dependent as some DACs take longer than others to lock and un-mute their outputs (this is much more likely to happen with a change in sample rate). This is using DLNA/MPD with MiniMserver and bubble running on the NAS. As a long time user of MPD I have often felt that the MPD developers ought to add 500 mS of silence at start up specifically to allow all DACs plenty of time to lock up before the music starts. Alternately, I think it would be good practice for mastering engineers to add a second of silence at the beginning of non-gapless tracks, as this would eliminate the possibility of a dropout at the start of playback: seems like it would be a good practice considering the variety of digital playback methods in use these days for audio...

I agree it would be nice to at least allow us to configure such an initial pause. One of my DACs (fed by a Sonicorbiter SE) loses the very beginning of the first track sometimes too, but not the other one (fed by a microRendu). I've been too lazy to try to diagnose this by swapping gear around (and the slight dropout is only occasional anyway).

I experienced this annoying dropout on the beginning of a very specific track (1st mvmt of Beethoven 5th, Berliner Philharmonic Recordings, Simon Rattle conducting) on the following setup: Simaudio Moon 780D DAC, USB connection to a mrendu in DLNA mode, minimserver, BubbleUPnP as the control point). The dropout is systematic. When switching from mrendu to the internal Mind renderer that comes with the Moon 780D, the dropout disappears. So the problem seems to lie more with the UPnP implementation by the renderer. After some investigation I realized that I was streaming an MP3 version (320 Kbs) of the track. I obtained an HRes version of the track in flac format. This time the track played flawlessly, both with the mrendu and the internal Mind renderer. This could indicate that the mrendu needs a little more time to render MP3 than flac. But again, I experience this problem on this specific track only. But at least it is systematic, so we could have a better ground to expertise further. I could share this track if needed.

...then today pc says doesn't recognize audio device. Tried rebooting pc, going to sonicorbiter.com to reinitialize...no luck. Still getting 8 volts to Rendu also. What should I try?

PS: Rebooted Rendu then reset Device setting on hqp to Default Endpoint and all is well.

What is the current status of inventory?

When will the next batch ship?

Thanks

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)

My uR is visible at sonicorbiter.com, but then, 192.168.1.136 page won't open. So no access to Reboot.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Same problem as yesterday. Rendu not recognized. Whatever worked yesterday not working today.

Yesterdays post:

'...today pc says doesn't recognize audio device. Tried rebooting pc, going to sonicorbiter.com to reinitialize...no luck. Still getting 8 volts to Rendu also. What should I try?

PS: Rebooted Rendu then reset Device setting on hqp to Default Endpoint and all is well...'

Same problem as yesterday. Rendu not recognized. Whatever worked yesterday not working today.

Yesterdays post:

'...today pc says doesn't recognize audio device. Tried rebooting pc, going to sonicorbiter.com to reinitialize...no luck. Still getting 8 volts to Rendu also. What should I try?

PS: Rebooted Rendu then reset Device setting on hqp to Default Endpoint and all is well...'

Surprised no one has commented on this. But this is what seems to work (I stumbled over it). First I have a Vinnie Rossi DHT dac. Since it is a triode based device I need to turn it off when not listening. Up until now I have left hqp open. But if I shut down the DHT then HQP when not listening ... then when I am ready to listen I turn on the DHT, wait 30 seconds for the tube relays to kick in, then open HQP I don't lose network connectivity. This has worked 4 times in a row so hopefully this is a fix for me or others with a similar problem.

Surprised no one has commented on this. But this is what seems to work (I stumbled over it). First I have a Vinnie Rossi DHT dac. Since it is a triode based device I need to turn it off when not listening. Up until now I have left hqp open. But if I shut down the DHT then HQP when not listening ... then when I am ready to listen I turn on the DHT, wait 30 seconds for the tube relays to kick in, then open HQP I don't lose network connectivity. This has worked 4 times in a row so hopefully this is a fix for me or others with a similar problem.

Thanks... can use this with my Lampizator.