IGNORED

Music for testing Audio Equipment

10 hours ago, Priaptor said:

I couldn't agree more.  I have given up on them.  I have been requesting it from them for the last 4 years always to be met with the same "we are a small company and have NO intention to change our ways".  In fact they used to do some downloads on highresaudio and have stopped that.  

They have now on their website some albums for DL in Flac 24/88.

Roch

Gary Koh of Genisis tech speakers has a list of albums on his website. It gives details how use

the tracks.   It’s all of the above and much more.  

One album I use is Elton john tumbleweed connection.  

Must be dsd 64 rip or real dsd download I for one don’t trust HD tracks 

try chads pace acoustic sounds. 

The album is very good quality over all but three tracks stand out in quality and have some important sounds needed. 

Come down in time is very clean and has strings 

the opening strings must be upfront 

next is love song it’s mainly vocals but has both Elton alone and with others on and off good for separation.   Amps and digital can ruin this track 

lastly the amp clipping track. 

Talking old solders this track has not just piano 

but pounding ones 

play some what loud them back off about 6db that’s 4 times less loud and if your setup changes from loud to low levels it’s clippling 

find how loud before it changes 

we all have amps that clip but have learned to love it lol. 

This track has amazing impact and clarity as most know piano is of the hardest to playback well.  Each strike has an initial hit and bloom after it 

clearly each hit must be heard alone if it’s blending again clipping or jitter or both.  

Now don’t bash my comments here and the above posts I will use as well.  

One thought. 

No system can play rock , jazz and complex classical great there is always tradoffs but a system that can do all great is a superb setup. 

From power to speakers.  

Plesee try my music and comment back. 

Thank you in advance 

2 hours ago, biosailor said:

A superb recording from Chesky Record, with a stellar quartet consisting of trumpeter Ray Hargrove, guitarist Russell Malone, bassist John Webber, and the legendary drummer Jimmy Cobb. A fine set of musicians and a fine recording! I'm listening to the 24/192 AIFF download from HDtracks. The booklet that comes along with the record says the trumpet is off-center to the left, guitar on the left, bass straight ahead, and the drums to the right. So far all OK, except that the trumpet is dead center. Nevertheless, a fantastic take, both by the musicians and from the recording aspect.

Link: http://www.chesky.com/album/jazz-key-blue-sacd344

JitKoB.jpg

Biosailor! Great recommendations!

• 2 weeks later...
On 16-3-2018 at 9:17 PM, Ralf11 said:

someone on another site posted that cymbal crashes could be very diagnostic

(he was talking about good analog vs. digital tho)

On 16-3-2018 at 6:16 PM, PAP said:

Here the studio is the jazzclub:D

Ruud-300shadowv4.pngWild Man Blues

Check the title track ''Wild Man Blues'' lots of cymbal crashes:D

• 1 month later...
On 21/3/2018 at 4:29 PM, biosailor said:

A superb recording from Chesky Record, with a stellar quartet consisting of trumpeter Ray Hargrove, guitarist Russell Malone, bassist John Webber, and the legendary drummer Jimmy Cobb. A fine set of musicians and a fine recording! I'm listening to the 24/192 AIFF download from HDtracks. The booklet that comes along with the record says the trumpet is off-center to the left, guitar on the left, bass straight ahead, and the drums to the right. So far all OK, except that the trumpet is dead center. Nevertheless, a fantastic take, both by the musicians and from the recording aspect.

Link: http://www.chesky.com/album/jazz-key-blue-sacd344

JitKoB.jpg

On 21/3/2018 at 6:36 PM, Nordkapp said:

Biosailor! Great recommendations!

+2

It is one of the better Chesky recordings. Maybe because there is no piano....I sometimes find that their piano sound lacks compared to the other instruments.

Lately, this is the track I always start with when I demo my system to friends.

It has everything; lows, highs, detail etc.

Just crank it up and close your eyes. :)

Afterglow, Lydia Ainsworth

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

Not so much of a perfect album, but the opening track 'La Nevada', a 15 minute something of a piano pulling in the spectacular drumming of Charlie Persip, followed by a tight bass play of Ron Carter and getting into an ever more complex play with horns/trumpets and tuba. It is amazing how this complex set up is spatially nicely resolved on this track. And despite having it recorded in 1960! Impulse record's recording is usually very good!

GE_OotC.jpg.8073228e31eb29f5409a654fc8e87f62.jpg

On 5/14/2018 at 12:46 PM, PAP said:

+2

It is one of the better Chesky recordings. Maybe because there is no piano....I sometimes find that their piano sound lacks compared to the other instruments.

I hadn't thought about that. Maybe you have a point. But jazz in the key of Blue is a fine album, so +3.

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/16/2018 at 11:36 AM, biosailor said:

Not so much of a perfect album, but the opening track 'La Nevada', a 15 minute something of a piano pulling in the spectacular drumming of Charlie Persip, followed by a tight bass play of Ron Carter and getting into an ever more complex play with horns/trumpets and tuba. It is amazing how this complex set up is spatially nicely resolved on this track. And despite having it recorded in 1960! Impulse record's recording is usually very good!

GE_OotC.jpg.8073228e31eb29f5409a654fc8e87f62.jpg

Can't say for sure about this one, but most Riverside and Impulse recordings of that era were recorded by Rudy Van Gelder & Co. The "stereo" ones were actually 3-channel mono, but in a small jazz ensemble, that doesn't really matter that much and since it's the convention. But Van Gelder knew how to record jazz to get the best sound out of the instruments and it's probably the main reason why these recordings are so much in demand year after year and keep reappearing in whatever new distribution format comes down the pike.  

Thanks for bringing it to my attention as well! Ron Carter was, without a doubt, the best bassist in the history of jazz, a real legend.

I'm listening to it right now, via Amazon's "Music Unlimited" Excellent! Does anyone know if it's available as a high-res download from any service?

George

On 5/30/2018 at 11:38 AM, oso said:

I hadn't thought about that. Maybe you have a point. But jazz in the key of Blue is a fine album, so +3.

Piano sound will always "lack" when the recording producer/engineer puts the piano microphone(s) inside the piano! I don't know about any of you, but I've never listened to a piano with my head inside the piano! Have you? To me that practice is every kind of wrong!

George

I sometimes take the opposite approach: not albums that are great recordings, but albums that sound bad if the reproduction isn't top notch. 

A few examples off the top of my head:

CD of the Byrds "Mr. Tambourine Man". The treble is harsh on systems that aren't up to snuff. It sounds okay on quality systems.

Don Cherry: Art Deco album: title track or "Bemsha Swing": again, Trumpet sounds harsh and strident on lesser systems; sounds like a trumpet with the right amount of bite on better ones. 

The Who, "Slip Kid" : a lot of systems have issues reproducing the opening 20 seconds. they can't handle the  bass and percussion playback without sounding compressed or sort of tied in knots. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)