IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

Updates:

1. July orders start shipping tomorrow.

2. Our International Dealership program is underway.

2a. Vortex box UK is now selling the microRendu - Vortexbox in UK!

2b. Vortexbox AU is coming soon - Vortexbox in Australia!

Awesome! I'm gonna camp at the doorstep until it arrives.

Speaker Rig: Roon > microRendu + HDPlex 100W > Yggdrasil > iTube > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II 

Vinyl Rig: Sansui SR-2050C > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II

Home Rig: Roon > microRendu > iPurifier 2 > Yggdrasil > iCAN SE > HD800S (LPS: HDPlex 100W)

Office Rig: Roon > mac mini > iDSD BL > HD800S / Viso HP50 / Marshall Major II

Yes, please, feature request - increment the version number with every change, 2.1.x for small fixes, 2.x for major or multiple fixes.

Will make it easy to know where you are at, and can only save people time in the long run

Absolutely agree! Right now I am enjoying the Rendu and don't want to update its os but if there is solid rationale I might.

I bought the Ethernet cable that Swenson recommended but I cant get my system to recognize my network/rendu. I am puzzled as to why this is so. I tried shutting down my dac, the rendu, the pc. Only thing I did not try is shutting down my router. Any suggestions? I thought it may be a defective Ethernet cable but I tried it else where and it works.

I bought the Ethernet cable that Swenson recommended but I cant get my system to recognize my network/rendu. I am puzzled as to why this is so. I tried shutting down my dac, the rendu, the pc. Only thing I did not try is shutting down my router. Any suggestions? I thought it may be a defective Ethernet cable but I tried it else where and it works.

What happens when you go to MySonicorbiter in your browser?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

So I should have clarified that I tried the BJ Ethernet from the router to the rendu and it not work. So I tried the cable from my pc to the router and 'holy batman (aka Swenson)' it made a very positive improvement there. So I got some benefit after all. But I would still like to make it work from the router to the micro rendu.

Updates:

1. July orders start shipping tomorrow.

2. Our International Dealership program is underway.

2a. Vortex box UK is now selling the microRendu - Vortexbox in UK!

2b. Vortexbox AU is coming soon - Vortexbox in Australia!

The Australia site lists the mR specs as DSD up to DSD256, doesn't list DSD512 as one of the formats.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

A quick usage question: I would like to use two DACs with one microRendu in RoonReady mode. Is it possible to attach a USB hub to the output of the microRendu and two DACs to the hub and switch between them ...? If so, where/how is the switch made? MANY THANKS! Mike

Hi Mike,

you CAN do that, but it defeats the whole purpose of the microRendu. The microRendu is designed to have extremely high signal integrity on its USB output, putting a hub on the output means the DAC is going to be driven by a USB output that is nowhere near as good as what comes out of the microRendu.

If you really want to try this you can use the custom DAC section of the microRendu web page to create two different names for your two DACs and switch between them using the squeezlite section of the settings tab.

You may find a hub that doesn't degrade the sound too much and might be acceptable to you.

John S.

Michael Lavorgna just posted his review of the microRendu on AudioStream:

Sonore by Simple Design microRendu | AudioStream

Conclusion of the review:

If you own a USB DAC and want to play network-attached music through it, the Sonore microRendu is currently the best option I've come across—regardless of price. If that doesn't make your computer-audio-music-loving heart bulge with delight, I don't know what will.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Michael Lavorgna just posted his review of the microRendu on AudioStream:

Sonore by Simple Design microRendu | AudioStream

Congrats to you and your team Jesus!

Digital: 2010(!) Mac Mini Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz ; L2 Cache: 3 MB; Memory:8 GB > Roon > HQ Player (polysinc, NS9 upsampling PCM to 192 kHz) > Airport Extreme > Blue Jeans USB cable > Sonore MicroRendu (in NAA mode w/ Sonore DC-4 > LPS-1) > Benchmark HGC DAC2 > Naim Nait XS / Naim Flatcap XS > Naim Naic cables > Spendor A5s or Sennheiser HD600s.

HQPlayer sounds phenomenal through the microRendu. I have, however, had an issue when trying to play DSD256 files through HQP. I'd appreciate suggestions (and HQP settings) from anyone able to play their DSD256 files successfully with a Geek Pulse DAC already firmware upgraded to play DSD256. Thanks.

I always have issues when playing/upsampling HQPlayer in DSD 128. The problem is the computer, a Macbook pro.

Maybe you are having the same problem? HQPlayer needs a very fast machine. I am looking for options of i7 6700k processor or up.

If you look at the processor activities you can figure out if this is the problem. My macbook sometimes shows 130% of processor use.

Audio system: APL Streamer-> APL DSD-MR MK2 DAC -> Audiopax Maggiore L50 Pre and M100 Monoblocks -> Tidal Contriva G2 speakers

I always have issues when playing/upsampling HQPlayer in DSD 128. The problem is the computer, a Macbook pro.

Maybe you are having the same problem? HQPlayer needs a very fast machine. I am looking for options of i7 6700k processor or up.

If you look at the processor activities you can figure out if this is the problem. My macbook sometimes shows 130% of processor use.

Thanks. This may be my issue as I use a MacBook Pro in BootCamp mode. Will try again with another computer. Thankfully everything up through DSD128 plays fine.

I am enjoying the Microrendu but the unit is clearly too hot. I have air space all around it plus heat sinks on top of it. It is too hot to keep fingers on for very long. I have connected via included usb connector to Schiit Yggy DAC. I thought I read here you can lower the voltage of the Ifi ipower psu that i boought with the unit but I don't see how to do this. Suggestions? Thanks

I am enjoying the Microrendu but the unit is clearly too hot. I have air space all around it plus heat sinks on top of it. It is too hot to keep fingers on for very long. I have connected via included usb connector to Schiit Yggy DAC. I thought I read here you can lower the voltage of the Ifi ipower psu that i boought with the unit but I don't see how to do this. Suggestions? Thanks

The best way to cool it off is to put it vertically on its side so air flows flows up the two large sides. This will cool it off a lot.

I made a stand for this position with a block of wood with four dowels sicking up, the microRendu sits in between them.

John S.

I have a sample question :

Can this device work only with the below setup for playing back songs ?

NAS - Network Switch - Microrendu - DAC ( controlled by ipad )

I am keen not to have a PC in the playback chain. I connect to my NAS only when I want to add music.

I have a sample question :

Can this device work only with the below setup for playing back songs ?

NAS - Network Switch - Microrendu - DAC ( controlled by ipad )

I am keen not to have a PC in the playback chain. I connect to my NAS only when I want to add music.

Should work fine, but it depends on what streamer apps your NAS supports. DLNA is probably your best bet. Which NAS is it?

Question for John Swenson. I posted this regarding the EMO Systems EN-70H. I have one before my modem for surge protection of the devices. However, I decided to purchase another to try before the µRendu. I'm quite surprised by what I *think* is a subjective improvement. I'd be curious to know your thoughts on this.

Audio Applications are here.

Datasheet_EN-70-V40.pdf

sales (at) emosystems (dot) com

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Guys, if you're using Roon with the microRendu, please ensure you have volume levelling DISABLED. My audio server ssd failed and when I switched Roon to another pc I initially didn't notice that volume levelling was enabled. For a while it kept me wondering why the sound wasn't nearly as good. I really don't see why Roon has this enabled by default.